Why is Boundless population so small?

If they did, certain aspects of the game (Certain colors of blocks, mind you) wouldn’t be inaccessible or only available through temporary means like Exo Worlds or events like Gleambow.

2 Likes

This at some level isn’t fair at all because you are taking the history of the game and why decisions where made and just throwing all that out and trying to blame them just because the game doesn’t fit your expectations right now. Color and other resource rarity has always been something that is part of the game and wasn’t because they did not favor or like builders.

3 Likes

My wild guess is that over 50% left due to server capacity and waiting. 10’s of thousands of people owned the game and only 1800ish could play at one time, probably less than 1000 at a time on T1-T3 planets.

Wild overarching guess- trying not to overstep any boundaries- the company needed revenue not only for salaries but for bank/investors. PS4 release proved that they can boom with a minor marketing push and appeased some behind-the-scenes people enough to give the devs more time to build the game while we dedicated players help support and grassroots-market it on a small scale.

If Boundless is to be a top MMO, it probably needs to be able to support upwards of 100,000 concurrent players. So like… 200 planets with 500 people on each, just to be able to cram everyone in and not even allow movement. Double that to allow everyone to fit on lower tier planets.

So if this happens to be dead-on, that would show that the devs truly are taking every issue into account, but how are they supposed to tell us that? “Oh yea we rushed release for some quick cash” would offend a lot of people.

In conclusion- we should all stick with it and we’ll be the few hundred who rule the universe down the road.

12 Likes

Wow that’s scary king Dutch… hahaba

1 Like

I actually see this game as a great sandbox in it’s infancy, the economy/industrial side is really interesting, and largely untapped. I see opportunity.

4 Likes

I’ll be on of those few hundred lol

4 Likes

Mwahahahaha. We will rule the universes. See you on the elders counsel!

5 Likes

Can you just mail me the results of the elder council votes? Sounds really hard ruling the game.

3 Likes

Hmmmm… I think I found the elder council on YouTube! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZI_aEalijE

4 Likes

@BabyCookie ‘s motion for flying cookies for everyone… all in favour… Aye. All opposed…(silence)
Motion granted! This concludes today’s meeting. We’ll all meet back here in one weeks time.

@Aragorn. When I hit you link. I said to myself. Please be Simpson’s . Please be Simpson’s! :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands: exact clip I was hoping for! Hahahaha.

4 Likes

Actually, the players who quit because they want instant gratification is alright with me. Usually, they tend to be the more trolly types… more arrogant, and not as fun in chat.

This game is what you make of it… I find it as deep as it is wide. I love this game and I appreciate where it’s going. I can’t wait to see what else they have in store. :blush:

4 Likes

Me too, bigtime. It is already a great game, and just putting screenshots in front of people on a small scale I’ve seen can generate a lot of interest.

I am convinced one day Boundless will be far more vast than we can imagine now… kiss my life totally goodbye, what is left of it anyways! :grin:

I’m not the leader type though… you all can handle the counsel, I’ll be out wandering the hundreds of new worlds and killing countless thousands of mushrooms… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

I have the same opinion I had last year - price point. Nobody’s going to pay $40 for an unknown game like boundless when they can get Minecraft for $20.

We got a big influx of players with the thanksgiving sale.

I would support a Boundless Lite for $20, with a paywall for additional characters and skill pages, if the devs are worried about the lost revenue.

1 Like

I feel the problem still the same, the lack of end game content really damage the population.
Its not no new players join, its more like the game has trouble to keep player to stay in long turn.
Otherwise the population with this small amount shouldn’t keep decreasing monthly.

For me the building part they done really well, so far I still can’t find out any other game in market can compete with boundless at building some art work. But I wish this game can has more freedom at fighting, skill set…etc. I consider this kind of freedom is the other way to allow players to create more creative things instead of just beautiful build. As result it can bring the game to next level.

A good game no matter how expansive, players will still pay for it like final fantasy xiv / monster hunter world…etc. Boundless is already a good game, and the reason why population still so low is because it still not good enough. There are a lot of great games in the market, and if you want to compete with them, sometimes 1% -10% better than your competitor you will get player’s attention.

6 Likes

Boundless demo like MC tutorial/demo area would even be helpful I think. Or 5-10hr trial time. Free weekend like they had on steam when we got ?dzassak?and erosha

1 Like

Free weekend was a bit of a mess though. Maybe a separate world where free players can plot.

5 Likes

Yeah like vex said on other post. A beginner planet or tutorial planet. That only lvls 1-10 are on. Like the devs planet

Because nowadays, 90% of people want everything for free, for as little work as possible, and they wanted it yesterday…
… instant gratification isn’t fast enough for these kinds of people.

Smile boundless players who read this, you make up that 10% who will work for everything you have in game!!!

11 Likes

lol You’re not wrong, but even the little phone games and stuff that are geared towards them have time/$ gates and they learn to go along with it.
In Farmville, you had to wait for your trees to produce, you had to wait for your goods to bake/craft, etc. In PokemonGo, you have to wait up to an hour for a raid/egg -you can’t just walk up to a gym and battle it. It’s taken me months to hatch some of the 10k eggs.

The one thing I can think of is that all those other games you can pretty much jump in from day one & kinda have an idea of what to do & can accomplish some of it. I am surprised by the # of people that still say this is their 1st MMO type game or that they’ve never played big titles like MC/Tr/WoW/LoL/etc before (which is ok…I’m not saying it’s bad or anything -everyone starts somewhere).

2 Likes

Well, I can just say its just different type of game play style.
You sounds like Boundless pay us the salary or something.
Boundless is just a game, not a job. People play the game for fun which is nothing wrong about it.
I agree that challenge make game more fun, but still should not be too grindy.

The balance between too grindy and challenge is the hardest part, and that will be dev’s topic to working on.

Also as an average mmorpg’s population, i don’t think Boundless even reach to 10%. Maybe 5% or something i guess.

2 Likes