What I wanted Boundless to be

People need to stop comparing games.

There’s a huge difference between being inspired from, and being a copycat.

Aside from being voxelbased, I don’t think Boundless and Minecraft are alike in any way.

Once people start to realize Boundless is it’s own game, and they can’t force it to mould the way they feel it “should,” then they’ll be better able to understand what might work better for suggestions.

I don’t mean to sound rude. I’m basically saying it is what it is. That is the game.
Sometimes things just don’t make sense. Why is Sega’s mascot a blue hedgehog? It was pretty much a “why not?” decision and everyone accepted it. There were no arguments. Maybe a bad example, but I’m not deleting it. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

that is never going to happen tho unless you come up with a totally 100% new IP there will always be comparisons i cant count how many times any MMORPG that came out during WoW’s prime time was just called a “clone” regardless of what was in the game and in the current sate boundless is in it is really just a super striped down HD version of minecraft minus the modding and general freedom you get in minecraft

this is the one case i 100% agree with OP i think the devs bit off more then they could chew makeing it a MMO and what boundless “could be” is suffering alot cuz of it

1 Like

What’s funny is WoW was the first big clone. It literally took one segment of the big games at the time, and polished it off very well with ‘cartoony ‘ graphics that could run on a potato computer so it could be sold to anyone and everyone, very unlike many games at the time which tried to be super realistic and ‘super awesome graphics’.

WoW took Everquests insane quest system and refined that.
It took dark age of Camelot and it’s realm vs realm and battlegrounds system and iterated on it very well.
It took many more things from many other games and just polished those already known systems very very well.

But it was the first MMO to get mass appeal so everyone calls everything and it’s mother a WoW clone… which just tickles me because WoW was quite possibly the first real clone game we had at the time. Everything else was it’s own genre/setting/niche what have you.

That said, I think a lot of people are used to their theme park MMOs and don’t understand how to integrate with a sandbox mmo. I think Boundless nails down the sandbox mmo niche fairly well.

13 Likes

Not sure why you think PS4 players are used to a different sort of atmosphere…

Agree with the rest tho!

1 Like

Hmm yeah i can see that’s a questionable word choice. I read back and it’s maybe a different point regarding two crowds that overlap.

As someone who is not a console gamer I tend to think of console games as something that you buy, finish, and shelf. Not games where “normal” players can rack up thousands of hours per year. I have no idea how many RPG type games or sandboxes exist for later generation consoles to be entirely honest, and no offense intended.

As for naming “voxel builders” as a group, that’s not related to either the PC or the console, it’s sort of a mindset. There seem to be a lot of people here that would just like to build with all of the stuff at their disposal, and then spend their time polishing/touching up their builds, looking at others’ builds, and socializing or doing an occasional co-op build.

I don’t honestly know how much of a community there is around this, Boundless is the first game that really brought it to my attention. Boundless isn’t really structured to support this as a primary role, or a solo role at all if you are pressed for time. It’s definitely not monetized to take advantage of this demographic, but in my opinion it’s heavily represented here on the forums.

I hope that clarifies a bit without offending anyone more than before :blush:

3 Likes

Alright I said my piece. If you guys want to get sidetracked probably just make a new thread about clones and ps4 stuff?

No need to beat this dead horse lol.

1 Like

tbh Boundless is far from what I expected it to be. There are many things that annoy me and I’d love to see them fixed. Dirty cities mostly… Nevertheless I like boundless a lot and all these bad things I won’t list (coz it doesn’t help anybody) didn’t stop me from playing almost 2k hours.

btw THIS is SOMETHING!

3 Likes

Well my console game time sinks the last decade or so have been the Fallout Games, Borderlands, Battlefield, and Minecraft, now Boundless. Pretty much what a lot of PC players have been playing without the headache of upgrading graphics cards.

7 Likes

If you’ve said your piece then iy doesn’t matter what the rest.of us do here now does it? :wink:

3 Likes

More like a game instead of a job ?
So please, release the compact oort shards, so we don’t need to fuel portal daily lol.

3 Likes

That’s what the amalgam is good for. It’s not cheaper to craft than oort shards but that’s the trade off we get for a lazier experience of having it last longer.

I’m still not sure why people who wanted to fuel less often aren’t happy with what we got. Worrying about fuel less often is worth the price of dealing with it less, if you don’t pay for gleam club.

3 Likes

Now, this is something where we actually can help. Unlike AAAs that can pour tons of money into ads, indie devs can seriously benefit from their fanbase getting the word out and promoting them. I know there have to be a lot of other people who would feel the way I do about Boundless, just a matter of finding them and getting it on their radar. If I like a game from a smaller studio, I figure the best thing I can do is plug the heck out of it - Twitter, forums, wherever I can. I’m honest with critiques too but try to keep focus on positives. Interestingly, I’ve noticed in recent times, it really is the indie games that have pulled me in the most… I’ll tweet about a few AAAs I like sometimes, but that is a very small percentage of my feed.

7 Likes

That looks so good, what happened to that game? :cry:

I didn’t want anything from it. I just downloaded the preorder on ps4. If didn’t like it at first I wouldn’t play it. But got hooked. And met amazing friends. So it’s honestly more than what I wanted or expected from a barely talked about ps4 release

3 Likes

What happened to oort online? It evolved. That’s like asking what happened to a pre alpha beta game to why is the release game different. Evolution and feed back. GTV5 online at first was ■■■■ but how many played it? I did hoping for more which we got year or more? After online release?

Minecraft is boring. Its like a stripped down version of boundless.

10 Likes

edit removed the gif felt sorry for the kid :smile:

It sounds like what you wanted was a single player game. Boundless is an MMO, that’s been central to the game’s vision.

1 Like

I agree.

I have been solo-building on the planet, ‘Beckon’, for longer than six months and I experienced a majority of the gameplay, during that time, by myself.

I did not have any Portal Conduits installed to go anywhere. As silly as it sounds, I appreciated the atmosphere of the location I am at. There is a stellar view of multiple planets during nighttime and the area is a fun spot for grappling around for poops and giggles.

Anyway, I feel the OP is limiting their own perspective of possible ways to play the game, as it is. I feel they are stating things they feel cannot be done and it sounds like alot of what I am doing.

Hell, my first visit to an Exo planet did not cost me anything because I hitched a ride with another player who opened a Warp.

I feel it is a bit much to state that development should stop, especially, with seeing how many ideas and stories are being shared by people who truly enjoy the game.

6 Likes

I’m only saying development should shift focus, because I don’t think the MMO idea panned out. Risk of Rain released a month ago, has nearly 14,000 reviews, Boundless was in Early Access for ~4 years and fully released several months, and has a little over 1,000 reviews.

When a ~8-person multiplayer game outsells an MMO, there’s a problem.

I don’t WANT development to stop, but I don’t see how this path of MMO-development is going to benefit anyone.

1 Like