Weekly Dev Update: 2016 July 29th - World Wrapping, Prefabs and more

Could you also make a small ruined fort or more complex statue than obelisk that could be inserted into the world(I’m expecting here that the frequency of the prefabs appearance in the world can be adjusted) to add a sense of past civilization?

So I was thinking about utilizing prefabs as way to make handcrafted “details” for the worlds, if that clears up what I meant.

There was a similar functionality in minecraft, maybe with mods but I forget. You were able to have a bunch of structures and you could define how often they spawn, types of areas they spawn in, etc. So you could make a ruined castle that only spawns in hill biomes above y=60 and has at least 80 blocks between them, for example.

Yes - the Prefab can be any creative or simple or complex creation you want. It will be placed in the world - as is. The Prefab will adopt the tint values of the world so that it blends in.

There is a size limit of the Prefab, probably 32m x 32m. So they can be fairly large.

But to repeat, the prefab system isn’t for dynamicly generated structures - unless you did something amazingly funky with the distribution of prefabs with a discrete noise function on a grid and some tesselating structures.

Even then better to use our dungeon + Titan generation.

4 Likes

Now THIS stuff is getting me excited for exploration.

2 Likes

Awesome update :smile: Added all the art to the collection. Any news on when we’ll hear more about guilds?

That compactor looks like a pokemon

Just how versitile is the prefab system? Can it be used to create and scatter landscape features that can’t be otherwise made in the world Gen such as waterfalls, hot springs, or gysers? Could it make spacecraft wreckage? Colossal fossilized skeletons? Creature nests? Cave homes? Can it do underground prefab like buried relics, lost expeditions, or abandoned cave operations?

I can literally think of a thousand potential scenarios beyond standard prefab buildings.

4 Likes

This is probably a really dumb question. How do I make a prefab and submit it?

The first version of Prefabs will allow you to place all natural and crafted blocks and block variations (steps, walls, slabs). Think of it as a micro creative mode where the result is stored in the Boundless.Worlds bundle and used can be used to decorate worlds.

However, the following will not be initially supported: Liquid blocks and advanced Entity blocks (machines, storage, beacons, locks, etc).

No - no fluid blocks.

No - no fluid blocks.

No - no fluid blocks.

Yes.

Yes - but must be within 32x32 size.

Yes.

No - first version does support “negative” blocks allowing you to scope out the landscape.

Yes - but they might poke out into caves and landscape overhangs.

Yes.

Yes - but must be within 32x32.

6 Likes

Every update gets me soo damn exited about this game man :slight_smile:
Keep up the excellent work you guys are doing.
even thou its hard to get things working right, it seems that, in just a short time, this game has accomplished so much that other games alike have not even come close to.
The game is just looking better and better. I wish you guys good luck and hope that this game will become as exellent as it seems it will become! :smiley: :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Random question i have in mind will boundless ever have coral reefs i feel some sandbox game need some under water exploration

2 Likes

With prefabs you could just build custom coralreefs

1 Like

Actually I think that would have to be a world builder feature

Why? Just build custom corals and let them generate under water

1 Like

I guess we’d need need to have an actual coral style block in the game first ^^ (and probably some sort of function or purpose for it!).

Because with world gen, they could easily be larger, appearing at the same depth in all oceans, and because prefab can’t include water as James mentioned.

1 Like

I think James meant it can’t include water source blocks (I could be wrong on that one though!), which would allow water to be generated over a certain height… which then causes the problems of what to do with water flowing into beacons etc.

I’d imagine that it would be fine to just build your own coral as a prefab and then just state on the world builder that it can only appear in certain places / depths on the map, where the water source blocks would actually be generated on a map.

4 Likes

Ah, that clarifies things considerably.

1 Like

I cann’t understand: here is nothing about the Cuttletrunk, only about the Hopper. Did you mean analogy between two creatures?

I’m not a professional translator but very want to help you with localisation (ru)! What I need to do for that?

2 Likes