World regeneration, and its interaction with player constructs

Today I was watching some Boundless videos on YouTube by Jiivita because I still don’t have the game, and I came across a video that gave tips and tricks. The video was very informative, and at one point in the video at 7:24 he talked about world regeneration. I noticed that when the world regenerated that the hut he made was completely swallowed by the world even though it was above ground. This way of regeneration seemed kind of unnatural and immersion breaking, so I thought of ways in which it could be done better. One thing that comes to mind is that the world wouldn’t erase anything not hindering regeneration. This would also come with problems such as many unnatural man made buildings dotting the map, and running the world’s visuals. Then I thought of a solution for that as well, which would be to write a code which would place a fifty to sixty block diameter (the number of blocks could be adjusted to work through testing) around a random building so that the one chosen will be the only one to not be destroyed entirely. This could add a kind of player made story making element to the game which found in turn add a more player run world feel to the game. You could be exploring the world and see a partially destroyed, decaying castle for example, and wonder who could have made such an amazing thing, and try to imagine the history of such a thing. What does everyone else think?

Here’s the video link https://youtu.be/ywUFrXzg48Q

3 Likes

Really nice idea and would love to see it put in but I can imagine it being hard to implement right.

1 Like

True, but I trust that a good idea won’t be left unnoticed.

Btw, I wrote all of this on my phone using Swype text so I’m sorry. Auto correct needs to put an apostrophe every where.