Add a craft-able backpack

It would be great if we could craft a backpack with maybe cloth + something else. The backpack would be basically more storage in your invetory.

5 Likes

There is nothing to say against a backpack but currently i think there is actually enough room in ones inventory because of the smart stacks :D. I don’t thin its that necessary, or if you have a backpack maybe it should just add 4 - 6 slots.

4 Likes

my thinking exactly

I would love more bag space for when I go exploring, by the time you’ve got a variety of tools, weapon, lanterns/torches, beacon, plot remover, plotter, warp conduits, food, bridge, building blocks it’s half your bag space used already.

I do actually manage to fill my bags and have to drop stuff while I’m out, but I think I read through the skills/traits thread and expanding your bag space was one of the thing being looked at as an upgrade.

So I think it’s coming at some point - just through a skill or trait rather than a craftable item.

2 Likes

Bringing back this old topic with a twist. I like to play a Gatherer role and I’m always running out of inventory space while far away from home. Since this game is free to play (after purchase) and I want the devs to have enough money to continue to develop it, I was thinking a backpack would be a great way to monetize without others considering it “pay to win”.
And I’ll admit, I’m not big on spending money. I’ll skip the masks and other stuff. But if I had the option to buy backpacks - well for that I’d pay real money. I was thinking 1 size: A bag with just 3x smart stacks. In the inventory interface there would be a vertical row of 1 to 3 slots just to the right of the right-hand equip area. When purchased, a bag would be added to one of these slots - it wouldn’t exist as an inventory item where you could drag around a mountain of stuff and switch the bags into the slots - unless, maybe a mule skill? Mmm, I digress. For prices I was thinking $2 to $4 dollars per bag. So if a toon had 3 empty slots, they could max out for $6 to $12. I already have 3 toons, so that would be $18 to $36 to outfit them all. And, I’m going to hate myself for saying this, but maybe you make them only $2/ea and they have an expire timer of 2 to 3 months. Now you have a revenue stream. When a full bag expires, as soon as there is a free slot in the toon’s inventory the stacks move there until the bag is empty and can disappear.

Now that I think more about this - Right clicking to open the bag would be a pain. So maybe just skip the backpack idea entirely (unless there will be a graphical component to the toon?) and just add 3 inventory slots per purchase, up to 6 or 9 slots max. in the same area I mentioned to the right of the right-hand equip area,

I think a craftable bigger backpack would be nice.

As you progress through the planet levels, I have now noticed that T6 mobs drop so much stuff and then tap a few plants and rocks and you are full. I do not use brews and only carry the regular tools [no plotters etc] - I try not to smash plants now and rather shovel them up to save space. If we could shovel up mob corpses to save breaking them open then that would be an option as well.

Maybe the solution is that I carry plotters and some storage blocks to extend my gathering session.

Bigger backpack would be nice though :stuck_out_tongue:

Let’s spin this on it’s head. What about a tool belt? Save all that space by storing all of your tools in 1 place

a bagpack that is available via $$$ would actually be horrible pay2win.

if i can explore 4 hours without getting my inventory full so that i dont need to drop items or go back to base for unload, while another person that not invested $$$ needs to do that, than this is not fair → pay2win.

this is a cool idea!
we should only be able to plug smartstacks tools and weapons into this (and bombs)
it could have maybe 4 slots or 6 they could even let the gear be visible on the belt for others on the playermodel :smiley:

but also a backpack would be nice or as it used to be in EA that we can invest skillpoints for more inventory room, where i would favor a craftable item
would be

This is exactly what I was picturing. Craftable toolbelt, maybe 3 tiers. 4/6/8 slots that only hold tools and weapons, maybe potions as well.
Or if we’re gonna do the whole suite
Satchel for normal stuff(solves the bundled items request as well)
Lunchbox for food and drink
Toolbelt for weapons and tools
Bam!

Also, Updating the character model would be nice, but probably way more design work than the novelty is worth
(not saying I wouldn’t love to wear a toolbelt filled with bombs and slingbows like a bandolier across my loincloth, just saying it would impractical to design)

or just get more inventory slots by leveling up…

you start with the one u have now and each level up wil gain u 1 more slot

I would have to argue that it’s not really pay to win.

P2W typically involves a character boost or item that boosts character stats to make things easier and to make you more powerful than others.If you paid $10 for a super-duper MKV slingbow that gave 2k bonus damage, then I would see that as P2W. I would view extra bag space for $ as just QOL for those that have money to burn :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess we all see it different though

WOW has a different slant on bags which sort of matches the belt to hold tools only.

You can have bags specifically to hold certain types of items so for example a gatherer would have an ore bag or a plant bag etc

They are craftable and can only hold specific items to the type of bag. Would mean gatherers could craft plant bags, hunters craft hunting bags. They have extra slots but cannot hold regular normal stuffz You still have your regular bag but the crafted bag will use a slot to hold it.

I WANT A BACKPACK SOOOOOO BAD! …I might kill for this… do you have one? Seriously, real real bad. I don’t care if there are restrictions. @james Is it wrong to offer you a bribe? …I is wrong to offer you a reasonable above the table backer contribution which is not directly related to influencing you guys regarding this item? Wink wink