Why I think private servers and rented worlds should be the next major update

I’ve never seen that happen in a game that added private servers, club worlds, etc. I think that’s because humans, in general, will always seek each other out. We may be able to build what we want on our own worlds, but most players would still want other people to visit & see what they’ve done. I also think BL wouldn’t create them in a way that you could do everything there…you’d still have to visit the public planets to go shopping, find new people, harvest resources, visit exos, etc.

3 Likes

well it mostly to protect from greifers. i can totaly see the exact oposit happaning.
at any rate if black lists are seen as not a good idea I wouldn’t argue the point… to much

What the developers had proposed were two different types of worlds as @Jeffrotheswell stated. One is a rented planet that has to follow the rules of the live universe and is connected to the live universe. The second is a private planet that is not connected to the public universe because players can change the rules on the planet. So you are correct in that the rented planet players will be able to interact if they choose to but the private would not.

If I am understanding his point, by allowing players to buy private planets, you can let them change the rules they do not like. I think the hope is that by giving those players someplace else to play they will not complain as much in the forums. I am not sure that would work entirely given the fact that so many features like Titans are not even in the live game so players that have a private planet would have to constantly be adapting to new mechanics. This might be easier than I think as I have never tried to mod Boundless. And I think they will still want to comment on new features and since they paid for the game and for the planet they are playing on they should still be able to. There are also those that cannot afford to go to a private planet so this only solves the problem for those that can afford it or have friends that can.

Quite frankly if most of the population migrates to private planets and all change the same rule, then maybe that would provide feedback to the developers on what players really want and what might need to change to grow the game. If only a few migrate and the public universe starts growing then that is also good feedback.

2 Likes

You got me! I’ll lure all the little oortians to my private world and then make them fat off of my candy house…then I will ban them from my server and steal all their hard earned blocks to satisfy my sadistic needs!

hahahaha

I don’t particularly care about people not letting me on their world. Doesn’t bother me too much. I just want to play with my buddies and get a planet with the looks and colors I want.

3 Likes

The way I see it is, is that we currently have plenty of room to build and explore etc. I’ve seen the case of “We’ll I could set my own rules/drop rates” I don’t see happening without having themcharacter completely disconnected from the public servers because advantages could be essentially bought. I’ll stick around either way I just don’t feel it’s something to workable right now

I understand this, and i feel plot control, is good enough to prevent Greifers, everything else can be fixed by throwing a regen bomb in the event you actually find someone willing to dig up the land around plots. Plots can also have a protection zone around them so no one can tamper with the area anywhere near a plot, there are many solutions to stop rotten eggs, outside of just flat out banning them off the world.

But I will say this, The more control you give someone over someone else, The more likely it is going to spawn nasty drama in some cases.

You may see this as a joke, but there are people who will do this, may even take it a step further for Extortion or tax purposes.

1 Like

@Peyago

and what kind of planet would we create???

thVUST5WQ1

I am sorry this is off topic

1 Like

I’d make a dungion planet. enter at your own risk.

4 Likes

Again off topic

I wonder if the developers could let players build a private planet using the creative mode and then put it back into the universe and re-apply the rules? Let you create your dungeon planet as quickly as possible so that it could be there for other players to explore. Let us create our city planet and then bring it into the Boundless Universe.

I’ve seen this over & over. I don’t take it literally though, because it offers zero incentive for anyone to spend irl $ on one. Why would I pay irl $ out of my pocket to simply add & maintain another regular planet to the BL universe? I wouldn’t. There has to be added permissions and some reason for people to want one & to keep paying for it.

2 Likes

Its honestly not something I worry about. Now if we decide to never put out good content because of the fear of others taking advantage of people, then we may miss out on some good stuff.

1 Like

I am sorry you are correct A rented planet would be the same with the difference being in the permissions. They have said you can decide who can and who cannot build on the planet and visit the planet. What I meant and should have been more specific is changing rules like increasing all drops 200%, reducing crafting times 300%, make gems grow on trees, and things like this. These types of rule changes would be limited to private planets that are not connected to the public universe

1 Like

…? This is allowing blatant cheating in my book.

Access Control is Not content.

No problem.

