Why is Boundless population so small?

Make talking to the sanctum guy open up your feats? It’s a bit hidden in a specific menu in a specific tab. Just a quick band aid. Eventually the feats could be woven in to questlines with dialogue etc :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times now in the past few weeks but I think they do not want to have so many portals in ONE single area or at least they don’t want too many portals loading data from servers. It’s about being near them and having to load the data for the other side that is causing server usage, too many portals close by with many players near portals means more data from several different servers need to be loaded.

So I don’t think they worry about more portals scattered over more planets.

I think this is a real issue, non-mass crafting seems like a waste of your precious materials. Maybe they’ll look in to this as they’ve said a crafting rebalance is on the table. Depends on the design goals, was it meant to just help with crafting large amounts with a limited queue, if so then the autocraft mode would solve that. Or was it meant to push people towards specializing in crafting to produce stuff for the non-mass crafters to use.

For me the biggest issue is servers. Back when the PS4 release came out and there was an influx of people into the game I could not get to and from my build as worlds were full and you had to wait for someone to leave. When you could enter the game was very laggy and that was with 80-100 player limit on a world. Even with 50 planets and max players this only caters for 5000 players at a time - Not Huge!. My homebase on Grovidias Te was a nightmare, which made me move my crafting to Circarpous I. If they can increase the player numbers per world and improve the servers + add a bit more game play I think this would help by both adding more to do and having more people to do it with.

Real talk.
The framerate stutters on PS 4 pro.
The game almost breaks down if you build big on servers outside your region.
The drawdistance is not that great.
Low feature content besides block building.

The list goes on, if you want the game to be competetive on this market there is a lot of work to do.

3 Likes

Built a base on Lamblis, then couldn’t connect to Lamblis AT ALL most nights… there were a lot of speed bumps early on that drove people away. I involuntarily moved my base for sake of not logging in to stagger across the map while soiling myself. Nerfs and the economy breaking drove all my friends away. There have been growing pains, but Boundless is in a good place now. Request baskets actually buy stuff and 2,000-3,000 coins is a relevant sum of money. However, we can’t afford another mass exodus. Like if tomorrow they doubled portal costs (hypothetical example) you’d drop to a player count of 50.

1 Like

my self i would think going free to play would be nice too but would also require rework has the devs would have to eather up the price of GC to match costs (so around $15 a month for GC) or make the Microtransaction store a real store and lower the cubit gain to drive sales there.

1 Like

If they nerf cubit gain I’ma peace out for good

6 Likes

I think it would be boring if you could have all the skills. For all players at level 50+, it would mean the entire skill tree feature doesn’t matter anymore.

But I would like to be able to have a smaller margin of unlearned skills in one skill page than we currently do.

I think a good compromise would be to divide the current skills between skills that should be baseline skills you unlock while you progress in levels and never ‘forget’ (like spells in World of Warcraft, you learn them while you level), and skills which would work like they all do now.

Some skills I feel should be baseline. Like at least the first ranks of all crafting skills.
It’s also SUPER annoying to have to chose between baking food and drinks, like you have to have one skill page for drinks and one skill page for food… that’s just bad. :s

1 Like

So to be completely honest about this topic.

It isn’t great that the player base is shrinking but it can be a positive thing to.

We have time and space to build and expand.
We eventually get to know every player that is also to stubborn to quit on boundless.
We get the attention we need from the developers.

New players that now and than step out of sanctum hoop fully fall in love with boundless and have a great chance of finding a nice spot to set down and build.

That said as a shop owner its kind of hard if you mainly sell and buy the basics. As you depend on the new players. Recruiting them stimulating them to make coin by selling to you and buying from you. “Making the gears turn”.
And it frustrates me when i see people complain on the forum about what they think the problem is that “footfall” is down. Not realizing that the player base keeps shrinking for now. Old shops struggling to keep up with supply and demand while new shops keep popping up. (Thankfully we don’t pay rent.)

But to be fair even when its painfully quiet sometimes, its also the greatest why to build un interrupted. Do miss it sometimes.

There are many many other points pro or con that can be made here but in general.
I think for now we have time to build, have the dev’s :ear: and not to many distractions from our own objectives.

Can say a lot more ^^ but this is enough for now.

Yeah changing it to free to play now after all this time AND nerfing cubit gains would not make me very happy to say it mildly.

1 Like

My crafter uses 5 skill pages so she can make pies, make mega brews and is able to craft all the tools and weapons there are currently.

I do find that a tad on the annoying side. I mean I can understand the idea behind it all but with multiple skill pages that is not exactly working anymore anyway…

9 Likes

Srr but lower lvl is more like a learning curve.
Past 50 (50+) you will get 4 points per lvl. And depending on materials used you can hit 50+ very fast last night hit it 2 times while building.
If we get 6 more skill pages i can fill them in the first 5 min of release.

1 Like

I think a majority of us on this forum really adore the game, so it can be difficult to remove that “lens” and objectively see the causes for the low numbers of active players. If you have friends and acquaintances who used to play and have since quit, ask them why they stopped playing and post it here.

I have said this numerous times, but I bought the game along with two friends and we have been playing games together since way back in the Halo Reach days on the 360. We all 3 had fun playing Boundless and built a pitiful village on Sorrsi. It was total amateur hour, but we had fun. After a few months they had both quit, leaving me hanging. lol

A couple of months back we were playing a different game together and I asked why the burnt-out.

Here is what one of them said (I don’t agree with everything he said, but this is what he said nonetheless):

-more building blocks
-more monsters
-randomized worlds
-more players on planets
-more survival aspects
-redstone
-creative-mode
-no plots-
-more weapons

One contextual comment… both of these people have historically burnt out on particular games far quicker than I do.

1 Like

its on purpose they werent supose to release on release day
one off the scouts off square enix loved what they had allready(played it alot) so much it got probably pushed to soon to release
dont know if ya realize it but once all the minecraft teens get 30 this game will be way ahead off its time and explode :smiley:

3 Likes

So he basically said with 4 points made it aint no Minecraft. :wink:

1 Like

Well i am glad they did.

2 Likes

there is not much difference between alpha beta and release these days
i think playing while developing will be the new trend and im glad
they finally making the games how the player want it
patience will be less off a issue in future once they get used to the new normal

3 Likes

True. Who knows what happens in a month or two granted since this week i’m building again but 1 month back I started to see new names on antar and today they were playing.

As there was a period that most of the day Only me and on a given day maybe 1-3 more players. But now its about 3-4 people on antarVI not always but mostly when i check.

So going from alone on antar to 4 people its something atleast.