World Regeneration Design Adjustment

As it stands, resources can only be inserted once s chunk is fully regenerated (and happens as soon as that is the case) [as usual, ignoring any plotted areas, those dont need to regenerate]

3 Likes

Where do rocks and plants fit into this? Same as resources that spawn within blocks?

The surface resources too yes

3 Likes

And from what I understand a chunk is a 2x2 plot space correct? Or are you talking smaller “chunks” in a plot?

Chunk is 16m x 16m. The debug info includes the chunk coordinates.

7 Likes

To reiterate what Luca and James said – regeneration is based on a chunk, which is a column of 16 blocks by 16 blocks and the full height of the world. The regeneration described is for the standard blocks, but not “resources”, which are all the seams, the boulders, the fungi and the plants. The “resources” all regenerate (in one go currently) as soon as a chunk has regenerated all the standard blocks. The types and positions of resources in the chunk are randomised based on how many of a given resource there are in the world and various other conditions (altitude, block types etc.).

So the resource regeneration is a separate process to the base regeneration, but is completely dependent on it. So when there are areas with no resources it is normally because of the base regeneration not finishing. So these changes will hopefully make the regeneration of the world feel and look better, so if a huge castle gets unbeaconed it will decay over many days in a satisfying way, as well keep resources stocked because chunks aren’t blocked from being regenerated by players moving near to them each day.

In terms of time taken to decay, this is the proposed balance:

10 block changes will take 2.5 hours.
100 block changes will take 24 hours.
1,000 block changes will take 114 hours.
10,000 block changes will take 131 hours.
20,000 block changes will take 138 hours.
30,000 block changes will take 145 hours.
50,000 block changes will take 158 hours.

Bear in mind that is per a chunk, which has 65,536 blocks in it, so the chances of getting to the higher numbers is very low. When I looked at existing builds the highest number of block changes I saw was 1,500 per chunk and for most builds it was much lower than that.

12 Likes

I am feeling confused and want to make sure I understand:

If I go to a chunk and remove 100 gleam. After 4 hours (the new time) with no one entering the chunk the gleam will regenerate over a period of 24 hours.

If I go to a chunk and chisel the rocks 3 deep over a 10 x 10 area, I will have affected 300 blocks. So after 4 hours of no one crossing the chunk, the regen will take between 24 and 114 hours. And if anyone crosses the chunk then it will restart the 4 hour clock and then start the regen.

If I go to a chunk and remove all the desert sword. After 4 hours if no other blocks were removed, the desert sword is regenerated based on the amount across the planet but immediately.

If I build with 500 blocks on a chunk and allow my beacon to expire. After 4 hours, the regenerations starts and will take between 24 and 114 hours. If someone enters the chunk, it will stop regenerating, wait 4 hours and start again.

Assuming I made the correct interpretation, I am not sure this really addresses some of the issues in particular with chiseling and other gathering activities that are close to an active build. If they are not now regenerating due to the 13 hours of activity are they really going to be clear for the proposed over 24 hours it will take now (4 hours plus the time for the blocks)?

I do see where the slow regeneration of a build could be interesting. But is that worth the other issues people seem to be having not being addressed? Currently If I find a remote spot to gather gleam, clay, or another block, I can return the next day and expect it to have regened. Based on the proposal, it is likely that it will take 28 hours (4 + 24) or more to regenerate. When I find a good spot for clay (to make brick), I normally pull a few thousand blocks of dirt out. It takes a lot of clay to make compact clay to make brick. In the old universe I cleared an area of about 8 plots down 4-5 blocks. Assuming only half of my digging was on one chunk, I removed (16x8x4) 512 blocks. So this will take maybe 48 hours now to regenerate. I was probably better off under the old regeneration time.

1 Like

I use compacted soil for fuel.
I mine at least 3000 per run.
Last week i made one run every 2 days.

With this change I would be literally mining out entire middle sized islands.

