About gathering epic?

I was reading this topic about the gathering epic because im confused whether it’s actually worth it? Is Gathering Epic Working as Intended?

I got 8/8 luck, is it true that if I take also gathering epic I will hit some sort of cap that diminishes the value of gathering epic if you have too much luck? Can a developer answer with correct information: is there a cap on the chance to get the drops? Can you hit the cap if you have 8/8 luck AND gathering epic at the same time? Where exactly is the cap, and how much chance is wasted if you got both 8/8 luck and gathering epic? Additionally what if you got the “+all attributes” maxed too, for even more luck?

If indeed there is a max cap, shouldn’t there be an ingame information/feedback notification about it when you have hit the cap? I dont understand why such information should be hidden from players.

1 Like

I’d also like to add in the points of luck you can get from the “all attributes” points too.

1 Like

Good point, I forgot about that.

I would suggest watching this video about the topic.

1 Like

isnt the gathering epic only increasing the chance of rare drops?

thanks I will definately watch it! (just need to go buy some advanced mixer power coils :grin:)

I dont think so, but Im not sure. If you take a look at luck then it specifically says it increases the chance of rarer drops. But Gathering Epic does not say that, it just says drop chance from plants, boulders and fungus is increased which sounds like ANY drop chance from plants, boulders and fungus would be increased? But it’s difficult to know. I will watch video and perhaps get wiser.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, I got confused there. There was time in the past when description wasn’t correct if I remember correctly.

In general I just don’t remember much from past discussions and the posted video which I watched back when it was released. So, this topic here is a good way to refresh my memory.

Good video, especially spreadsheet at https://youtu.be/7G_bZnSmwhc?t=153, very informative. So it ALL helps, both luck and gathering epic will help with the drop chances. Significantly as it seems.

Though I find it surprising that luck increases ALL chances, and not just the rarer drops? Something seems wrong about that when the luck tool tip says it is only the “rarer” drop chances that luck increases…?? Earthyams are “rare”?

Are there any way to know which items are classified as “rare”?

The tool tip may be slightly misleading but it effects any drop that is not the block its self from my understanding, and that is everything from as common as Earthyams to as rare as gems the like

So basically anything not a “block” is “rare”

The luck description need to be change, it definitely affects boulder and plant drops.

There’s another thread around here from when I tried to run my gatherer without luck. It’s a huge waste of your time, and affects most drops more than the gatherer epic for sure. I only found out how much by taking it off after running as a full luck/gathering epic forager for a while.

Try gathering for a few hundred items with and without luck. You’ll find that you need luck maxed for the gathering epic to show much effect. The description is very misleading in that it specifically mentions things and leaves out plants.

From the information in the video it shows that luck has the greatest effect both in terms of percentages which are significantly higher than gathering epic but also because it affects drops from everything and not just plants, boulders and fungus. Though gathering epic does still in and of itself give a nice boost to drops from plants, boulders and fungus. In fact shimmering orbs gives, with just gathering epic a nice 61% increase, only 9 percentage point below max luck.

Yes this is nice but it’s out of line with the rest of the objects tested in the video too. Also it’s fair to note those are not fixed percentages, they’re results of a series of tests with an RNG and so are not necessarily repeatable.

There is not a fixed 61% increase in shimmering orb drops. Or a fixed 19% on spicy beans.

In any case, my point stands that the description of the luck skill is incorrect and misleading. It could use a change. It’s a side note but it has to come up in every discussion about the gathering epic because it’s description implies that it won’t affect these drops.

1 Like

gathering epic isn’t epic

1 Like

Yes I do know that it was a test and not say for example reading the actual game source code, but his dataset was rather large, which does give it a high degree of certainty.

I dont disagree that the description of luck is misleading and certainly obscure as to what high luck actually benefits you. Truth be told these vague descriptions was what prompted me to ask the questions in the first place.