Why 255 height and colors?

Then we are back to the op question: Why 256?

Because for now that is the max number they settled both for memory size, internet data size and speed of the code…

Just saying there are nice ways to extend the number of colours without exponentially growing the size of the data…

Yep could be 512 with only a 42% increase in size after cubing

If they have 1 bit left somewhere to indicate extra colour info AND they decide to never ever wanna add even more they can simply use that bit with 0% increase in size…

And what the heck do you mean with cubing??

Because 256 is exactly the size of a byte and they thought it to be enough.

One can keep asking why, but that’s just it, lol

If they already have the space left for that bit, as you say you think they use 16 bits, not sure why you think that, one can perfectly fine use a byte for size, then they do not have any extra data.

If they don’t have that extra bit spare they will need to add an extra byte which will mean 1 byte per block/item which is much more than you are describing.

And still have no clue why you are cubing that percentage…

1 Like

Because there are three dimensions so there is exponential growth in size. Right?

Actually since it’s a closed system it’s not cubed. Ur right

A block is a block is 1, isn’t it tho? We are talking about block/item data, not plots/chunks tho…

They already use that byte, 0 is default for the planet’s color as Odeon said above.

I know… Talking about the use of an extra bit BEFORE the colour data byte to indicate it’s more than just a single byte…

Bite me but I didn’t get a bit of it…

Pacman-moving

1 Like

2 Likes

Sick editing skills hahaha

1 Like

paint forever!! :sunglasses::heart_eyes:

1 Like