Will metal be spray tintable?

Aqua iron and rose gold?

Like my post so James notices this please :blush:

8 Likes

I’ve had a similar thought in the past - as it would allow more metallic colours.

But how many colours? Are we going full 255? Or some subset? If so, how are the colours made? Crafted? Or goo tinted?

9 Likes

Wouldn’t that make it possible to make it look like your {crappy} iron build is made out of titanium, though?

I would say goo tinted, and in all 255 colors just to be consistent with tinting of other materials, what do people think? Sort of like coated aluminum dog tags and water bottles; if you tinted gold and silver the same blue color, they’d look a little different.

It would also be cool to have more types of metal a la No Man’s sky (Indium, Cobalt etc), but that’s a much bigger change than metal tinting, which presumably would be pretty easy to implement and include.

4 Likes

If you are planning to add other metals in the future…like platinum, Tungsten, etc…perhaps you could add a metal painter? So it would swap between 5-10 colors? But different metals have different value, so I’m not sure how that would work. Or maybe it could change them slightly…one would be oxidized, one would be brushed, one would be rusted?

Hmmm. Maybe we can find rusted metal blocks on T7+ & we have to polish them in a polishing machine to see what they are…or something :grin:

2 Likes

Having colored metal would be cool, I think it could have some own special spray and limit color by metal tiers copper and iron having 16, gold silver 32 titanium 64 colouring possibilities (numbers just examples)

1 Like

I’d previously thought it would be cool to add a polishing machine to the game. Wax for a polished finish, wax + sand for a brushed finish, could be applied to metal, wood, stone etc.

4 Likes

I would stick to the basics. Like jewelers do. They focus on people birthstones and popular metals. Start with those first :).

Full 255 buddy, in for a penny in for a pound.

5 Likes

What about making use of the petals to put stamping on them. Lol. Like a petal imprint design. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Petals? But yes metal stamping would be super cool.

1 Like

There is still a major difference between a stone block and a metal block.
The stone block doesn’t change value with the color, it’s by going from rock > stone > refined > decorative that it gets more prestigious.
But metal additionnally gets more prestigious depending on the color.

So if you can tint a block of refined iron into the same color as titanium, how do you know which is which anymore?

I’d support metals having all 255 colors IF there was something else than the color that was used to differentiate the metals. Copper could have some oxydation on its 3D edges, iron could have brush marks, etc.

1 Like

there is not color available like titanium sadly. i was looking at a block with the same color and found none on the 255 colors.

I would love to have tintable metals. That would be pretty epic.

Also rusty iron blocks are needed as well.

1 Like

How about copper that turns green. Maybe have the rust blocks stain other blocks beside them.

3 Likes

I think titanium having the greatest range of colour makes the most sense. In reality, it gets anodized all manner of fun, bright colours. Aluminum, too, but we don’t have that. Polishing and oxidizing could definitely be cool, as this is often done intentionally to make metals look different.

1 Like

Necroposting ftw \ o_o /

Option 1: Make it craftable with gleam and titanium.

Option 2: Fully spray paintable.

It seems prudent to only have titanium spray paintable, this will give it a nice rarity and ease the pres calculation.
If there is a prestige calculation in the object that functions on color, either put the value on flat titanium pres or put all colors, other than copper, silver and gold, on a flat value above titanium.

2 Likes

What if you gave metals some limited real world tints for silver and higher (example: white gold, rose gold) to produce a realistic asthetic. Then for iron make it tintable for 255 for creative builds?

I second this for copper and iron - rust mechanic would look cool

1 Like

I like this idea for copper and iron. Gold/silver/titanium would be cheapened by adding tints imo. I would much prefer more decorative designs for precious metals using gems and lucents.