World Regeneration Design Adjustment

The world will regenerate in reverse distance-to-original-surface (air/block boundary), but the distance metric is skewed such that trees and other “prefabs” will regenerate after the ground does, and does indeed go in reverse so that trees and other prefabs will regenerate “out” of the ground upwards after the ground has fully regenerated.

6 Likes

I actually like the mechanic that ressources are only regenerated after the chunk is fully up again. Like @Tagris said this encourages exploration and flexible behavior of the players to find the best spots for them. As long as we have (will have) enough planets to spread the whole community on this will lead to a more varriating experience then “hop through a portal, drop down and dig into the ground so that nothing kills you on your way” ^^. On this way people will have to face the dangers on the surface and later underground (hunters!!! ^^) before they get to a really good spot.

And as a last point it will lead to more portals, even if locked behind guild doors, which lead to locations worthy of mining/gathering and “Wandering” outposts because after a region got famous it slowly becomes the time to look for the next fortune :wink:

Now we just need to have the xp for chisteling outside of beacons removed so that those powergamer madmen stop to ruin our wonderful planets and sabotage the surface regeneration ^^

1 Like

I’m all for this, but I just happened to put a base somewhere that other people are now crowding around, so suddenly, all the places I go for resources are mined out and chopped up… I feel like I need to move my base…

And with no way to summon a meteor whenever I want, I can’t really afford a conduit upkeep.

Not really looking to explore much. What it does do for me is now I will have stripped mined more places for resources like clay versus just one that will regen in a day. Now if I clear 2000 -3000 blocks of dirt to get clay and peat, It could take well over 24 hours to regenerate. Therefore I will find a few spots to strip mine, so I can rotate between them to have at least one regenerated when I go to it. So now we get more places with the landscape kind of torn up not less.

You can just warp to another area using coins. You get more coins daily and can get 1000s easily for selling things at market that you gather.

I made 20k just selling fiberious leaves. If I gathered 200 leaves I would sell 50 of them. Easily made up the cost of warping and with profit. Very sustainable.

So find an area that is low traffic and save a few locations. And know that once you find that area, as other players do too, you may need to explore again

This sounds interactive to me.

1 Like

Wow this actually is a great solution ! The bigger the changes , the slower regeneration ! I love this !

In fairness to the developers and @olliepurkiss these changes were needed on many levels. The “timing” part of it is something that can be adjusted and balanced if they made them too long.

Do consider that in the real world when we make changes it takes nature some time to revert. So huge changes in this game resulting in a bit slower replacement makes sense. Personally for those strip mining or things like that, I am happy to see that it might take longer for things to come back…

Also, with the amount of planets that are out there and the resources present on those planets it isn’t too much of a convenience to farm over various locations. This game is about moving around and not stepping out of your door 1 step to get everything you need.

4 Likes

If possible it will be great if trees who’s trunk is in a plotted square and deleted wont he regenerated.
this will solve the issue with tree tops regenerating over city’s streets

1 Like

^^^ This!!!

This would ruin my aqua ultima garden services company! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

People just need to plot the area above.

There is likely way too much other stuff on the list they need to focus on to look at this again especially when there is a solution already for it.

1. You are talking about possibly hundreds of plots, all which may be owned by different players.
  2. It’s our job to suggest, the developer’s to decide what gets developed. It can be considered ill mannered to shut down another’s suggestion.

Yes it is a lot of players but each need to decide whether they feel floating trees are an issue to them or not. I don’t particularly like seeing floating trees. But, I also like to try to do builds that fit into the landscape and don’t particularly like seeing whole settlements that just terraform everything.

I am not trying to shut anyone’s opinion down. I provided a simple suggestion on what they need to do to solve the issue. If they just do the plot above the trees parts will stay away. Not everyone in the forums are aware of the specifics around plot management.

There have been other threads on this where the developers responded that they weren’t too keen on changing this design because it is already complicated enough. Obviously we need to provide feedback on our what we would like to see in the game but everything does need to be prioritized too.

I wasn’t trying to be dismissive in my comment back. Just sharing a view…

3 Likes

I am having issues with land regeneration. I thought if you place beacons and clear out land and place blocks (like refined stone) the land would not regenerate. This doesn’t seem to be true. Some areas do not regenerate and yet others do. They are right next to each other and both parts have beacons yet one regens and the other doesn’t. . Why would some of the land regen and not others? There was a comment about traveled areas opposed to non-traveled ones. Both the areas are traveled the same. I don’t understand. How can I keep my area from regening? Frankly I am getting tired of clearing areas multiple times and re-landscaping/building.

At the risk of stating the obvious: Just placing a beacon doesn’t stop regeneration. You must also activate the beacon by fueling it, and this consumes a plot, so you must have free plots.

Additionally, if those beacons are near each other, it’s simpler to just use a plot extender to add more plots to the beaconed area. Only plotted areas are immune to regeneration.

Edit: I’m in game and not particularly doing anything, so if you’d like to meet up to debug your area let me know.

I appreciate you responding to my post. I do keep the beacons fueled. Also have plot extenders. The problem still exists. If I am logged out for more than a few hours and return some of my area ends up like a jungle. It is really strange that some of the blocks will stay untouched and yet right next to them, they grow dirt back. I don’t know if it has something to do with being a part of a settlement or not. In March, I go visit my mom for a week with no connection to the internet, no way of logging online. I am afraid when I return home and log into my account all my hard work will be gone and I will have to clear the area all over. I appreciate your help. I am on Beckon and part of Aquatopian Embassy. My in game name is Jasmeena (or Elizanna, my alt) You can find me around coordinates 1354N, 998E. Thanks for your help.

Alrighty, going over there to take a look at the area.

1 Like

hiya the embassy has a book now at new hub called aquatopian embassy faction we trying to glue the city back together you could try allign your base to this without guild rights and you keep the footfall all it does it putting all beacons on one settlement under the aquatopia name
this offcoarse up to you
you can also become your own settlement from now on

The easiest way I have found to check is walk around with a totem and hit all blocks that I have and areas I don’t want to regen. Either it will stay beaconed or reserved or nothing. I do this with the option to see plots “b”.

You should be able to tell what is plotted or not.

Also, another way I recommend is walk around with a sand block or something and try to place it a bit in front of you. You will either see Red, Green, or Orange colors. If it is red some one owns the plot or you are trying to place too close. If it is green, you or someone else owns it and you have rights. If it is Orange it is wild.

We sorted it out now, it was just that annoying situation where the plot ends just before the floor :slight_smile:

2 Likes