Why we need to be able to report or ignore other players

I wholeheartedly agree! This should be perma ban territory. Screenshot evidence is there. Get this salted slug dung off the servers!

2 Likes

Nice. Great feature! Thanks dev!

1 Like

Is there a way for developers to confirm a player has messaged abuse etc after they have been reported? No disrespect to anyone and Iā€™m by no means saying this is the case here but screen shots can easily be photoshoped. If I was being insulted then Iā€™d definitely take a screenshot of it to report but Iā€™d also assume that someone can check to verify my accusation. If not then the system can be open to abuse. ā€¦ as far as penalties then racist comments like that should surely be a total ban although I realise friends can sometimes say stupid things to each other and anyone seeing those comments wonā€™t necessarily realise that and could report it which is why any accusation would have to be thoroughly investigated.

2 Likes

All user generated content (UGC) is captured and logged so that we can review complaints, etc. This include: user names, beacon names, settlement names, chat, sign text, etc.

We take this stuff seriously and weā€™ll have more reporting / ignoring / muting / blocking / banning / parental controls coming online as we gradually prepare for 1.0.

25 Likes

Thatā€™s reassuring to know :slightly_smiling_face:

genius, though exploitable or able to use to harass others with. Imagine the same angry 9 year old who wants to express his emotions, by dinging you with a negative point.

1 Like

hey you aplying for sherif duty in aquatopia you seem like a cool dude :smile:

perhaps, unless there was a cooldown for voting for say like a day or a week (iā€™d lean towards week)ā€¦ not a whole lot can change in a build in less than a week unless itā€™s a large collaboration.

nahhh, iā€™m too lazy for that :smiley:

Yeah, restrictions needed, but, whatever, we will not see such a thing in the game soo who cares))

What about : One is either a good Oort or a Bad Oort. It takes 3 people to flag someone negatively and then that person would gain the position of Bad Oort.

But then it takes 6 positive flags to go back to being a Good Oort.

Being a good Oort can give a 5% discount at certain stores, or even could regulate (If a Mayor chooses to use it) if someone is able to build within so many hundreds of cubes from any township. Also one could lose 5% extra on every purchase while in Bad Oort status.

There needs to be a good and a bad reason to maintain Good Oort status.

Frankly, any reputation-based system will be abused to some degree.

Likewise, any moderation will be biased or flawed in some way.

I know those two solutions are probably inevitable to a degree, but frankly I prefer just being able to blacklist someoneā€“mute them and disallow them from visiting my builds.

If I can keep people from doing me harm, thatā€™s sufficient for me.

2 Likes

Well, you can defend/shield yourself, but what about others? Children will play this game, people who donā€™t know how mmo works, simply guys who only starts to play and etc. Several words is enough to ruin someones expirience and mood. We need options to isolate this ā€œbad seedsā€, bcs if griefer canā€™t do harm to you, he find someone else and so on and so on.

The offending player bought the game, generated the captured unsuitable chat, then refunded the game.

We have banned their Steam ID from re-entering the game in the future.

23 Likes

@Inwrd I disagree. We donā€™t need those options in my opinion. I have a 9-year-old son who plays the game, and heā€™s perfectly capable of muting/blacklisting someone if he needs to.

My reasoning is just that this sort of thing tends to be abused. Iā€™ve been shut down plenty of times just because people didnā€™t like my opinion or wanted to punish me because they didnā€™t like me.

Itā€™s left a bad taste in my mouth.

If I were sure I could trust other peoplesā€™ judgment I wouldnā€™t have any problem with it.

I CAN see the value of having vision of who other people have muted or blacklisted. That could be helpful, but I personally wouldnā€™t want other peoplesā€™ judgments in that area to automatically apply to me. (Meaning I wouldnā€™t want the people they muted to not be able to talk to me.)

2 Likes

We donā€™t need (devs, not us btw) options to punish griefers, hackers (can be an issue when pvp goes live) and etc., because you and your son know how to mute/blacklist? Pretty ego-centric conclusion. For example two weeks ago I introduced my mother to this game. She is 50y old and she is delighted with the bright world of Boundless, and I definitely do not want any little freak to spoil her time spent in the game. People are different, your son maybe know how to defend himself another may not know, my mom is example of players that need protection.

