A way to sell plots/land?

Is there currently a way to sell or even give away plots of land to other players? I think it would be cool to create houses for selling purposes. It would be a cool addition to the economy!

Tell someone if they give you said amount, you will unplot your beacon and they can put theirs down.

1 Like

Plots do not fade away for hours, so they have plenty of time.

It still requires a certain level of trust though and gives an opening for griefing, however briefly, during the handoff.

I really like the idea of selling real estate and the plots along with it for coin. Having a real estate ā€œfor saleā€ sign object would be awesome.

2 Likes

It would be cool if you could set a price on the beacon, and once youā€™ve done that, people would be able to just buy the beacon and itā€™s contents. Given the current reservation system and the inability for even the same player to have two beacons that vertically overlap, I donā€™t think any technical changes to plots would be needed. I would suggest that it has to have a few design quirks to make it less prone to abuse too. Something like:

• A player plots land and builds on it.
  • They sets a price on the beacon control.
  • All permissions for that plot are suspended for all users.
  • The owner of the beacon can cancel the sale, whereby previous permissions are resumed.
  • Anyone can interact with the beacon control and view the price and players with enough plots can pay the sale price.
  • Once the deal is complete, all existing permissions on the beacon are deleted and the ownership is transferred.
  • The original owner gets the money via the gift interface.

Optionally, if you wanted an auction style system there could be additional steps before the ā€˜deal completeā€™ step.
Offers could just be listed in the beacon, and then the original owner could accept whichever offer they want to (assuming that they person making the offer still have the required number of plots at the time of accepting). This way, the control over who to sell to is in the hands of the owner, as I think it should be. All of the money for offers that werenā€™t accepted would be returned to the appropriate people via the Gift interface or something similar.

The only drawback is that in doing so, you are legitimising (by making it a workable process) the concept that the more greedy / selfish folks can or should plot land that they KNOW someone else is going to want and the immediately set a high price on it

6 Likes

I like the second option, especially since itā€™s all location, location, location. Plus a bidding aspect could be really fun.

But nonetheless, this would give p2w antagonists more ammo.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure I agree with the idea of selling the entire beacon. If someone wanted to sell a plot of land neighboring their own, how would they do it?

The problem with giving land to ppl is that you will never ever get it back.
I wanted to make a marketplace on an open place we have in Gellis Prime village,
but i dont know how to do it, if i give 1x1 plots to ppl, i dont know if they will build high towers or just portal houses that would make this all not feel like a market place.

and even if i give it to thrustwortly ppl, then i can never know if they will maybe stop playing in 8 weeks or 1 year or something, and then the land is going to a full stranger.

would be cool if we could also rent a beacon, so that the person renting it getting full control for an givern amount of time (and the owner dont get any control anymore whiles the beacon is rented)
could work like fuel, just with coins that then (after tax) going to the owner of the beacon.

Right, this would be nice incentive to find every build in vicinity and put 3 or 4 beacons around it. Nice way for some completely innocent extortion for plots. Some of my alts has like 80 plots unused :smiley: That would be happy and steady stream of revenue.

1 Like

If someoneā€™s behavior is suspected of intentional extortion, you can report.

When ends investment into land as start extortion?
We already has a problem of people investing into hubs by placing one beacon and forgetting bout it.

If noone ask for money, can only think of it as a forgotten plot.

And if anyone ask for money i treat it as extortion?

I think adding any feature to facilitate plots sales will just add fuel to the ā€œP2Wā€ dumpster fire.

My view : hands off.

3 Likes

That would be fairly straight forward. Un-plot just the plots you want to sell and beacon and plot them separately. Then sell the new beacon.

If you want to get it back, then donā€™t sell it. That seems pretty straight forward. Definitely like the idea of renting though beacons though, that sounds like a great extension to beacon selling. Would probably add another level of complexity (can you/how do you evict someone, can you alter rent for future rent periodsā€¦ and a whole bunch of other stuff)

Yeah, I did note that it legitimised less scrupulous behaviour by making it more accessible. That being said, people can already do that now if they want to by plotting nice locales in exactly the same way. Itā€™s just requires more work to sell.

And this exact reason is why iā€™m so very much against it.
This game was about building communities. Inviting land shards wonā€™t help anyone but themselves.

Since you can buy plots for real money, I think including a way to exchange plots in the game directly for coin starts to sound like P2W. If it is informal, I am not sure the developers can do much unless someone is trying on purpose to stop a settlement from growing then under the new code of conduct you might be able to report them for griefing. Especially if they surround your plots with theirs

1 Like

Selling/Renting plots also opens up a host of other issues. Cause what if a group, or even a single person and his alts, found a really good location, built up a very nice city, the bought all the land within 500 blocks around it. And the only way for you to make a shop in that town, or live there, is if they sell you very overpriced plots, or have very high rent.

The normal answer is ā€˜Go to another townā€™ right? But what if EVERY town started doing this? After all, there is no set price. Like with shops, rent and price for plots would be all over the place, and no one knows what is or isnā€™t worth it.

There are also other things. Would you being selling/renting 1 plot only. Or can there be more? instead of 1 square, how about 4 squares? And what if the location to buy, is on a slope and requires 2 plots to build without destroying the slope the town made?

Itā€™s an interesting idea, but I can already imagine ways of it being very abusive. Especially if you add in the pay to win aspect, where people can pay lots of money to quickly soak up land across entire planets, and forcing people to pay them to live on that planet.

And you appear to ignore the fact that if people want to do it, they already can do this. Beyond that, the major problem with this point of view is that it means we donā€™t actually get features that the vast majority of us will use responsibly, and which will enrich the game massively.

This is an excellent case in point, but an even better one is water source block. Do you know how long itā€™s been since the ā€˜couldā€™ have been implemented, but just havenā€™t because of the fears of potential griefing?

cough Can only be placed in a plot owned by you, canā€™t be placed in the air, and the water does NOT escape/move outside of the the plot itā€™s placed in, and others you own. cough

There you go. Grief proof. Now get out of here and actually use your brain for creative solutions.