Why is Boundless population so small?

Praise be to the Oort Bringers! The most beloved profession in Boundless.

4 Likes

Just quoting to kind of expand on your point here, and the rest is me rambling

I agree with most of what you posted, but I also think that what you said pretty much defines the issue that this game has at its core.

Blockquote I think this is on the money. I think the MMORPG folks would love this game & they are constantly looking for something like this. I’ve never seen BL mentioned as an option in those discussions though - (WoW RS BDO etc).

Boundless is advertised as an ‘epic voxel sandbox mmo’ which as a description lends itself to being seen by pretty much anyone as some kind of Minecraft Online. When folks play it and see that it has a weird mash of systems that force RPG elements into their sandbox they either love it or hate it.

This is why the two people I bought the game for played for a week and then quit. Both of these individuals expected some kind of prettier minecraft with other people and what they got was minecraft + eve online (lite).

Personally, I dont want an mmorpg, I didnt buy boundless for that reason, because it was not advertised as that at all.

To the main point of this post:

I don’t think we will see the population ever get exponentially higher than it is now. This game does not interest the folks who want that instant gratification, nor can I see it really keeping anyone interested who wants a deep gameplay experience…because let’s be honest, BL is about as wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle.

3 Likes

The highest points of steam players were launch and the free weekend. I do not believe gleambow was it based on the steam player charts.

Minecraft offers more at the moment. U can build machines that are automatic farming u can make more semi auto it has a sense of adventure when going into a cave with mines and railroads…actually minecraft you can do so much more…i love boundless more but you need to be very open minded when asking a question like this. Plus minecraft was the first successful game of its kind… so if u are being honest with our selfs. Boundless do not advertise at all. Their skins are not really their yet. Shop is not really their yet. Its still just a touch grindy and they seem to keep making it even more grindy. Mine crafts graphics are not the greatest but just the redstone(power) systems can be really complex.which keeps players amused for years.i know this because i was a full on minecraft guy. But i love boundless and i dont think i will go back to minecraft yet…personally i think this game gas been held back on purpose. There is no advertising for this game anywhere . No one really knows about it…can the servers really handle a couple thousand players at once. Go on a hunt with a group. The answer is no. Then planets would spawn meaning more servers…they simple are not ready for it…well these are my only my thoughts not a argument.

5 Likes

Too late, already typing up something sh***y to fight you :rage: :rage: :rage:

2 Likes

Lol go for it…i dont mind…

I never really compare this to Minecraft too much as it doesn’t do Boundless justice. It’s more akin to No Man Sky meets Dragon Quest Builder without any story. Which can put a lot of mmorpg players off as we’re used to a good story in these ( I am anyway with FFXI and FFXIV). Even trying to enroll friends is a chore as Boundless is hard to describe. Can only imagine what the prospect of advertising it feels like…

4 Likes

Boundless is totally different from MC imo. MC doesn’t have meteors, it doesn’t have shops, it doesn’t have planets (nether doesn’t count), it doesn’t have skills or alts, you can’t chisel, you add a book to gear to enchant it instead of really forging… I think MC has more content overall, but it’s low quality & gets old quick.

BL has more in common with NMS & CV than MC imo. Better quality machines, mechanics, gear, worlds, design, insane graphics…

6 Likes

Disclaimer: No offence intended majorvex, this isn’t targetting you specifically, you’ve just provided the best example so I’ve quoted you.

Group someone approves of - so positive:

Group that is different and doesn’t share their views - so negative:

This thread is already starting to perfectly demonstrate exactly why I think Boundless can’t find find a middle ground, and subsequently a solid foundation to build on. Even if they could find a reasonable middle-ground, they players themselves would fight and denounce each other to try and influence the game’s future more to their preferred direction.

At this point, it really does seem like this game needs to split into separate universes that can have rules more clearly aligned with different play styles, whether that be through private planets connected together or through the developers launching it as separate universes.

5 Likes

I understand that people feel its different. I am saying from my point of veiw…i do feel it is. I really hope we all have different opinions. Different ideas and views…open minds is awesome to see

3 Likes

I have long advocated worlds with different rule sets, like PvP worlds and low gravity worlds; I think the whole “separate worlds” concept really lends itself to this.

4 Likes

BL the game AND its community have an identity crisis. This has been apparent since I bought the game.

I really wonder what the devs plans are for the future to deal with this exact issue.

A lot of people come here from MC and don’t care for the features of an MMO. MC started out as a little free open source program that you downloaded and played by yourself on your PC. Not an MMO. BL is a grindy MMO. I don’t want redstone from MC in my BL.

Yes, I play both MMORPGs and voxel builder games…and many others. They all have their good points. I’d never go to an Asphalt 9 forum and tell them they need to add fps abilities like I enjoy in CoD.

Boundless just need to keep truck’n along with new things, new content, etc and it will get there. It simply needs more.

3 Likes

Ewwwww CoD
Blops was so disappointing

Lol i dont want boundless to have redstone…i was just using as a example…whoops

Oh my bad. There are a few ppl here that realllly want redstone in BL lol I’m sure we’ll get more machines & interactive things in the future…maybe something similar that will quench that need/want for those folks

1 Like

Its ok i love boundless just like u…i was just throwing ideas out …no point having a open minded discussions from only one side

1 Like

That’s kind of my point. You wouldn’t want it in your Boundless. You’re outright rejecting something that someone else may well want (I’m not too fussed and in this instance, believe it would be a technical hurdle too far for Boundless to implement it as Minecraft has it, even if it was desired), and you are implying that to you, ‘MMO’ heavily outweighs ‘sandbox’ despite the advertising not doing the same.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing that you have your own vision of what Boundless should be, just that your vision isn’t the only one that fits the advertising, and that in trying to work between your vision and the vision of someone who is more sandbox orientated, Wonderstruck has just about nothing to work with.

2 Likes

Are they able to make 2 different universes?

One of wonderstruck designated rules?

The other universe only consisting of player custom planets?

Where they are not connected?

I was interjecting a little memey humor. You know…“don’t get any of that OK in my TX”…I just play this game and adapt to what they give us. I want to play BL, whatever it is. I don’t want it to try to emulate another game that I already have, but I guess the point was missed.

I don’t have any vision as to what BL “should be”…that doesn’t apply to me, if you know me. I only go by what they’ve labeled themselves. They do things their own way - I like that. I love the whole sandbox MMO thing. It’s addictive and makes everything else seem old/boring.

4 Likes