4 Lucent Planet Types?

The forum mined up this old gem for me tonight:

Is this still a thing? Would people be excited for it?

My guess is it wouldn’t do a lot to the transport market but more likely increase the use of deco and maybe, eventually, tools.

So far the lucent planets have come one type at a time approximately every two weeks. Just speaking roughly. Assuming that this pattern was to continue that would put all the lucent types out close to an 8 week cycle. Hopefully it will be less predictable after things are all out and going for a while. And more than one type could come at once.

How do you guys feel about oort planets in the current state of the game? Since I wasn’t around back then I didn’t realize it had ever been planned.

Let’s not forget that the servers claim there are 8 blocks in the worlds that drop rough oortstone. I’m really interested in what these are and why are they there :smiley:

4 Likes

Way I see it, oort planets would almost certainly reduce the price of oortstones, with the amount depending on how common they are.

They are already substantially lower priced compared to other Lucent gem types, so I feel if they did exist they should do so alongside another lucent gem type, possibly as tier 8…?

That way their price dosen’t get substantially lower but still adds a nice side benefit.

2 Likes

I’d like being able to mine Rough Oort, although It should probably be rarer. I would only worry that if it was too accessible it would harm the hunting community we have right now, which is arguably the most active group in the game.

3 Likes

I was sort of wondering if it could be active loot crates caught in a snapshot, I know there are some jokes about them but no idea how consistent the numbers are.

I feel sort of silly but I honestly didn’t think of trying to find dormant meteorites with an atlas. I’m assuming if this worked someone would have mentioned it by now.

This is an interesting idea.

I’ve been rolling around some pros and cons but right now i have to agree a planet that delivered a flood of tens or hundreds of thousands of oortstones would probably cause a depression in the oort market. Even with deco available as an option.

I was initially thinking that many people would tend to hoard or consume rather than flooding request baskets. Still even by people getting a chance to hoard a fair amount some request baskets would surely be taken down. The net effect would be basically the same.

I sort of like the idea that by the time you get to a t8, or maybe even t7 lucent world you might find some oort seams, regardless of planet type. Something like a glowcap. If there are 20 on a world, it’s probably honestly not profitable to rush around and particularly mine them.

At the numbers in the charts above, those would not break any markets either. They would cause an occasional miner to try out a new area though :smile:

I don’t know how far that could go without having too much impact on existing mining patterns, but it’s not quite precious enough to leave a good lucent hot spot to chase one or two oort.

It’s not been hinted or teased that I’m aware of and people aren’t talking about it. The gave us the blocks but not any tools or anything to make with oort so I’m not really expecting oort planets. The gems and lucent ores line up nicely with the 3 and 6 types too.

Hunters get a fair amount of gems. I mean nobody is mass compacting after a hunt but 10% of rough gems being actual gemstones and 90% oort doesn’t seem wildly off.

I guess the minable oort thing got planned out of who knows from the one liner there how they were going to use it. A rare mining drop would be great though.

Mostly it was just a surprise to a person see who appears to have been a dev or something at the time bluntly state oort would be minable.

1 Like

Could be! Didn’t think about that.

On one of the recent planets (forgot which one), i remember seeing a 0.01 oortstone percentage in the resources tab. Upon placing one in an atlas, nothing showed up.

I am all for alternative ways to get oort, but I’m not so enthusiastic about that being mining. Right now the crafting tree feels to heavily weighted toward mining to me. This is primarily because to do any other kind of gathering you need the tools that are made primarily from mats from mining. Exo planets are primarily for miners. While some of them are good for surface mats, there’s nothing there you can’t get on regular planets (except color variations of course.) Gatherers got thrown a long overdue xp bone, but an alternative source of oort could be a good way to reward people who want to do something besides mine or hunt.

I do share concerns about fewer people hunting, which is one of main things that bring players together in this game.

3 Likes

It’d be interesting to see Oort seams located within another block type than rock. What about sand/gravel/soil? Tricky maybe with the typical depth and size of these formations?

OR

What about an Oort tree? Either just Oort hanging as seen with some gleam formations, though I’d go with far rarer and far fewer at once or possibly inside huge tree formations?