Why don't Alts have permanent access to other character's beacons?

Each beacon I put down I keep forgettin’ I have to give permission to my Alts, which makes no sense to me…

Why is this the case?

1 Like

if a family shares an account?

Because alts are not copies of yourself. Alts are different people. Besides, it’s useful giving permissions or removing them. When I’m making a large room underground and I want each of my characters to get a similar amount of experience from digging and building then I take away some permissions from them all so they can only dig and build on their own land or wild land. Makes life easier. I never think of alts and mains in games as I never have a main. I have a number of characters that all get played pretty equally usually (unless some are only there for a specific task like a specific craft or building in Boundless). They all get played the same until they reach a specialty level though and are to me different people and equal. Right now I have six characters in Boundless and no alts or mains.

2 Likes

Can you elaborate? Please?

It can sometimes be useful to use an alt without permissions to test locks, shops, etc. Also i believe you can use an alt without permissions to complete many of the Trader objectives when you don’t have any ‘real’ customers to buy your stuff. But that is probably more of an exploit.

Update to add: I do think the default should be for alts to have permissions to all beacons. But it can be useful to turn them off in some cases.

So that each character works toward each digging and building feat I like to keep permissions off while they need the experience. Eventually all the plots on a planet will probably be combined on one character, but, initially they are all in need of the feats. With permissions off then I get the notice when I try to dig on another character’s plots or try to build on them. So, it works well making sure all characters progress. Once a machine shop is made or warehouse etc. then permissions are turned on. It takes about two seconds so certainly nothing to worry about.

Are you saying if my Alt builds on another Alt’s property, he or she doesn’t get objectives/feats for that, it goes to the person who owns the property??

No. It goes to who does the building. I like my characters to get all the low level feats for everything. So, say a crafter I want to do the digging and building for itself to get all of the feats that all characters can get. It helps all of them level. My builder will craft for themselves until they get all the feats they can get for crafting without any crafting skill points used. The crafter only does for others what they can’t do for themselves. Once a builder has all building feats and a crafter or hunter has all feats for their build then I’ll respec both swapping roles so they can get all the feats of something else. If played for years eventually all ten characters would have accomplished all feats in the game. I work toward that from day one making it easier to accomplish.

2 Likes