A new name for Oort Online...?

Hm, I have

Solium - A Game of Thrones … eheh :confused:
But seriously, Solium sounds not bad and is Latin for throne.
Solium - The Oasis of Spaces.

The Witcher: You assume it will have to do with magic and/or fantasy elements. Possibly a medival setting. And that the protagonist most likely is a man.

Elder Scrolls: You think of something ancient. It gives the impression of a big lore. Maybe even multiple lores.

• Skyrim: For me it does sound as uninviting as the world of skyrim is^^ And if you think of it in the literal sense. It gives of a nordic vibe.

Bioshock: You kind of know it has something to do with biology. The shock might implie something negativ with something biological. Doesn’t seem too far of if you ask me^^

Far Cry is the only thing which really doesn’t give away anything about the game. The other names are quite well thought out.

1 Like

The witcher games are built on polish mythology.

Skyrim is the area of the world you are in.

Bioshock refers to the physical changes in your biology when you take the serums, essences (cant remember the name)

Far cry is made as a depiction of a deserted island or a sort of place where it doesnt matter how much you yell or cry, you wont get help.

so all in all, quite… bad examples to use for ‘‘bad names’’

3 Likes

I also think we don’t need a new name but for your examples:

The elder scrolls are an important part of the story of the series of the game and Skyrim is the name of the land where the game is playing (like Morrowind, oblivion, Daggerfall or Mordor, Hoth, etc)

Bioshock is an homage to their previous game series System shock (1&2) where a computer went mad.

Far Cry is an idiom for something that is far away or different, probably referring to the exotic places where the game series take place:

far cry:

1. A long way: stuck at the airport in Memphis, a far cry from Maine.
  2. Something that is very different from something else: This food is a far cry from what we got in the cafeteria.
1 Like

Maybe it depends on the quality or size of the next content in Oort. Could be that the devs found out that they have done an awesome job and the quality or style of Oort doesn’t match a curious name anymore. Probably they’re aiming for epics.
Oort is also fine with me and a nice name. Also the Oort typo is cool and appealing. Nevertheless I love thinking about names. It’s fun!

What typo?

The Oort logo. Didn’t mean the new alphabet. Having an Oort alphabet is absolutely fantastic. But honestly - it made me feel really, really dumb.

I might be overlooking something but I see no typo^^

1 Like

2 O, 1 R, 1 T = Oort. Where is the typo?

In your butt.

That was uncalled for!
Would you care to explain what problem/typo you find in the logo?

2 Likes

@Zouls , while I do like the names you’ve came up with, I feel they’re a bit too bulky for a name, in my opinion.

I think the perfect name will be fairly short and catchy, the “Oort” part in the existing name of the game fits it well. It sounds strange and mysterious (what IS Oort?..), which suits the game and its lore. We don’t know a thing about the Oortians as of now, and the name makes us think about what they really were… and what happened to them.

However, I feel the Online part has become a staple of any game that aspires to be an MMO (or has at least some MMO aspect in it), and I’m not sure that’s a good thing. Why become like everyone else out there? Being different (in a good way) is a good thing.

@ben @james I’d like to ask you guys what do you, as a dev team, think about the name of the game. I guess you already had that discussion in your HQ — what are your thoughts on the subject?

6 Likes

@ben what are the variants of Oort name, that you received after the Third Vote? Show a list, please.

this is not really a matter of being like everybody else, but more an easy identifier, i love online games so i sometimes search around for online, if somebody is looking for an online game and we got a name that doesnt have online, they might just skip right past it, and as i said earlier given the whole local server hosting thing MC uses, i suspect not having online in the name will turn into one of those ‘‘Omg you didnt say anywhere that it was online’’ (and yes this sounds absolutely idiotic but i have seen it happen waaay too many times to ignore it)

1 Like

The “Online” part doesn’t have to be in the name itself, it’s just a keyword used as a means for SMO. It can be mentioned a couple times on the pages of the game and it will get it into the search results.

Fair, that will come in a later discussion i reckon, i personally like it for clarity, also makes it a hell of a lot easier to argue with the ‘‘Omg MC clone’’ and ‘‘Omg why dis ■■■■ game no haz singleplayer’’ trust me, i have dealt with these guys on steamhub, i KNOW it happens

What if instead of renaming the game, simply attach a subtitle instead? Example:
Oort Online
Legacy of the Creators

The original name is kept intact, and you now have a bit of an idea of what kind of game this will be. Other subtitles may work better, LotC is just the first off the top of my head.

1 Like

Oort online: Echo of Creation. would be pretty sweet

4 Likes

This would be a good way to introduce big addons like in WoW :TBC, WotLK etc but I think they made this thread because they wanted to hear alternatives to Oort Online.