What happened to the original rendering engine?

Exactly!

Yes, but the video posted by @Ocfos is 4 years older than the EA lighting change. And, if I’m not mistaken, that video was the first Boundless promo video, still showing builds and a world gen engine from Oort Online. If you want a clear picture of the more known Early-Access lighting, you need to see the second trailer: Second Trailer.

@Ocfos, also, there were at least a few changes to the game graphics. The first and major one was when the game went from being made in Java to being made in C++ ( Topic about that). A lot of things were lost because of that, including the clouds, which are not present in the second trailer. There were also changes to textures, planets and lighting itself, which is the change @Buugi is referring to.

1 Like

As a PS4 player I need to ask, what’s rendering?

2 Likes

I’m not sure, but I think it’s like, one of those urban legends.

As a potato user, I’m not sure it even actually exists :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

@nightstar

Oh sure, you can still do 1080p and have all the rendering you need considering the payload of sprites and spare interrupts on a potato… they’re just on the bottom. It just doesn’t do USB3 or Bluetooth because of the russet bus limitations. I hear good things about the new potatoes :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Of course the potato has a vga port

1 Like

No, that’s not at all what I mean. Hell, I’ve played Minecraft since the first version of Alpha came out (Thanks TF2 blog).

I genuinely just wondered why the game didn’t look like that anymore, but if its due to changing engine at one point, I completely understand.

A shame, but hey it’s not game-breaking.
…Though it may be disappointing newcomers who expects it to look like that. Would probably be a wise idea to make an up-to-date trailer, once the melee update comes out, and some of the gameplay has been patched up a bit. (farming, exp balance/rewards, crafting, etc.)

The graphics in that video look like the JavaScript version from before the rewrite in C++. It ran on your browser using WebGL. It’s not coming back.

4 Likes

Aye, Java isn’t very good at sandbox games in the grander scale (barely modded minecraft makes my FPS cry, because Java)

Thank you for that info though, because it’s been so long I genuinely couldn’t even remember, that there used to be a browser version.

additionally at around after the first gleambow event that they changed the lighting software again to their own coded one which changed the glow of all gleam colors , especially shadow colors (my shadoooowwwww blueee sob) with that change darker gleam colors glowed less strong before all gleam colors had the same glow radius and strengh . also stuff got more “shiny” like marble

it should be this update

Note that Java and JavaScript are very different languages. Programmers just really like coffee.

1 Like

Or the biggest island in Indonesia.

Isn’t that the blob effect you get when you’re to far away. Or maybe it’s the blobbing effect of the blob effect. :joy::rofl::joy:

On topic tough didn’t lighting change somewhere around farming?
And fixes ar all good and well but hoop they start working on other things like titans, hunters and those moving things from the end of that clip.

To add don’t think that clip is even comparable with the game TBH. As it has some stuff in it that never made it in to the game. Yes the fog is in it and the blinding light rays to :wink:.

(And im wondering that Hopper… did it use the portal? Why can’t i take my spitter for a walk on an other planet…?)

1 Like

The gigantic thing with moving whatsies is a titan.

2 Likes

Ah didn’t know that thx :wink: figured it was a giant Oortian walking around. [edit] titan i mean.

2 Likes

tfw no hopper buddy :pensive:

1 Like

See. I started June 2019. I was not aware of the lighting change. But I remember that water was rendered different when I started. Standing on the shore, I could look down into it and see the bottom. For me it was clear as glass. First 2 months, I never swam because I was afraid of falling down into these cloudy valleys. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Borneo? Is that a programming language? It should be… maybe I have a new project now.

1 Like

yes water blocks also changed ,basically all blocks that had transparency and shine changed like the devs stated in the "engine " section of that patch ,they also typed that the quality loss was in an acceptable range in favor of perfomance ,they had to do it cuz they were expecting the universe to get flodded with glass XD

1 Like

And it did he said as he tiptoes over that glass floor.

1 Like

I remember this. I had to totally redo my base so I could even see what was in storage. Weeks of work down the drain to recreate the same spaces with more lighting. Not fun at all from what I recalll. And now I have let it all regen and stored everything so I never have to worry again.

Was this good for the game? Who knows

1 Like