Generally every resource run for blocks is at least this or more blocks. Trees, rock… You name it.
Strip mining diamonds would be even harder, cause this is destroying thousands of blocks…

2 Likes

Oh wow no wonder resources are so hard to find, its the last thing to regenerate!
I understand why it needs to be the last thing, but the problem still persists if someone walking by resets the regen.
I think it should only pause the regen.
Not sure if i just dont understand the changes, but it sounds like regen is just getting extended :thinking:

2 Likes

But did you dig all that soil in a 16x16 area? I would find it hard to believe that you did, as I doubt there is actually 3000 peaty soil blocks in a 16x16 area.

As such, much of those blocks would be regenerating at the same time, cutting a lot of that regeneration time down

Something doesn’t add up here.
Dev was speaking about specific regen time for 50,000 blocks
16^3 = 4096
So I assume it will calculate few chunks or will take neighbours into account.
On the other hand i was mining soil like 6-8 deep stripmining it to rock.

1 Like

Personally I think regen should happen quicker near portals, the more portals the faster the regen. The reason I suggest this is because often the areas around portal gateways are stripped of resources, and due to the high traffic/footfall there’s little chance for it come back.

A chunk is defined as 16x16xWorld height. So a 16^2 area from max height to mantle

1 Like

Correct, 4 plots is 16 x 16.

I mined dirt only over 8 plots 4-5 down every dirt block even if looking for clay. That would be (8x8x8x4) 2048 blocks of dirt. If only 1/4 is in a chunk the chunk will take over 28 hours to regen (4 for no traffic + 24 for 100 blocks so higher). Right now it is 13 hours.

edit: I take every block and not just cherry pick. I can make glass from the silt and compact the peat for fuel and I need the clay for bricks so in my case I am taking every block and this is not uncommon.

1 Like

Correct

Correct

The first bit is correct, and if someone enters the chunk then the regeneration will stop, but it will start as soon as they have travelled a short distance away.

In the current build someone travelling within 4 chunks of a given chunk would tag that as visited and pause regeneration for at least 8 hours, maybe more. Now they have to travel within 2 chunks and regeneration will resume ten seconds after they leave that range. This should massively influence regeneration near to active players and settlements.

In that exact case it will take longer to regenerate than currently. I can’t imagine that all the clay is restricted to those two chunks though, surely there will be clay next to them which you can mine whilst the rest regenerates. Also I would imagine that your digging doesn’t fit to exactly two chunks (unless you bring up the builder mode and dig up to the edges) in which case you’re more likely to be covering four or even six chunks which would bring the time down.
Either way we’re trying to balance various factors against each other, and one complaint we’ve heard is that a day after a beacon expires a whole massive build is gone, that’s something that we’re trying to improve and that is competing with your case. We can always adjust the figures if this proves a problem, but my feeling is that this covers the vast majority of cases well.

12 Likes

That’s 13 hours where no one is nearby, if someone comes by every 12 hours it will never regen. I know there was talk in another thread about changing the delay before blocks can regen to almost nothing, hopefully that changes. 100 blocks over 24 hours is about 1 block regenerated every 15 minutes, not too bad but the 4 hour delay is what really kills that approach. At least they can tweak the number a bit to find a good balance, and its certainly a better system than requiring a chunk be isolated for 13 hours to regen.

Those figures are per chunk. If you take out 3000 blocks across numerous chunks the time will be much shorter.

3 Likes

Ooo nice, restarting regen immediately sounds like its definitely going to help. I assume if someone modifies a chunk while its regenerating it will wait 4 hours before it start regen? If so that could still cause some issues.

5 Likes

Yes, correct. Four hours is a lot quicker than it is currently though, so it will be an improvement.

4 Likes

Definitely an improvement, but I can see a vouple of pretty common situations coming to that might cause some problems.

In an area where someone mined a bunch of dirt, I fall in and mine to place a block to make steps to get out. Regen delayed 4 hour then 15 min for the block I placed.

Mining underground, I mine a tunnel through a chunk that is regening, regen delayed 4 hours then 15x36 for the blocks to regen.

I think those 2 cases will come up often enough that some area will take forever to regen, if at all.

I might have missed it, will resources still only regen once a chunk has been fully regenerated?

2 Likes