What Should Happen When A Beacon Expires

I think what this really comes down to is the creative/survival split for players, at least in minecraft terms. I view Boundless as more of a survival experience than a creative one and prefer it that way.

1 Like

There are many people here that have played a long time that were not thrilled with the beacon system at start but came to accept and understand why it is helpful to the game. Some of them didnā€™t like abandoned builds that stayed around for a long time and were not happy with the GC addition of refueled beaconsā€¦ That doesnā€™t mean they donā€™t accept the game we have and understand that reasons for that design exist and make some sense. Either way these are core components of the game that are likely to stay because of the immense time to change them and how it would affect the game other other fundamental levels.

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid your intentions are good, but youā€™re in an overall minority (outside of this forum). Gathering material to build with is one of the most tedious mechanics in the game for most, the grind is real. The game has to ultimately succeed, and to do that it has to appeal to a wider audience. Judging by the gameā€™s population, I think itā€™s slowly failing.

While I donā€™t know that Iā€™m not in the minority, I have faith that Iā€™m not. Iā€™m sure there are plenty of hard-tested and proven survival builders out there. If what your asking is for me to sacrifice the game I want to give a long life to a game I donā€™t want, Iā€™m afraid I will have to decline.

2 Likes

Yeah, although I bought a lot of Gleam Club as insurance, I know that there is a potential family situation looming that in a worst-case scenario (hope it doesnā€™t come to it) could pull me off for a long time, perhaps longer than I bought. But if that happens, Iā€™ll view it as an opportunity of a fresh start and make my build and location much better and far more planned. I actually really like starting fresh in games I like sometimes, thatā€™s why I buy favorites on multiple platforms. Also, Iā€™ve certainly lost a few files with hundreds of hours in them on other games due to corruption or in one case a brutal saving mechanic that wiped if you didnā€™t do it right each time. Sure, I ranted a bit, but then I picked myself up, dusted myself off, and carried on.

But that said, I still vote for the vault with a penalty simply because I know that is just me, and if it is possible to implement it without too many problems, it could help the game by making it easier for some players to return.

3 Likes

Iā€™m so sorry, man, really, youā€™ve said several times things like

but then you come and you write this. Of all people on the forum, when I wrote what you quoted, I was sure that YOU would come and say exactly what you said. ^^ā€™

I must add that this is not meant as an attack or anything.
Itā€™s justā€¦ I meanā€¦ I giggled a bit.

1 Like

I can support vaulting items and having them able to be returned with some penalty or payment. I donā€™t think that will make people much happier though. Will change my thread vote to support the vault.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a reason why more successful building games have a creative mode, itā€™s the gathering mechanic. Itā€™s a grind. Boundless has taken that grind to a whole new level with the current beacon system. I donā€™t really want a creative mode in Boundless, but I only want to gather once and not go through a cycle of lose/gather.

I think if you all are going to start talking about and too each other you need to take it to PM or I will ask to close the topic

1 Like

You arenā€™t alone. Plenty of people respect the decisions the developer made here. Even those people that maybe would have made a different decision and tried to influence it.

Also all this is subjective about minority/majority. They all are just customers - some like the product, some donā€™t.

At this point the developers are ok with a survival MMO type building game and see the value in it. Or if they donā€™t like it and wish they hadnā€™t implemented it, have come to the realization that in the near future it isnā€™t the top priority for them to fix.

A person should respect that even if they donā€™t agree because they should understand they donā€™t have all the information. Instead they should just do like you areā€¦ play the game and enjoy as best they can until things change.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I voted for, but I wouldnā€™t want it to be money, but maybe some quests that let you get some back after completing each one. But with that said, I might even pay a little something to get it all back.

2 Likes

I do have a heart, and I can understand having SOME way to get lost items back; but I do think that grind is important to boundless and should not be removed. I donā€™t think I disagree too strongly with you, but definitely a little. Thanks for holding out through my rantings anyway.

1 Like

Whoā€™s talking about who?

It was not you. There is no reason not to discuss what you want and why you want it. That is what you are doing.

edit: and there is nothing wrong with being firm in your beliefs on what is good for the game either.

That is different than discussing someoneā€™s personality and or how they present their ideas or making personal attacks.

1 Like

I think this is an important topic and closing it would be a mistake. Everyone should be allowed to express their opinion on this without going personal. Do mods not have a way to exclude the offenders from the topic?

Nope and I agree with you. While I might not agree with you on what needs to be done, I agree that this has been brought up a lot on various threads and was hoping to see if there was a general consensus among players. I do also agree with the statement made that this is a poll for players that are playing and does exclude players that might not have returned or be looking at the forums due to this mechanic so it may be biased in a particular direction.

Iā€™m no programmer, but it seems to me that permissions need to keep people from scavenging whatā€™s left during regen, and a tally made of whatā€™s deleted and stored in a few kbā€™s on server. The hard part I would think is how to return it, would a vault be a craftable ploppable item, would quests be put in for a player to gradually get stuff back, would storage shelves just have a populate button to bring in the lost inventory a bit at a time?
I donā€™t think it would be any harder than anything they are currently working on.

1 Like

The real problem weā€™re facing, from all Iā€™ve seen in those recent threads, itā€™s that there are various groups of players, each with different views on what is better. So the debate becomes sterile.
I am part of the groups for #permanence and #casual-building.
Butā€¦ Iā€™d be open for some compromises. What kinda gets me is when someone is like ā€œno, the system just works fine as it is!ā€.

I still think that there is something to do with some kind of ā€œhardcore modeā€, when you create your character, or when you set-up a beacon.
Like, an hardcore character would have perma-death, loss of inventory, but extra-loot, extra-XP, etc etc (to be determined).
A softcore beacon would have, I dunno, a faster consumption of fuels and oortshardsā€¦ but it would regen faaaaar slower when the beacon dies?
So depending on what youā€™re playing the game for, youā€™d have options.

You asked a question and I provided an answer.

Most of the conversations we have here are contextual in nature. You can disagree with a person on one point but agree on anotherā€¦ be for a system one day and against it the next, etc.

It was a form of an attack or an attempt to poke funā€¦ It certainly wasnā€™t an attempt to improve our relationship or come to an honest resolution to the previous attacks you did on my character. You donā€™t know me and arenā€™t taking the time to try to understand the nuance of the discussions we have. You canā€™t even apologize when you do directly attack me.

All of that is ultimately irrelevant to the points about what each of us agree on or disagree on about what should happen when a beacon expires. The reason I posted a response to you was because you needed to understand that there are some people that were against many things in the game but they came to value why it is here. Those people might defend the developers or the game mechanic. So instead of arguing with those people and thinking you are better or smarter than they are - you should try to understand their views and why they changed. Then after you understand fully, you are completely within your right to disagree.

I think there should at least be a beacon option for scavenging so you could at least choose if you wanted everyone grabbing your hard work. Of course if you enabled scavenge, there would be no getting stuff back.