Weekly Dev Update: 2016 May 20th - Mega threads, Mac OS X issues and more

I don’t agree with this part. It rewards us, but will make players who join after feel as though they’ve missed out and think that the game is unfair.

Also how do you do the Northern/Southern thing with wrapped worlds? Like if you don’t have a map, even of the minimap variety, north/south really has no meaning on wrapped worlds.

1 Like

I believe that north/south would be determined on a mathematically wrapped world the same as it would be on a true spherical world- where does the sun rise and set? East and west may be arbitrary, but north and south poles are less abstract.

The simpliest way to wrap a rectangular world is to make a torus. In torus world north and south directions not less adstract than east and west.

1 Like

Don’t forget that we’re just wrapping a 2d plane (effectively), not a sphere - our worlds are flat, not spherical! Cardinal directions are the same no matter which side of the wrapped edge you are on

2 Likes

I’m aware that the world’s are technically 2d, but I’m not savvy enough with math to determine how that works out when mathmagically wrapping a 2d plane into a sphere. Would not the northern edge remain “north”? That’s what I’m basing my statement on, and the dev post by Luca (iirc) saying a spherical wrap was doable.

Sphere has two singular points - poles, where any distance of square grid turns into zero.
It’s very intriguingly, how Luca want to wrap foursquare to sphere.

I’m pretty sure it’s not a spherical wrap at all (treating these worlds as an actual sphere adds a hell of a lot of complexity to the coordinate system, and distortion around poles)

My understanding is that you just ‘teleport’ to the other edge of the map, and the game engine renders both edges seamlessly at the same time. Think of it like pac man

The work Luca did to enable wrapping worlds was to make sure that the world generator generates terrain that lines up on either side of the (unwrapped) world’s edge, so that it appears seamless. (And the math behind that is complicated - but Luca is a wizard; we’re in good hands)

7 Likes

That’s how I’ve always thought about our world generation, simulation and rendering. :ghost:

5 Likes

To clarify. Yes, the wrapping is toroidal/pac-man/asteroids wrapping, not a sphere, which means that there is no such thing as a north or south pole.

10 Likes

Pardon me while I quietly delete my previous comments… you didn’t see anything! :wave:

(I’ll actually leave them to prevent future confusion, just pretend they’re not there)

3 Likes

Does this mean the inside of the torus will be forever night? :smiley:

This means there is no torus.

What are you even trying to say?

It means that the entire world is either day or night, there is no dark side or light side.

3 Likes

It’s not real torus physically. It’s only matematical abstraction, tolopology rules of wrapping forming where (100;Y)+(1;0)=(-100;Y) and (X;100)+(0;1)=(X;-100). If you imagine toroidal world with sun around that, it’s not correct. Sun here is subjective item like endlesses of the world.

2 Likes

It depends on the motion of the world. Which we can something interesting planned.

3 Likes

It’s been a while since we’ve had a good spoiler… go oooonnnn…

2 Likes

sees math

head explodes

3 Likes

I know right? THIS IS WHY I WENT FOR THAT GRAPHIC ARTS DEGREE, PEOPLE!

2 Likes

Do continue :slight_smile: