A living world? Enviroment, Ambience and realism

Hello, I am new to the community. This is my first thread.

When I first began playing games with day/night cycles, weather patterns, seasons, animal activities, it really impressed me. I think it shows the developers care to immerse you in the world, I think it is an important system of details. Do you concur?

I was wondering what weather patterns, seasons or environmental shifts Boundless has at the moment, before I make a list of suggestions.

The game (in itā€™s pre-alpha state) currently has (from your suggestions):

Day/night cycles
Weather patterns (storms, rain, sun, etc.)
Animal activities (if, by this, you mean random animals wandering around. The AI is at a basic level and will be improved prior to 1.0)
The trailer for the game also has snow around 1:13. Iā€™m guessing seasons/climate will be per world, not based on time intervals.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

If you mean by currently live in the gameā€¦ none, really.
Some things that have been confirmed by devs or acknowledged as planned features include:
Creatures:
predator/prey interactions
nocturnal/diurnal creature AI behaviors
passive, aggressive, and provoked aggressive AI types
a wide range of creature types such as plant-like, animal, flying, ethereal, burrowing, and titanic
Species of creatures differ based on world environment, and variants of creatures exist in multiple biomes

Biomes
Hundreds of unique planets each with unique sets of biomes of their own.
Weather patterns like rain, lightning storms, snow, etc.
Planetary events have been hinted at such as volcanic events or meteor strikes
Planets may have unique sets of minerals and resource imbalances.

There are several more things that have been confirmed or suggested, but weā€™d love to hear your ideas and suggestions as well!

3 Likes

Beautiful. Very nice to hear. I look foward to seeing these put in effect. I am hesitant to suggest additional things because of ā€˜too muchā€™ to consider pre alpha.

Miscellaneous thoughts:

-On some worlds, the four Seasons found in Northern North America
-On others, a ā€˜rainy seasonā€™, perhaps in a more tropical environment with no winter.
-Sandstorms in deserts

Effects that are not simply for appearance. Perhaps rain could increase plant and crop growth, and during the dry season these slow.

Sandstorms endanger desert mines and can deposit sand places (Uncomfortable places.) like over your constructs.

Perhaps one world is prone to thunder storms, or has an abundance of magma/lava. Could machines be powered by these?

Alot of rain can create pools and ponds or even floods. Donā€™t build in the low part of a canyon dummy.

1 Like

You say hundreds of plants and unique mineral concentrations. There are practical uses for all of these? Or will these be developed?

Personally I am interested in designing a ā€˜Skull Islandā€™ environment. (2005 King Kong remake.)

Yes, everything should have some value. Exploitation of resource imbalances is a major part of trade. As for your biome preference, anything should be possible with little to no Terraforming required.

Yes, Minecraft sort of had that, for instance more emeralds in extreme hills biome, but not enough biome specific valuable resources, mine at levels 1-12 and you find all the more valuable materials.

I look foward to seeing the living breathing world.

1 Like

Not quite like that- what I mean is some worlds will have an abundance of things like iron or copper, but lack rubies and emeralds, while another world may have rubies, but no metals. Some worlds may have vast forests and rivers, but little minerals to mine, and some may be desolate and barren on the surface, but teeming with valuable resources below. You will have to travel to other planets and explore other biomes to find everything yourself, or just trade with other players.

Sorry I wasent clear in my previous post lol , I agree with what is being setup.

Oh ok gotcha :stuck_out_tongue:

We had a solar eclipse at one point but that was arranged by the devs ^.^

1 Like

Are you implying someone is of planetary proportions?

No like they made a solar eclipse appear in the game at the time of the full solar eclipse we had some time ago.

:stuck_out_tongue: Silly goose

I think astronomical events / natural disasters are great. Perhaps rare ā€˜somethingā€™ could be acquired or manufactured at these times.

1 Like

On another thread something was brought up, environmental effects on characters.

Dehydration
Hunger
Cold
Heat
Atmospheric composition

Thoughts?

All things that have been asked for, but not yet acknowledged as a feature. I would love to see these features to some degree, but I donā€™t want to always be babysitting status bars. My hopes are that only harsher environments trigger these bars to activate and only slowly drain. Hunger and thirst are alright for all of the time, buy heat, cold, and oxygen should be situational.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s reasonable, Iā€™m used to watching a food bar. Why not a thirst bar. Gives more purpose in going to a bar. In MineZ/DayZ you had thirst.

The Division does this with certain areas being posioned and requiring a ā€œfilterā€ to survive for long periods of time in. If you have the gear, you can bypass it but if you donā€™t, you get a status bar that constantly drains. I really like it and think itā€™d be good for what youā€™re talking about.

3 Likes

That concept could work for extreme environments, for example an arctic enviroment. You need the proper survival gear to resist the cold.

Environmental effects like this add to the challenge of the game, finding fuel for fires, fur clothes for warmth, the harsh hunting survival aspect of some worlds that some players will enjoy, particularly if there is a good reason to live in those areas, like a certain rare resource, like idkā€¦Narwhal tooth.

I definitely think a food bar is necessary, and I do support a non pain in the butt thirst bar, I donā€™t want to be rushing off every 5 minutes to find water.

Activity/environment should effect drain rate off of a common medium.