And my reasoning, that in all years of gaming i never been banned or even muted (as far as i know), I do not know what you did and how you deliver your ā€œopinionsā€ if mods banned you. People doesnā€™t make the decision, mods/devs are. And if those mods/devs use ban hammer as they wish - maybe just donā€™t play such a crappy game?

And why you think mute/blacklist can solve all problems? People can do abusive, rude things without a word. What you gonna say if some funny guy take plot right after your son territory and start to build disturbing ā€œstatuesā€ with sex scenes or violence. You mute him?) Boundless not ordinary mmo, players can deform landscape make permanent changes to it, save and preserve their creationsā€¦ And abominations too.

And i donā€™t say we need to ban everyone and everything lol, but devs need tools to isolate negative driven players (temp or perma, whatever) And this is not subject to discussion. Subject is how and for what.

1 Like

ā€œThis is not subject to discussion.ā€

ā€¦Well, if you pay close attention now, you may be able to see why I have the sort of opinion I do even if itā€™s an unpopular one. Youā€™ve essentially just said that Iā€™m wrong and youā€™re right and my opinion is invalid and unwelcome.
I hope you can see the irony in this.

Itā€™s not the mods Iā€™ve had problems with in other games. Itā€™s people who think they know better than me and can sit on me because they donā€™t like my opinion.

ā€¦Specifically what I object to is the idea that some sort of popularity contest should determine who is in good standing in the community. If there are specific, clearly-stated rules (like ā€œno sexual or violent scenesā€) and the devs decide to enforce those (and use player feedback to do so) Iā€™m fine with that.

Some sort of moderating is normal in this sort of environment.

The closer the model gets to a popularity contest where people can essentially grief you because they donā€™t like what you have to say, the more I object to it.

2 Likes

Yeah, you just ignored most part of my answer and clung to the part that you find ā€œironicā€. I retype this for you. I essentially just said that ā€œdevs need tools to isolate negative driven playersā€, and "this is not subject to discussion. Subject is how and for what." And now you behave like a ā€œminorityā€ accusing me of pressure and hostility for no reason.

But at the same time agreeing with me

If there are specific, clearly-stated rules (like ā€œno sexual or violent scenesā€) and the devs decide to enforce those (and use player feedback to do so) Iā€™m fine with that.

I retype this for you again this is not subject to discussion. Subject is how and for what and that what we discuss here. How and for what.

And where i said that your opinion is invalid and unwelcome? I said that itā€™s very ego-centric, because all you said everytime that you got banned several times in games. And all you saying is ā€œsomeone donā€™t like my opinion.ā€ So if i understand this correctly you got banned in some game where players can downvote to hell other players straight to ban. And now you are offended and you suspect everyone around in hostility to you?

The closer the model gets to a popularity contest where people can essentially grief you because they donā€™t like what you have to say, the more I object to it.

I donā€™t know where you got this thing about ā€œpopularity contestā€. There was no discussion about ā€œpopularity contestā€. And i canā€™t define why you trying arguing about this thing with me, lol. In our talks about keeping out people from your territiory? There are no ā€œpopularity contestā€, this is like muting, if i donā€™t want to see you in my territory i can prohibit to enter, simply as that.

These things generally need to be moderated to some degreeā€¦ this ensures that any bad marks placed on a player are fair and most importantly consistent. If you allow players to place a black mark on others, their opinion is subjective and often swayed by any emotion felt at the time.

I think any system that allows another player to freely Black mark a player, which any other player can then see, should be avoided at all costs.

Also any ability to block a player from accessing your build should be avoided in my opinion. Itā€™s too open for abuse, especially if that player is surrounded by people that are trying to oust them from a prime location. Youā€™d essentially be blocking them from entering their own plots.

Muting and a well established reporting system based on a clear concise rule set of what is not allowed in game should suffice.

7 Likes

It is a typical practice that reporting system works as an anonymous line between player and admins.
It is normal and fair that players donā€™t vote/mark themselves in any way and its a healthy way to deal with toxic players by simply reporting them and leaving the rest to the admins as they will have the bigger picture and tools to evaluate all reports.
As much as we donā€™t want toxic players in game we also donā€™t want players organizing crusades against other players (no matter how justified they seem to be).

7 Likes