Windows and chiselled glass, and tinted glass

Hi I know this has probably been mentioned before but i thought Id raise it as my current project highlighted to me these areas that are lacking.
Currently the game gives us un-chiselable glass blocks, and thankfully a multitude of doors, along with updated signs just yesterday which i have yet to explore but show potential.
The first thing that occurred to me was why dont we have tinted glass,as in depending on the colors of the mats going in you get different colored glass coming out, seems simple enough.
The second after that was chiselling glass, I know this has come up, but even to a half slab stage would help greatly for windows, or better again panes as in minecraft style.
Currently I’m using gleam doors for windows in an underwater tunnel and that works to a degree, but obviously the game mechanics are there for some sort of window pane, just give us doors that are are more transparent and dont open, so no need to lock them all…

5 Likes

Just do a search for glass. There are countless threads about it, all of which have the answers you are looking for.

I think this is a problem with how chiselling works within the engine. If you’ve noticed already, when you chisel a block you’re basically cutting the texture down too (there is one texture for the entire block, and when you cut parts of the block down, you also cut the texture down)

So while some blocks have unsightly ‘sharp’ edges, a glass block would have thin air (as the edges of the glass block are around the outside of the block)

Pretty hard for me to explain, but I hope you get the picture - and since this is a suggestion thread, is there any chance we could get textures mapped onto half and quarter blocks in the future? I imagine this is a lot of hard work, given the amount of textures, and the amount of chisel shapes.

@jesshyland should know.

hi guys, yeah I recall something about the glass textures stopping chiselling etc which is understandable, but as to tinted glass and panes like the doors we see in game that dont open, must be doable

I’ve yet to try it myself but the new Gleam Signs have the potential to make great window panes. And due to the multiple colors of Gleam in the game, the added potential is there for multi-colored tinted windows.

I’m looking forward to playing around with the possibilities later today. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Much the same in regards to the signs, could be an answer, though ive yet to look at the recipes…

They’re similar to the other signs. Nails, Ink and Gleam (instead of stone). :wink:

I’d love to see the glass blocks merge smoothly, without the ‘panes’ creating squares on the outside. The insides of a solid mass of glass are smooth, why not the outside?

2 Likes

because it would be completely transparent and you wouldn’t be able to tell if anything or what was there

As previously discussed, blocks cant have partial transparency (i.e translucency). This is just a limitation with the game engine.

The reason that doors can is because they have custom meshes and so are rendered differently, so I guess it is theoretically possible if they change the model of the glass block (so it actually has a mesh), but that then rules out any chiselling.

Some gentle reflection of light would solve that. And with tints, when they come, there would be no problem.

1 Like

Oooh reflections would be awesome! good idea, that could work probably

Compact Silt used to have a purpose in being used to make glass; that was reduced to regular silt so that you could make glass without spark when power was added.

How about a recipe for tinted glass that uses the color of the sand as the tint color and requires compact silt? I’d love to have something to put all this silt towards.

2 Likes