Would boundless be better off if it cost 1/2 as much to buy?

I would’ve dropped this game in the first week if it’d been free or $5. I do it all the time :woman_shrugging: If a game starts to drag a little I think ‘meh, it was cheap. No real loss’ and play something else. If a game is $50, I’m gonna give it a bit longer before judging. Boundless needs that grace period, I think.

6 Likes

The game was free for a weekend and we did not get a permanent bump in the player count on steam. What we did get was a lot of abandoned builds that players needed to wait out beacons for. I am not sure why we would think free but time limited would be different now then it was last year.

4 Likes

I dont think free for a limited time would work either.

I just hope they plan to release an update big enough to warrent advertising for a bigger playerbase within the year, but at this rate I am doubtful

1 Like

Many friends of mine want to buy the game and I encourage them to do so, but the price is not attractive on PS4, and they have never had a discount of this game on this platform, my friends see that 40€ in a voxel with micropayments and subscriptions are something that makes them refuse to buy, I explain that it is not necessary to buy anything else, but they still do not trust too much.

I think a discount on PS4 could attract many new users who did not take the step for its price.

And it is not worth the excuse that you can invest thousands of hours and that this price is good, many games meet that too and are still discounted.

3 Likes

I see posts like this all the time. I think everybody should be happy with the price. I mean come on u pay it once then free updates. Events and the community and the devs actually listen. It’s better then being f2p and have to subscribe for more benefits. I say jack it up to 60. Ima backer and 60 bucks ain’t much at all. U get so much to do endless opportunities.

1 Like

It greatly affects the perspective, for example, you know what Boundless is and what it offers, so you could pay 60€ (you would also pay that knowing what it offers), but you have to see in the skin of people who do not know this game, you can they like it a lot, but they still don’t know it because they don’t trust paying 40€ and expect a discount that never comes, and in the end they forget it and never buy it, because this game lacks advertising and doesn’t remind users to try again and unfortunately a game cannot be maintained alone with its faithful community, it also needs new users and financial support.

3 Likes

10 characters

2 Likes

I didn’t buy the game for myself. It was a gift from two friends who wanted us to play as a group. I had never heard of Boundless, and I had never played Minecraft, though my kids did.

When I watched the trailer I was not at all impressed… but my friends were super excited so I said I would try it. Personally, I thought the price was fine. Coming from PS4, $60 for a game is pretty common. Anyway, my point is the price would not have turned me if even if so had paid for it myself.

The trailer though is weird. I think a better trailer would be the intro to Jiivita’s live streams… Anyway, I think a bit of advertising from PlayStation or at least a better trailer would help grab players.

I also have noticed a surge recently… always lots of new players. I think that is promising.

Anyway, I’m here for the long haul and have decided to wait and be surprised… but so would really consider the trailer… also curious about what others think about it.:blush:

2 Likes

I still say they need to do something to increase player count.

1 Like

I honestly didn’t read anything just saw the post title. Yes I think dropping the price would benefit the game once rentable planets are here. Dropping it to half the price now may not be beneficial with new changes coming to the game. It may bring more people to the game but will it just be more unkept beacons or played for a week and to much grind. Boundless needs to set its rules and concept 100% before anything else. Constantly changing rules and updates doesn’t make it an easily transition game to keep playing

2 Likes

There are still a few issues, like the plotting issues, that need to get polished before we should start pushing for more players. As it is, the game can go from best thing ever to a shitshow in the snap of a finger if the wrong two players collide.

My guess is the big PlayStation push will come with the PS5 in a few months with smoother hunting and increased render distance/reflections.

2 Likes

What about freetoplay with no travel option and 10 plots limit but with one week fuel only something like that

3 Likes

I like the general idea of limited freetoplay. The free time limited Steam offer is at least what brought me in (The conversion rate might be low but it is there)
I had it on my wishlist before but was never sure if I would like it and at that price point I am not willing to experiment. The 2 hour Steam refund is not an option for trying and it took me more than that to get hooked.
Some sort of organized free access would be really helpful in my opinion.

Rough idea:

• Have a dedicated freetoplay world (likely 1 per region). Everyone can visit but enforce a low plot limit like 10 to always have enough space.
  • Plotting on the remaining worlds is not allowed for them.
  • Do not spawn any resources unique to those planets because of plot limit.
  • Inform them with messages (for example when trying to plot on normal worlds) that they have to buy the game to unlock full features.
  • Only 1 character per account
  • Access to the remaining universe is required because of game progression and full interaction with players, economy and to see what is possible within the game
  • Introduce fuel limit on freetoplay beacons. When buying they can fuel them as normal to allow a smooth transition to a normal world.
3 Likes

I think the price for the game isn’t the problem for a low population. I think most people see it as a rip-off of games like Minecraft and decide to pass it up without doing research to see that it is different. Plus technically the game is still in development due to the devs adding new stuff in the game. The company isn’t as big as companies that make ones like Minecraft so they can’t add new material as fast as games like Minecraft. It’s population IMO is low because people are more interested in games like Minecraft that already have a huge fan base and ignore a lot of games that don’t.

It’s an RPG/MMO… they should always be releasing new content… it’s when they stop updating is when you need to worry.

5 Likes

Maybe on the ps4 side, it could be put on the ps plus free games for the month. That’s a possibility.

1 Like

Your so right around, the rip-off of Minecraft, my little bro calls it a rip-off, and I tell him it’s not, and I have seem people in streams and you tube videos say that Minecraft is better, but Minecraft has been out for a long time compared to boundless, it’s just not fair to compare them in my opinion.

It is a niche game. I don’t think it will ever have a huge player base.

I wonder what the sales numbers are? I know more than a couple of people who bought it and quit after a couple of weeks or months. I have a feeling the retention rate is not very high.

To people who love it like me, the game is a bargain. And to those it bores, it isn’t worth any price.

1 Like

Boundless is $50 Canadian as well, and its very hard for me to encourage other friends to buy it at that price tag, Perhaps just more deals to grab up players that are on the fence at the higher price tags.

Another option is getting on something Like Xbox game pass? but then they would really need other sources of income I would imagin, but that would bring in a huge amount of new players.

The cost of boundless is not the problem in my opinion. People are more than willing to pay for a good game. And while boundless has a lot of good qualities, it is still lacking in a lot of areas and that I suspect is what is keeping a lot of new players from joining. Specifically it is lacking in variety. Sure it has a lot of colors, but there are only a handful of actual different blocks. There are only a handful of different enemies/animals. There aren’t really any events to speak of. These are all things that would fall under the description of “Content”. So the game has a solid foundation, but it simply lacks any significant amount of content. Exo worlds are a great idea, but given that they are all built with the exact same limited building blocks they basically look the same and get old really fast, the only significant difference between the worlds are the colors of the items.

1 Like