About the Level Of Details in Boundless

Hello,

We currently have a very limited LOD range and as many know, it was bigger in the past. Is this a limitation for the server? For how much bandwidth it needs or why was/is limited?
If the LOD is client based and depended on the power of your PC, it would be very good if a slider could be added in the graphics settings. I keep trying to make some screenshots with the Sunken City but… when I try to capture more buildings everything just looks like big pixels. :frowning:

If by enabling this feature performance issues appear than I’m very ok with how it is right now. My activity in game is not to make photos :stuck_out_tongue: but, if it is possible to extent the range, please do so! A lot of people will be grateful for that.

With respect,
Lion

3 Likes

There is a graphics setting called “target fps” that automatically reduces your other graphics settings (inculding draw distance and landscape detail) to preserve that target fps.
Try to reduce the target fps and see if you can achieve better results.

3 Likes

I’m fairly sure we have not reduced lod detail ranges at any point…

The limitation is on client performance and vram, but it does increase our bandwidth quite substantially (think 4x for double lod ranges, so 1 player can have the cost of 4 players) depending on how big the client cache is and how well it is used.

I wouldnt be suprised if we later added a “super mega extreme” option that pushes it out further once we can analyse bandwidth usage with larger numbers of players.

6 Likes

I have an i7 4.2 Ghz and a GTX 1070 with the game on a SSD, shouldn’t have any problems performance wise.
I will try to remove the frame limit (think it’s set for 60 fps) and see what happens when I get home.

I’m not 100% sure about the LOD modifications, if they where changed. :smiley:
I will try to bump the cache chunk size and see what happens. It might be from my settings.
That option would be awesome, but yea, if it impacts server response and performance, best not to put it in game. :smiley:

Tks for reply guys!

Kirinvar is right.
I noticed the same thing when the target fps setting was added.

So if I drop my target FPS to 60 (I have it at 144), I’ll see an improvement in graphics?

yes, the use of a target FPS is that the game will try to reduce render time of frames to achieve that target FPS and reducing graphic quality/features, iterations and so on is the only way to reduce render time.

1 Like

Best is to just turn it off honestly heh… or max or min or whatever. If it doesnt look good try a different position but its definitely target fps thats messin with ya

The setting is mostly just useful on low-end systems. If you got a killer gaming pc just turn target fps right off.

2 Likes

No wonder I’ve noticed a drop in graphics, I’m just gonna turn it off, my PC can easily carry Boundless just fine. Thanks for that tip!

2 Likes

So, as an update on this subject, indeed, once I removed the FPS limit, and raised the download rate and chunk size, it seems that I can see more detail in the distance.

1 Like