A Process for removing someone's beaconed plots

Interaction… trying to bring MMO feel… you can add steam friends during user creation.

1 Like

i wonder how many created the forum account without using an email they check regularly.I wonder what email i used as it just auto logs me in if i am on the forums by now. maybe it’s time for me to say hello to account settings. lol

The way I seeit, it would be based off the email you used for your in game account

Or it goes to spam. Email cannot be relied upon.

1 Like

Unfortunately there dosen’t seem to be any real way to solve abandoned beacons from players who no longer play (outside of my original solution, which pretty much everyone hated), because there no way to tell if it actually is abandoned without asking the player.

The only way to do this, outside of getting lucky and finding them on the fourms or on discord, is by email, which would likely take up too much of the devs time. (not to mention other comments about even that getting ignored or considered spam)

I believe they’re seperate, but you could use an email for the game and a second email for the forum

1 Like

This^^

You can also continue to add steam friends whenever you make a new friend or your existing friend creates a new character, by going to your character select screen and importing them again.

Also works the same for PS4 friends list as well I believe.

My situation was a bit different. It was obvious griefing. I got receipts(video/screenshots of them doing it & chat) just in case :wink:
They told me to do something. I said no. They got mad at me, buried a beacon and surrounded me 100%. The situation was taken care of.

2 Likes

I had two random plots that I forgot about and the person that wanted them was able to find me and ask me about them. I unplotted them for him.

I had another place plotted that I was no longer going to use…the person that wanted it was able to find me, ask me about it, and obtain the plots from me.

I’ve had some ppl tell me that they found the person that had plots that they wanted and the other player refused to talk with them. Some ppl just want to do what they want to do. If they aren’t griefing, I’m not sure what the devs are expected to do about it.

3 Likes

Ok I say scrap the idea to remove plots based on inactivity. Griefing plot removal is and should always be a thing.

How about adding the option to see if a beacon has gleam club? We can already see other players that have gleam club by the symbol over their head. What are the downsides to seeing if a beacon is gleam club/how long a beacon has left before it expires (other than it smoking)?

I only ask because it could make a difference between waiting a beacon out or just moving your own build.

4 Likes

This (above), the ability to pm the beacon owner from the beacon regardless if there’s a mailbox, and maybe even the email thing might greatly decrease the amount of problematic beacons.

3 Likes

Having thought on this a bit, it’d need some other measure I think, like >x placed blocks within beacon. Or some already requested tweaks to prestige values per block. Someone could build a lovely treehouse and not hit 10k.

Another thing i thought about also. You could place 10,000 natural blocks and build something cool but may not hit 10,000 pretige. X blocks placed could work, but I don’t see anything I mentioned actually making it in game besides maybe seeing the beacon duration.

This is a big part of the point of the thread for me right here. Someone has earned this privilege one way or another. You don’t just take their stuff.

This is part of why I understand that plots will be moved on occasion. If there are screenshots (or just logs) if a person stating they are placing a beacon to mess with you - the issue of player contact becomes a bit moot.

When a player says something that amounts to “I don’t like the shape of that beacon” and a dev responds with (basically) “yeah I’d probably just delete that” …

Well I have concerns about that. Enough to point out that it would be wise to have some controls in this situation. I had no idea there would be so many wanting a way to just take people’s plots on a whim.

I know there is at least one person on the forum complaining that they should be able to take someone’s plots in one town, while they “block development” in another. People are greedy, and short sighted. To be fair, it’s in our nature. When you do something you have “Reasons” but when someone else does the same thing you hear “Excuses”.

Vehemently disagree. I’m sorry you feel encouraged to post this. It leads me to assume that you are playing boundless for free, possibly on your parents dime, and have never actually owned anything yet in real life.

Maybe you should be able to walk up and request my car, too? And it doesn’t matter if I have a job or a life I’m forced to get time off of work and attend some arbitration to prove that I plan to drive my car again at some time in the future?

Just because you noticed it being parked for a few days while I was on vacation, right?

You know, I do too. Requiring a legit attempt at contact and at least an attempt at arbitration is perfectly normal in pretty much any case of legit property seizure. Even in heavily populated areas where there is a legitimate need for infrastructure.

Sometimes even in cases of ad faith a person hides, or runs, or gets caught up in something else and actually can’t be reached. There are thresholds for this too, a point at which most people can shake their head and agree that a reasonable attempt was made.

