Testing 204: Atlases++ and Signs++!

Updated OP with overview video by @Jiivita.

7 Likes

For Silver and Gold, I feel they should he different, yes. But for Gem, I don’t think they should be, because they are the best of the best. Every Gem Tool should be the exact same but color, and should be higher damage then every tool, faster than every tool, and last longer than every tool. Especially when there are so many gem kinds.

If they were going to split the gems, then there should only be 1 Gem, instead of the… 4? 6? However many we have right now.

And I brings this up, because look at the other tools:

Wood/Stone
Copper/Iron
Gold/Silver
Fast/Slow

Then we get:

Titanium
Ruby
Emerald
Diamond
and so on.

It breaks the pattern, it breaks the balance. The gems, and Titanium, aren’t Paired to be balanced. With 1 being slower, and the other being faster.

They complicated it, broke the system, made each Gem different from each other, on top of each being easier and harder to find, and Titanium doesn’t have a matching pair either and left alone too.

It’s as if they created the tools up to Silver, maybe added Titanium as the top tier best tool ever. Then later on just stuck Gems at the top for no reason, and ignored everything before gem tools, just giving them bigger numbers without care for balance or reason. It’s a mess.

Hey again, @jesshyland.

People are currently using doors with transparency as windows - such as regular Gleam doors, and Ornate Wooden Doors. With the addition of these new transparent Signs, I imagine people will also be using Gleam Signs as windows.

Since we’re already using meshes as windows, perhaps you guys could just consider finally putting this glass issue to bed, and giving us mesh windows? We’re all aware there is a limit to how many meshes can be placed in an area before you’re told you can’t place anymore - it’ll be just down to player discretion which meshes they want to use on their build.

(I think the current limit is 500 per chunk, which is still a hefty amount)

I love all your work, and I know you’d work wonders given free reign to design the windows you originally wanted, without restriction.

5 Likes

Actually, the gem system works pretty well. especially with these few minor tweaks to shore up durability issues and increase the low-end damage. You use the different types of gem tools for different applications. It isn’t complicated or broken. Once you get to that point in the game, you will see its not nearly the mess you think it is. Keep on, keeping on, Jiro. :smile:

7 Likes

This is just your internal rule set about patterns though. I take each material on its merit when I view them so more variety without obvious winners is preferable to me. I would imagine a lot of people are like me and don’t have an expected progression path baked in at the outset.

I feel I’m not being that clear, I mean: “Is Ruby worth mining?” is a question I ask myself, but never “Where does Ruby sit in the progression and is that in keeping with my expectations?” The former directly affects my play time plans and what I want to achieve.

1 Like

Window meshes are somewhere on the Big List of Stuff For Jess To Do but it’s a pretty long list and alas, I am but one woman with only so much time in the day. It certainly is something I’d like to do though.

18 Likes

We need to clone you.

11 Likes

To me, the question is always “Which tool has the highest Durability compared to damage” and to me that is the most important question. Because look at the patch notes tools again for example:

Out of just these 4 tools, Topaz is straight up the best tool there, and the only tool worth buying and using.

Why? Because while Sapphire and Ruby do more damage, they break faster. And when you’re at the point of 1 hitting a block, damage has no meaning.

Iron, Silver, Titanium, and so on. Damage has meaning, cause even with Max stats, they can not 1 hit blocks on certain worlds.

Gem Tools, with Max Stats, can 1 hit on nearly every world, and the ones they can’t, if you can afford Gem Tools you can afford Strength Potions as well to make them 1 hit.

At that point, Durability is the most important stat, because the longer the tool lasts, the less money you have to buy replacing them.

You’d have to waste more money over time to buy Sapphite and Ruby Tools, compared to Amethyst and Topaz, meaning if you use the 2 former tools, you’re losing money over all, and more often as well.

^ that isn’t opinion, that’s math and straight up fact. Topaz is the best tool there out of the 4 seen and their stats shown.

yay!
content is king!

nobody can say the devs are not listening to the community after this changes!

oh damn i missed that :frowning:
any screenshots?

1 Like

https://twitter.com/playboundless/status/1057597663309451264

…all the Bokoblin came back to life as well!

5 Likes

I am so looking forward to the atlas update in particular :smiley: …I’m going to hopefully have a go in testing this weekend to check it out … as well as the new signs … looks like a really good update :grin:

1 Like

The trouble with that kind of thinking - “math and fact” to paraphrase - is that it assumes everyone values that the same as you do. Where you see a clear winner that means there is no point farming something else, I see an opportunity to get a tool which is nearly as good and perhaps isn’t as heavily populated at peak mining times by other players.

That’s just one example. The problem with basing everything off maths like that is although it’s technically correct, it’s often different in practice. If all gem tools were adjusted to perform exactly equally in terms of durability loss to mining it would be a boring choice and at that point you may as well just have one gem type.

I’m not saying you’re incorrect, I’m saying everyone has a different lens and what’s best for one of us might not be as valuable to others.

4 Likes

Cool list of thing on update.
First time after 1.0 I did jump to test server to check out some of the things… I mean new signs :smiley:
Because recent deluxe purchase I was able to test colors on signs, and those work like on gleam club color chat, so easy to use :slight_smile:

Hard to say much about tool and weapon changes, to me there is no point to test those in unknown worlds. But what I can say is, awesome that slingbow durabilities are increased. Changes to topaz make it interesting choice instead of emerald and diamond, feels like now all planet types have own power gem type.

These knowledge and GUI additions are great to me these are best thing on this update. Still missing search but all these things should make many players playing much easier when client is able to show information better and faster.
Now that game knowledge shows everything I think some craftable/have skill indicator or filter might be good to knowledge. And crafting skills on skills showing unlocked recipes finally in this skill system, very nice!
Nice update now just waiting it to come live :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do the hex codes count against the character limit on the sign?

2 Likes

Great looking update, can’t wait :smiley:

Looks like a great update. Here’s hoping a last minute fix to the footfall might slide into this as well.

2 Likes

Damn, that’s a little disappointing :frowning:

2 Likes

Do a little bit of math. If you don’t count the hex values, a rainbow text could be 9 times as long as a regular text. This would need further textvalidation and parsing and bigger datatypes in the DB or other persisting worldstorage.

Nice Update sounds very interesting.
But i have a question: are there any news on the Linux Version? @james