What If?

What if all of sudden a Update said another 255 colors were coming soon Mwahahaha lol

8 Likes

Actually, I ve always expected they would be able to do something like that.

4 Likes

I was at the paint shop and relized huh there are thousands of colors what if poof more colors in boundless me go bonkers lol

4 Likes

Lol. I wouldn’t do anything, it wouldn’t change anything. It would probably take 2 years before we get to see any of the new colors anyway lol

2 Likes

Yeah, that would be very nice …
But that’s not going to happen in this :boundless: game I guess :thinking:

2 Likes

The Sega Megadrive ( Genesis) had a 512 colour palette in 1989. I wonder if the palette in Boundless is set so low for a technical reason?

3 Likes

I would not expect this since they set a lot of this based on the technicals behind it. If I remember right it is like blocks and stuff in that there is certain space available and linked to things like bandwidth and other technical decisions. Not to mention the time involved in getting these colors “right” in their view. I guess it could happen but I wouldn’t expect it unless there is like a Boundless 2.

1 Like

Well, the main catch as I understand it is that boundless blocks dont just have a single value for color, but actually several layers on top of each other to give the desired appearance under various conditions. I suppose its possible, but every extra “bit” of data given to a block dramatically impacts the overall performance, to a point where the least able systems would not be able to keep up. Weaker PC and the oldest versions of PS4 are already at their limits.

3 Likes

I wasn’t suspecting the technical just what if be crazy right lol

2 Likes

The next gleambow event would be crazy! O.o

2 Likes

I believe this is the case. I was trying to go through the color codes recently and was puzzled why the colors weren’t matching up with industry standard codes, so I had to ask about it. For example, white in Boundless isn’t usually just #FFF. It has tints and shadows due to the dynamic lighting and things…so part of the white is actually something like #ededed and part might be #CCC. Same with the other colors. There are some things in the game that seem simple, but are pretty complex.

7 Likes

256 is a perfect square
512 is not

That’s my guess.

1 Like

256 is 2^8, 8 bit. I’m not a computer scientist but it probably works better with 32 and 64 bit stuff. I think you want to look up “word size” but I’m not really sure. 9 bits is awk. esp. if you want to ram all your data into a GPU. If they added more colors it’ll probably be 16 bit? Frankly more than you can really name. Or they could do something funky and combine colors and chisel states and rotation states until they fill 16 bits of data.

2 Likes

I’m pretty certain that’s exactly why we have 255 colors (from what I understand 0 is used to stand for the color the planet has by default)

3 Likes

Ah! But there will be a new generation of consoles at end of the year and that usually means mimimum pc specs for games go up as well. Internet speeds go up over time as well so I would not be surprised if they added a bit more data. All they need is one more bit, more would be even better

2 Likes

They do a lot of things with just bits to make the data smaller so it’s not too unlikely they could add a bit or two.

The bits could just signify changes to the base colour

1 Like