What helps or motivates you to build

I had a relization that what might help me build is if im doing a building a pattern. Recently i tried to return consistantly to a one off build, one which doesnt have repeating patterns or designs that repeat.

Its been hard to return consistsntly to it and that led me to believe in patterns as the last thing i built was nothing but a wall with a repeating design.

And the last addition to my base is merely a continuation of a halllway with a repeating wall design.

This makes me happy i may now know what can help me build. I do love to build but too often i just do nothing.l and hop around.

What little things have you discovered that help motivate you to build in general? This is opposite of another thread about what blocks you.

As i think more on what i learned about myself the more i come to believe it as all my builds that have gone anywhere have patterns and parts repeated.

4 Likes

Nothing Now, Just being Honest

Glad to hear you are motivated, Good luck with your builds.

3 Likes

Browsing through various artwork or pictures of architectural wonders always help me to want to build.
When I’m stuck in the middle of a project, I sometime let the burn out pass, taking a break from building or playing altogether.

Otherwise I switch between tasks during building. For example: if I’m sick of chiseling the same pattern over a large part of build, I drop it and start working on the floor or a different part of the same build and go back to that tedious chiseling later.

1 Like

For me, I always find that I do my best building (and go back to a build to continue it) when I have a general idea for a theme (so a set of materials to use, and shapes or styles I’d like to incorporate), but trying not to plan it too much. Having a full, definitive plan of what I want for a full build usually ends up feeling overwhelming and I get part way through building before giving up.

However, if I just build one small component at a time, and if I try to build it in keeping with the landscape that it’s going on (as opposed to the massive builds I’ve seen that just flatten everything and work from there), I tend to get my best building done. I generally feel like it’s more satisfying and not as overwhelming to “just add on more feature” when I feel like it or when inspiration strikes.

3 Likes

When I HAVE the bug to build, have inspiration for something, I can do a lot quickly, but the problem is, I often don’t have that motivation. For whatever reason, I can mine and hunt endlessly but if not motivated, as I just mentioned in another thread, I can be really lazy about building projects.

What does give me motivation I’ve found - if I know what I’m building will be useful or enjoyed by somebody else. Like, putting up mines on a new sovereign. Also, getting nice feedback gives me a real boost. If we had a blueprinting system to let us easily share builds for others to use, I think I’d have more building motivation too.

6 Likes

you are speaking my language now :sunglasses:

1 Like

The hope of one day finishing. . . 4000 hours into my mansion. . . solo . . . but I am 3/4 done! It will be done darnit . . . someone come visit me. . . so lonely. . .

6 Likes

Where is your place? I went to find it awhile back to see your progress but not sure how to get there haha

3 Likes

Hey that’s cool of you @Shadykatt34

GTG Global has recently built a small hub near my place. Use their network to get to Xa Frant and you’ll see the mansion out in the distance.

4 Likes

@Creegle, you actually keep playing! :grin: :sunglasses: :open_mouth:
haven’t seen you around forums for ages

3 Likes

LOL yesh, hi buddy. I play almost daily still. I just lurk on the forums more than talk. Let’s get together!

4 Likes

Get In there LEWI… CREEGLE

I will visit you. Didnt knew you still play.
I come To see your progress… Its kinda In my memory what it looked like few years ago

4 Likes

I don’t really need motivation to build I just enjoy building. I do like walking around the world and looking for inspiration. It’s never the big builds that really inspire me though, it is usually the fine details of a good chisel, a different way of layering blocks or maybe just a new combo of materials I didn’t think of.

Also what I am building (color storage, shop, etc.) helps me determine what I want. Lately, I have been on a more modern kick with white concrete as a base and using colored accents.

1 Like

Love the view from your front steps.

5 Likes

All I’ll say is @Shadykatt34 and her partner motivates me.

I’ve started a few projects but finally sticking to one I loving.

I’m big on doing odd shapes challenging myself and the game.

Z :rabbit:

5 Likes

Pop over to Trior amazing builds here then my odd builds.

Z :rabbit:

1 Like

Dune, you absolute beast! I wish I hadn’t missed you! Thanks for the shout-out brother! Nice screenshots by the way wow! Hope to see you soon :+1:

3 Likes

Dune is actually flying dev. Ross the pie man In disguise

3 Likes

:rofl: They probably rent the servers from him too.

2 Likes

Mainly what motivates me to build is splitting things up.
I always go big one way or an other, even when i start small I always end up expending my build before I actually finish some part of it.
So i have learned over these years the benefits of knowing what i can and can’t do in a “set” area.
Also have learned to build a concept or basic structure first even if I don’t know what it should look like.

So i start with planning and building the “centerpiece” first and keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be perfect if im not sure of the design (I’ll probably end up redoing it anyway at some point).
Follow by planning roads structures and building a basic version for those. So i have a overview of what space i have and might need to maybe expand again.

When i build the final design i also section it in parts.
Walls for example depending on how high they are ill build and chisel per lvl.
Terra Nova for example the “hub walls” are 2,5 plots high and the top 0,5 plot goes inward to the center of the hub.
So ill do the lower plots first all around (letting me chisel up) followed by the second plots (up) all around (letting me chisel down) and then the last 0,5 plots (up) all around. (Hope this makes sense :wink:)
So when im done with the walls I don’t have to go back to those or have to remember what i did in the first place. (This case pattern is burned in to my brain :joy:)

I can’t stress enough what motivates me the most to keep building is a well planned layout with a lot of temporary construction.
That if things don’t work you just can remove without losing to much work or go back to and design it afterwards when your construction does work.

2 Likes