Ability to shape glass is necessary

Signs do work though. They make a nice alternative 0 just gotta try to avoid the “To many complex blocks” error.

5 Likes

I understand the edges would disappear in some cases, but that really isn’t a good reason not to let this be possible. If visibility is such a big problem for people, then take away the edges entirely and use a plain texture which is translucent. There is a way to do this without messing with everything going on.

At the moment glass is a voxel based block, not a mesh. Making it a mesh will add it to the 500 limit (complex block) pool, which I personally don’t see as a problem. There’s a glimmer of hope here though;

2 Likes

Here is where I see it as possibly a problem. If I have a wall of glass in a chink that is only 1 plot high then I am using 8x8x2 = 128 meshes just for the glass. So I have burned through one quarter of the mesh limit for a wall of glass. In the builds I have seen this is more common than you might think. Players separate areas of their workshop[ with glass or build skylights or a wall of glass looking out over a lake or towards a view. In EA I had a wall of glass that was 5 plots tall and a couple wide. I would not have been able to build that if glass was a mesh and not a block. I would prefer some caution before we assume that we are not creating a limit in being able to use glass that will ultimately create more issues for builders than it solves.

I assume they will keep the glass block, but also add window props for people who want to use them.

2 Likes

Anything that offer options I am good with.

1 Like

If we cant chisel glass, maybe just give us the option to make half a glass block in refinery or something. . . I dunno if that would be any easier but just an idea.

Seems an easy option. Like Minecraft where you could build slabs for example [not sure you could build slabs of glass in that game either] - maybe slabs has a technical problem with regards to glass as well but seems like a good option :slight_smile:

1 Like

in minecraft you could make both glass panes and blocks

If the issue is the edges would dissapear on a chiseled glass block then add a refined glass option which is coloured and make that type of block chiselable. Who doesnt want stained glass anyway.

The issue being that stained glass isn’t currently possible with this game engine’s system