I think I’m alone in assuming we wouldn’t be able to alter drop rates, length of the day/night cycle, have ore/gem veins, etc. If we can do these things, I don’t think it should be connected to the universe.

1 Like

This seems kind of obvious to me, but unless there’s a reliable source, it’s not really productive to spread rumours. Rumours can easily create false expectations, especially among those that only skim-read on certain topics.

No specific beef with you though. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m convinced the promotional side of it is something we ourselves may be well placed to help with. This is a small team and clearly have their hands full… also - and devs, don’t take this the wrong way if you read this and I’ve got this wrong - I sense from what I read from them that they’re more of a tech-minded crew, strengths more in areas like coding and math rather than the psychology of the fickle gaming crowd.

I’ve seen the strength of a wonderful fanbase in action, the things we can accomplish. Perhaps we can’t do full-on AAA-level promotion, but we can work to get the word out and bring in more people, and frankly, us targeting our audience probably will get us better newcomers than the kinds a wide net like a free weekend will bring in, people who the game might not be a good match for and end up doing more harm than good with their reviews. Even little things like following Boundless’ social media pages, liking and sharing their stuff, that makes a difference, people thinking of buying look at that stuff, if they see us there chatting and having fun and excited, they will get so too.

Yes, things will need balancing and tweaking, adjustments and fixes made, but let’s focus on the positives and why we love Boundless so much, and share that energy with others.

2 Likes

I totally against your idea… First, players are not professional in marketing area, how can they create the social media fit to the trend market well ?
Any kind of website / youtube aids / any kind of social media require a bunch of professional training on design and coding area to attract players from competitive market. Even for some company they do research before they design those things.

I know they are small team, and this may hard for them to hire the other graphic designer position, but this is not the only way to run the business. They can “hire” someone as contractor to just design a few aids like website, videos, …etc. The cost may be heavy to individual but should not for any type of business in market. (around $ 2000 CAD - 4000CAD for website, and only cost them 1-2 month to finish)

I agree as fan we can help them somehow, but for official website, official video trailer, those are their basic job to do. None of us can help them in this area, because none of us can represent their company to deliver the official message to the society. Also don’t even mention how small the current fan base we have in Boundless. As result, this why every time i see this kind of comment really make me laugh. This is very unprofessional to run a business when a company ask their customer to do the promotion for them.

I definitely don’t mean the website or official trailers. That is why I said help. I’m talking fan-made stuff, and on social media and online forums and video sharing platforms and such. I’ve been a part of some vastly strong fanbases online, fans can and do create tons of this stuff, and it can work very well. None of that requires anything professional. Like I said, just sharing the stuff the official accounts do post, that right there can help a lot if many of us do it. And absolutely not suggesting that the dev team ever suggested we do so - it is something we should do to support games we love, is my strong feeling on it. I take a lot of time to plug games I love, mostly small indie games. It works, I have had people buy games per my suggestions, and definitely have people interested in Boundless. I don’t feel it is unethical at all - I only promote games I love and am fully honest about any issues I think they might have. In the case of Boundless, I will send people here and to look at videos by others so they aren’t just going off my view.

I have never been asked, compensated, encouraged, thanked or anything by any developer for any of what I do at any time. I do it fully of my own initiative and am just suggesting as a fan to my fellow fans that if they love a game, then help spread the word. Games are my escape from reality, they help me keep it together at times - I know that crazy hard work goes into getting these games to me and maintaining them, and I like to do nice things for folks, but especially for those that have provided me with something incredible. :slight_smile: What people see online, the reviews, the fan feedback, what they DON’T see, it is huge. I’ve seen the vibe of the fans make games take sharp turns in both directions. It does matter. We’re a small base right now but that can change quickly, we can help get that ball rolling. There are several others here who do this as much as and some more than I do, and I know our efforts help.

2 Likes

I’m not opposed to complaints. there’s nothing wrong with saying you dont like somthing or that you think a machanic need adjusting. I just think it should be done with tact and civility. not by spamming every thread with how stupid they feel something is.
but just becous someone dosnt know how to act dosnt mean there view is not valid. it just means no one wants to listen to them.

on another note what would minecraft be if they never released privet servers. people would still play but it wouldn’t be the hit it is today.
this stradagy seems like a win for everyone. I like seeing happy people :smiley_cat:

2 Likes