World Regeneration prototype stress test

Well protection also means to install defense systems or myself around the regrowing ressource. I already thought about your issue :stuck_out_tongue:

@nevir says it! :wink:

3 Likes

regarding world simulation, the current plan is… nothing. Regeneration won’t and can’t trigger world simulation. It’d be incredibly, incredibly easy to get the regeneration into an ‘infinite’ loop’ as it were if everytime it regenerated something water started flowing etc!

whether we stop there, or whether that proves to be ‘too’ weird and we go for a half-way house of ‘regeneration doesn’t simulate, but maybe when a player gets too close and it stops regenerating the simulation starts up automatically again’ I don’t know (I hope we can keep it cheap and simple :P)

5 Likes

But REALLY difficult.

Other enterprising players can just build a 1x1x1 tower, grappling hook the top, and swing/hold down shift to land on the walls. It’d have to be some really well-built defenses to keep out someone from an un-beaconed area on the surface (especially once airships come into play…). And it doesn’t really seem worth it since there’s no guarantee that anything is going to regenerate there anyway. Seems better to just collect what you can and move on instead of wasting time/materials/beacon resources to protect a chance investment.

It’s looking a bit “blocky”. is this because the parameters are not tweaked yet ? Over all i like it :slight_smile:

Am i right with the assumption that the regeneration ALWAYS restores the completely original state of the world (like it was on the first start) ? I’d like to see/suggest/add a more “natural” approach of regeneration where “changes” in the world persist (not every crime to the nature can be undone) but the nature conquered their kingdom back eg. flooded gravel pit or or as it’s done artificial with renaturation (see artificial reefs) (sinke oil rigs and old ships in the see as “breeding ground” for a coral reefs).

OMG!
ACTUAL UPDATES! :dizzy_face:

1 Like

If the current system of beacon NxNxN blocks stays in place and the space above and below a beacon are reserved for that player. How does regeneration react to this reservation? Will it regenerate as normal or stop as if it were beaconed?

1 Like

only actual beaconed areas are protected from regeneration/players breaking stuff, reserved space only prevents other people making beacon claims.

3 Likes

You could just beacon the roof too. Everything below would regenerate.

1 Like

Then you just dig down I guess and tunnel in. If they’ve used enough beacons to completely surround a chunk to prevent going in from the top or bottom, then they’re hiding something crazy good. And I don’t know of anything that would be worth the resources/effort to do that haha.

2 Likes

I don’t either but it is at least possible^^

1 Like

At some point in the future I think something interesting to think about would be a very slow form of erosion in the game, just so you could get landscapes like this over time.

4 Likes

There is still one thing i wonder about: How fast does world regeneration take place? Is it a so fast that it concurs into a smooth morphing effect, or rather slow? A bit by bit regeneration - regenerating one block once in a while?
If it should be slow: You could add the fuzzly effect from portals to a regenerating block. First - fuzzle - then the new block fades in. Just an idea. I spoke with @olliepurkiss about this effect already. He said he wanted to investigate if it is heavy on system ressources.

1 Like

I don’t really understand. Will there be different ways to “occupy” space? (different kind of beacons?)

@clexarews with 26 beacons you can completely cover one plot. Maybe there will be recources which justify that. Or you build traps around a special area (of course it depends on how long traps can last depending on the “fouling process” of not beaconed areas).

@Combatman12 I am agains erosion. Even in slow intervals. Regeneration till the original state is okay, so you build best on original structure. But erosion that could decay cities built on rivers or oceans? How do you think that would look like? Move your beach house every 4 weeks or a harbour?

He´s referring to this part of the beacon mechanic:

So everything above & under your beacon is reserved (other players cant place a beacon there) but not protected.

2 Likes

Why do you have all these details in your mind. Do you work with a databank of dev statements? :smiley:

He’s just good at using the search function :wink: I could be too but I’m too lazy^^

1 Like

Well I work with a databank of dev statements, I call it my brain I am scarridly good at remembering useless information.

2 Likes

Something that could be used to generate these landscapes, different materials would be more affected by erosion, the time scale for erosion could be about 10 years to form something like that cove (which would have taken much longer). It would only take effect on the landscape not structures, you could even scale the time erosion takes with how far the area is to human structures.

1 Like

1 Like

10 years sounds extreme. No offense to anyone but if devs manage us to play this game for more then 10 years constantly it would be a master piece in game history (no doubt B< will be). But 10 years is a lot.

And if built or beacon safe structures survive, you would see somewhen flying islands in your erosioned coast.

2 Likes