Why is forging xp so bad?

Seems like its always just 100 xp. Doesn’t seem very proportional to other crafting activities, especially considering the complexity and time investment. Is there any reason for this?

9 Likes

Always wondered the same things

And why is farming xp so bad??

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking this, it’s completely disproportionate to the effort put into forging.

3 Likes

Yeah my character that is my forger it has taken him so long to get levels i had to start building with him and do other things because he was not getting rewarded for doing any forging. And that does not seem right i put the effort and the materials to get so little xp. I would like to see more than 100 xp when you forge.

1 Like

Because, i would be level 1000 if i got any more than 100xp.

But for real, ive never payed attention to xp from the forge because it is so minimal. So that begs my question, should xp be calculated on a per item basis? Per tool level (340) basis? Or per boon number? Or something else?

1 Like

I like that idea. Say, 10xp per rank for each tool forged would be nice

2 Likes

It’s probably a place holder and an anti-abuse measure… exp is given for gathering the mats, each crafting stage (minimum of 3 steps: glass, base, end item), and for forging. Since crafting has long been a powerful exp expander for work already done, I can see why the devs would be hesitant to add another highly rewarding layer to it… also I think the devs wanted to get the forge in our hands sooner rather than later, and adding a proper exp reward calculating system takes time to build and more importantly balance. I would hate to see players making garbage forged items just for quick leveling / to squeeze max exp out of gathered items =/

They could spend a patch cycle implementing forging exp… or they could further new features :thinking:

They tend to release the first iteration of features and then move on to others. This gives the features time to play out and be fully explored (and exploited) by players so that when they finally do revisit them the devs have a much better idea of how to proceed. Boundless also has many play style options and I think they try to spread the love as evenly as possible.

4 Likes

It makes sense that it might be a placeholder. Although I don’t think it’s fair to lump in the crafting of the ingredients with the forging xp. What if someone were to buy the deck ingredients and the items to forge? For example, I imagine forging alts don’t get much xp. It’s also a bit disingenuous to say that it would take a full patch cycle to implement, tweaking the values doesn’t require any UI editing or asset creation after all. On the other hand, I don’t think it’s a high priority either. It just seemed odd to get so little reward for an end-game activity.

1 Like

The difficulty lays on the balance, how much experience would be ok? They should have to sit down and talk about it. We don’t want another drama about bots or exploits if the xp is unbalanced

I wouldn’t persay say it’s end game. They actually wanted newer people doing it too. Hence the objectives for it start with low end forging. Don’t need end game stuff to forge a semi decent wood tool. Maybe if you want all the bells and whistles you do but the basic stuff you don’t.

If they based it on the rank of the tool I think it would be fairly balanced, even if it’s done by the newer players. It doesn’t even have to be a lot, they can make it on the low end to be safe. But 100 xp doesn’t seem right. I forged several hundred t6 mining hammers this last week and got maybe 3-4k xp from it.

1 Like

i would imagine that the devs look at more of a “big picture”: items and coin enter the game via gathering / footfall / feats and exp is generated > items and coins are consumed and more exp is generated… so more of an exp potential overall.

i agree that the exp from forging is a joke… but making it a meaningful and balanced source of exp would be an impossible task i feel. legit forgers might get ok exp… but then someone who only cares for exp would come along and find the fastest way to spam as much exp with the lowest cost =( much like the building exp exploits that were popular for a time

2 Likes

I agree, if the XP per cycle is too high then you will get players that just spam a bunch of forging cycles using the cheapest ingredients and tools for the XP with no concern about the end result.

1 Like

I gave my forger alt enough crafting points to be able to craft all the forging mats too, helps a ton!

1 Like

Yeah I did that from the start made him able to craft the mats for the forge. But even then he was leveling too slow. So I started building with him and he is now almost level 50. Still wish xp for forging whould be better

2 Likes

Because the devs want to encourage mining over all other activities, evidently

1 Like

Boundles like Minecraft? Hahaha, don’t be crazy!

What gives the most XP in Boundless you ask? Hmmm, mining and crafting…

1 Like

Let’s focus on buffing forging and not nerfing mining, shall we? :grin:

1 Like

Yes please

1 Like