What is the market price of this item?

Well I’ve decided to tackle that question and I’ve defined the market price as the 900th cheapest item available in a shop.

That is, if I want to buy a smart stack… then that is the price I should be buying at or below. To me, that is a reasonable way to take undercutters off the table while not allowing average or median to screw with the data. Interested in other ideas…

But any way, here is the market value of 195 items https://pastebin.com/N1Q7UYYe

Hopefully this helps you make some buy / sell decisions.

Discord if what you need is missing or we always welcome coin addicts. https://discord.gg/FCuYGAT

3 Likes

This is interesting, but I can immediately spot several things that make me feel like this current market data should not be considered as “market value” in any authoritative fashion. Not to say you’re misrepresenting anything and as “current market price” I assume that’s literally true.

Especially I want to make clear for newer players that a list like this should not be used to blindly price out your shop. It’s heavily skewed by a few bulk items and of course can’t consider things like color scarcity on certain materials or other market factors.

A good example of this is trunk which has a wide range of values but when indicated as a single price is overwhelmed by my volume on one of the most common colors in the universe and produced as a byproduct of another activity.

Also I think that pure boon compound 2 is a good example of one heavily stocked seller clouding the data:

FORGE_COMPOUND_BOON_PURE1 : 14.00
FORGE_COMPOUND_BOON_PURE2 : 75.00
FORGE_COMPOUND_BOON_PURE3 : 45.00

Based on my cost to produce calculations this is solid margin on Pure 1, near cost to produce on Pure 3, and completely random on Pure 2.

The items that are sitting on stands out there 10% to 50% below the price they mint for always amaze me but for players who lean on this data, it’s going to cost them a good bit of coin.

Items priced significantly below minter value (10% to over 50%):

ESSENCE_VITAL_ANCIENT : 3.00
ESSENCE_VITAL_FRESH : 3.00
ITEM_WAX_BASE : 0.25

I like the economic data, and I think more publishing of the “flip list” you put out earlier would really help to straighten some of these things out. The items I specifically mention here are just based on my offhand knowledge with no research so I’m sure there are probably some other imbalances in this list that really indicate more about areas where people may be unclear.

I’m not trying to come off negative and I love what you’re doing. I just hope that it spawns conversation and encourages player education rather than just sitting there and being taken as authoritative or setting a de facto baseline based on the current, very confused markets that we have. Over time continuing this stuff can be a huge help.

3 Likes

Exactly. Half of these numbers will be different tomorrow when I’m done buying them out :wink:

I’ve tried to avoid forged and colored items. So the focus is on crafting mats, ie wood is wood if you are going to charcoal it.

There is no system to label things as Exo or 3x3 etc so that is a limitation. Likewise baskets cannot be trusted so I left them out as they can be color configured.

What was most alarming is the not enough data items. Literally meaning that I could not buy a smart stack if I wanted to.

Those could be -

• Really lucrative things to start crafting
  • Things that maybe dont belong in the game?

Likewise I could easily look at my data and be the only seller of all those items. Supply and demand doesn’t automatically mean someone will buy rarely sold items for high prices. Its more likely that the items are worthless.

1 Like

There are plenty of items that are rarely crafted or even seen in smart stack quantities, but still crucial.

Mega brews and pies are a good example. These items will only be seen in very large quantities for reasons like someone JUST stocking up as you took your snapshot, or someone accruing them at non-marketable prices over time.

Also 100% agree that request basket data is useless as a market metric and often misleading.

1 Like

Yeah, to your point, in a balanced system where everything is useful and everything is affordable - all items could potentially be unavailable yet widely consumed.

Point is that it is still an interesting metric that a dev could look at and consider:

• Are these too hard to make
  • Can we encourage people to produce more
  • Is this rare on purpose
    etc

I’m not saying “Remove all wooden tools because no one is selling them”

1 Like

I’d set it to 100 for food items vs a smart stack for everything else.

1 Like

Yes maybe even 50 as this is “batch size” and I often see higher end stuff stocked in batches. Like the single mass craft of mega fast I just bought out, lol.

Yes I love the data and the conversation.

EDIT adding to this that tools and other items which only go 9 to a smart stack need a different parameter as well. Forging aside the max you can possibly put in a single stand is 144 items.

This is most gear items: tools, chisels/spanners, grapples, weapons, and I’m sure there are probably some whole categories of items I’m missing.

1 Like

I see a lot of my prices in the forge ingredient section. That pleases me :slight_smile: almost all my stuff has at least a SS in stock, so it makes sense!

Price of gum base made me laugh though :stuck_out_tongue:
Cool data to browse!

Yeah I left out tools and weapons completely as it would only be useful for finding unforged. The things that are colored, such as gleam, can be blindly used in some crafting so I’ve included them.

This particular output comes from a script that is designed for mass crafting. So anything I cannot buy in the 1000s is likely not important. Something like a pie would be the finished product, so internally the script only cares about the cheapest one in the universe.

In other words it crawls recipes and asks “can I do a mass craft of this and profit at the lowest price in the universe” if so it tells me where etc. I look forward to this output being empty, lol.

1 Like