What happened to the original rendering engine?

I’m talking about the one showcased in the original trailer(s) from way back in the day.

The sun shafts still seem to use the same tech, but I’d really love to see something like this return, if only as an opt-in.

6 Likes

Being a graphic designer in the past I understand what you want here, personally I’d much rather the devs focus on adding content and fixing bugs than actually worrying about visuals at the moment. Sure maybe update the visuals when you update the engine etc… but otherwise I think there is a larger audience that would really enjoy more content.

7 Likes

They changed lighting before launch… That what happened Pretty much.

3 Likes

Aw. I quite enjoyed its look… I wonder how hard it’d be to make a clientside mod for it.

2 Likes

I know some players actually quit cause of the changes For lighting… For me it was Pretty Hard To adapt.

5 Likes

I can understand, because it kinda feels like a downgrade, to some degree.

2 Likes

well just in general the whole video is wrong the content but yeah they do have to change it though
because its not WYSIWYG feels more like umm an aliexpress among the games
overall still love it but yeah like i said its how you bring your customers

2 Likes

Just assume that anything without “actual in game footage” is not actual in game footage.

3 Likes

I did remember it used to look like that, though. So I wouldn’t say it’s not in game footage.

It’s just not up to date in game footage.

I suppose my point above was if you are more concerned about a graphical difference and not the gameplay then maybe this isn’t the game for you. I remember with Minecraft I was hated it and never wanted to play it… mainly because it looked like an 8bit/16bit game and when I finally played it because my friend really needed some help I became addicted. Now I won’t say I didn’t add some texture packs or even play with Shaders at some point, but in the end I realized the game was just was awesome. I did played modded prior to playing Vanilla so that may have been a bigger draw for me.

With that said, I get the yearning for better/improved graphics, but I don’t think that is the current focus and shouldn’t be. I would like to see more people playing the game. I think adding more end-game content may not be the smartest area to focus on either, but maybe I’ll create a topic to discuss all of that.

2 Likes

Exactly!

Yes, but the video posted by @Ocfos is 4 years older than the EA lighting change. And, if I’m not mistaken, that video was the first Boundless promo video, still showing builds and a world gen engine from Oort Online. If you want a clear picture of the more known Early-Access lighting, you need to see the second trailer: Second Trailer.

@Ocfos, also, there were at least a few changes to the game graphics. The first and major one was when the game went from being made in Java to being made in C++ ( Topic about that). A lot of things were lost because of that, including the clouds, which are not present in the second trailer. There were also changes to textures, planets and lighting itself, which is the change @Buugi is referring to.

1 Like

As a PS4 player I need to ask, what’s rendering?

2 Likes

I’m not sure, but I think it’s like, one of those urban legends.

As a potato user, I’m not sure it even actually exists :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

@nightstar

Oh sure, you can still do 1080p and have all the rendering you need considering the payload of sprites and spare interrupts on a potato… they’re just on the bottom. It just doesn’t do USB3 or Bluetooth because of the russet bus limitations. I hear good things about the new potatoes :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Of course the potato has a vga port

1 Like

No, that’s not at all what I mean. Hell, I’ve played Minecraft since the first version of Alpha came out (Thanks TF2 blog).

I genuinely just wondered why the game didn’t look like that anymore, but if its due to changing engine at one point, I completely understand.

A shame, but hey it’s not game-breaking.
…Though it may be disappointing newcomers who expects it to look like that. Would probably be a wise idea to make an up-to-date trailer, once the melee update comes out, and some of the gameplay has been patched up a bit. (farming, exp balance/rewards, crafting, etc.)

The graphics in that video look like the JavaScript version from before the rewrite in C++. It ran on your browser using WebGL. It’s not coming back.

4 Likes

Aye, Java isn’t very good at sandbox games in the grander scale (barely modded minecraft makes my FPS cry, because Java)

Thank you for that info though, because it’s been so long I genuinely couldn’t even remember, that there used to be a browser version.

additionally at around after the first gleambow event that they changed the lighting software again to their own coded one which changed the glow of all gleam colors , especially shadow colors (my shadoooowwwww blueee sob) with that change darker gleam colors glowed less strong before all gleam colors had the same glow radius and strengh . also stuff got more “shiny” like marble

it should be this update

Note that Java and JavaScript are very different languages. Programmers just really like coffee.

1 Like