We trust judges to decide whether a person should live or die. But we STILL don’t let them take people’s land without due process.

‘Abandoned’ plots are not a thing. Literally by definition if it has a fueled bacon on it, it’s not abandoned.

Criminal activity (real violation of the TOS) is pretty much assumed to be grounds for seizure in every real and virtual world I’m aware of. Bored players forcing staff and players to endlessly jump through a “response” process in the hopes that someone slips and they get a plot is all I see with your suggestion.

And entitled people who feel like they should be able to walk around pointing at things and saying “oooh, I want that”.

3 Likes

Big difference between a few days and a few months. I get the point you’re trying to make, but abandoned vehicle laws do exist in some of the U.S. and remedial processes to go with them. It’s all about determining the appropriate threshold for what constitutes this kind of mechanic

Thank you that’s entirely my point. Sometimes it has to happen.

There is a clear threshold for making that decision, and a detailed process for cleaning up the mess. Custody and waiting times regarding the disputed property are determined in advance.

Depending on the community the person who filed the complaint may be able to get the abandoned vehicle title at the end or it may be sold to fund the research, enforcement, and cleanup costs.

These things are determined in advance and voted on according to local law and procedure.

I don’t think that the devs need to let the players vote or anything like that. It’s a private platform. But i think the process should be clear before a person can make a reasonable decision regarding how much they want to invest into that private platform.

I’m done though. I’ve made my suggestion, and it’s exhaustively clarified. A defined process for this distasteful activity normalizes expectations and will help prevent an unknown but obviously huge number of wasted hours on endless “case-by-case” drama and upset. It’s helpful for everyone involved.

1 Like

Personally, I hate those random 1-plot beacons in the middle of cities, that have nothing built on them. They are clearly for teleporting to. It is an eye sore, and disrupts the layout of the city.

That being said, I do not think anyone should have their plots removed. Letting the plot die naturally is the only fair way to do it.

I was that person with an undeveloped couple of plots in Gravidias Te, right next to the PS Hub. Those guys probably hated my little spot of land. Lol. But I eventually built something on it.

I have a few plots on Angel 1, in I think the city is called Lawn Clippings. Similar situation where I havent done anything to my land. I want to, but apparently the jerks who run that city thought my land was ugly and built walls around it (they kindly left a door sized hole for me to get in and out of). Every attempt I’ve made at shouting for them hasn’t gotten a response. So now I will just leave that unfinished land there forever! I will refuel it for eternity and never build anything on it! Cram it up your cram hole, LeFleur!

2 Likes

I agree with you simply because it’s too late for Boundless to change their policy this late in. However, that doesn’t mean a private server, or a game in the future, couldn’t state in the ToS and with in-game messages that if you’re going to be away for x months or whatever, make a sign with your return date, or email devs, or change forum status, and leave contact info for the devs to contact you when you make an account. It should be part of the ToS, but I agree it’s too late for Boundless to change now.

Gleam club does not make someone immune to being contacted (or it shouldn’t, at least). Also, gleam club does not make someone immune to the CoC and ToS. I’m not saying devs should change how and when they remove plots, but I am saying that giving everyone with gleam club a pass is silly.

Yeah, this idea would be fine if the game launched with the clear ToS that you needed to provide a way to be contacted by devs offline. I think it would have solved so much. But I’m starting to think it’s too late now. Maybe a game in the future will make use of this important communication tool for case-by-case resolutions.

Really?

So you think its OK for someone to claim 100 plots and then do absolutely NOTHING in them for 6, 8 months? A year??

This game is becoming just like Ark.

People place pillars every 2 feet claiming hundreds of acres of land It made even getting land for yourself impossible.

I live near a settlement on a river.

They’ve claimed hundreds of unused plots.

Most of those haven’t been touched since I started playing, and now they’re coming over to the other side of the river and claiming even more plots near my little base.

Pretty soon they’ll have all the land on both sides of the river.

Its ridiculous.

There are 48 planets. Over 16 million plots. Not impossible.

You just described my home base 100% lol. I was angry at first, but now I have several builds for different reasons, and I don’t care that people have plotted near me. I kinda think it’s cool now bc they give me footfall and use my portals. Lol so I put up doors to let them in

1 Like