Weekly Dev Update: 2016 August 5th - Prefabs, Weather, Creatures and more

Not sure how you can make a valid or even complete comparison from a single conceptual, incomplete model with variation. If I recall the chisel before had 1 texture for all its different types. Here you are being shown conceptual variations for base metals, alloy metals, and gems. Noticing that the base metal looks crude and flimsy, alloy refined and sturdy, and gem more refined with a gem texture and intricacy. That’s just my opinion and observation though.

They mentioned before that the items looks quite different until rendered in the game same as when they showed of their item models and everything seemed plastic like. That should explain the textures at least.

As far as I understand prefab right, it is a predefined landscape pattern which then can be modified. Quite frankly I found this so helpful in generating a first landscape. Admitted, you made it easier to achieve a first accomplishment in the world builder. It has the advantage of wanting to do it again. Maybe next time with new windows aligned and different modifiers changed. It is very welcoming and accommodating from my point of view.

The current hammer models (wich are already in the game) have way less polys and overall detail than the old ones. And Imo that’s a big step backwards

1 Like

Amazing progress guys!

I pretty like how you changed the tools now! Wood and stone are authentic and gem with a little stone on the bottom looks pretty neat too!

2 Likes

That’s awesome! So we can now also make craters or half buried buildings as well!

Agreed! For me personally, it felt a little cumbersome having to open your inventory and then hold down Q to assign things to your hands. Having a quicker, cleaner interface to swap things around in that regard definitely gets my vote!

I think the new tool models/textures look ok, with maybe one small exception being the blue band mid-way up, as it looks too much like the sapphire colour used in the gem chisel (unless it’s meant to be sapphire?).

Also, personally I’m glad in a slight reduction in poly count, as with all the new items being added, my ageing machine is going to start chugging a lot more!

All-in-all though, August is looking to be a great month for updates!

I think this month I’m most looking forward to seeing what the first pass of player progression brings to the game and also being able to get a bit creative with some prefab ideas :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve been on a beach too hard at work!

My shoulders and elbows hurt today… (no shovel!) Hole’s about 1.5 metre diameter and a metre deep some googling, seems I moved about 3 tons of sand

10 Likes

why… was there a pokemon under there?

3 Likes

And yet you’re still sculpting terrain :stuck_out_tongue:

Just look at that cave drop!

1 Like

Gonna add this quality content to the collection.

3 Likes

Harambe loved digging holes :’(

1 Like

Ummmm… Why?

Did you find any gems?

2 Likes

Don’t forget to beacon it otherwise it will regen :wink:

6 Likes

Will the Weather from different biomes blend?

As one of those players, thanks a lot! It also looks amazing. The square shape also makes it so much easier to follow.
Is there also the option to have it fade in whenever you change your items and letting it disappear again after that?

Still a big NO from me^^

Whoever that is.

1 Like

HARAMBE is a Lovely Gorilla! How do you not know of him <3

oh that one, maybe because I only save important information in my brain.
And no, before you ask, Pokémon Go Memes are not important information^^

Now that you’ve said it you should consider deleting it. Doesn’t really belong on these forums.

Agree dont really know why i actully sad that

Yes - still a work in progress. Big improvements to the GUI and HUD still coming.

Planning to give players controls over HUD presentation, options like: Always display, Hide Slowly, Hide Instantly.

5 Likes