Add rocks to refined gem recipes?

Instead of looking at ways to add more money to a few people’s shop coffers, we should be focused on making the game more fun to hold onto those casual gamers with lower amounts of play time. Currently, they could make it so bricks needed to be dried by spinning your character in circles three times before firing it. Not four, exactly 3. Most of us that are here would still be here spinning in circles to make our beautiful black and nearly white bricks. Would it be stupid? Yes. But those of us still here would do it for our bricks, because we are committed! (One of us!)

What we need is a way to make Joe and Shirley (who can only play for an hour or so a night after their kids go to bed) feel like they can progress in the game in the time they have to play. We don’t need them to feel like they have to work for a shop owner for four days before they are allowed to have fun for a night. Because at that point it’s better to just grab their friends and spend $7 a month to rent a Minecraft server to scratch the survival builder itch until their next AAA game comes out.

TL:DR If you find ways to get more casual players to feel like its worth playing, your shop problems would mostly fix themselves due to more players without the time to farm hundreds of materials.

6 Likes

I think quite a few people do this. On my travels I’ve seen people do what I do which is put out their excess at 1c per Refined, for example. I doubt you’ll ever seen Decorative that low because of the extra ingredients and step.

Of course we’re using it. How else do we get Refined or Decorative Rock?! I have 25 tables and 4 refineries and 2 of everything else minimum, sometimes more. Because parallel crafting is more efficient. Certain types of people always look for the most efficient path so this is bound to happen. I like that there’s a side benefit to mining rock by passing off the output to my crafter. It makes more of my alts feel useful, same way I pass off other tasks to other characters.

I’d be miserable if that task yielded the same kind of XP torture my soil farmer or, even worse, lumberjack get.

I do agree the rate of cubit gain if someone is dedicated to it is high. That may need something doing to it. I disagree that a few obsessives tweaking XP gain to the max warrants a nerf to everyone else.

Like others have said in the past it’s no small feat to continually run an operation like that. Also, to what end if cubits are tweaked? Perhaps they enjoy avoiding playing the actual game (?!) by sitting 10 alts in a room, then deleting and repeating? I do 10 or so smart stacks of rock every now and again and that’s tedious enough.

I can see the indirect plot gain could be attractive but even then if it’s Prestige War you’re into, how many plots do you really need? You could fill gleam or machined iron from 0 to 256 in a few dozen square plots and own most existing settlements I would imagine. If they tweaked cubit gain somehow then even that wouldn’t matter.

I think more people would buy cubits if there was more to buy, I’d rather more content and equally rewarding playstyles solved this problem.

(But the other ideas in the thread have been good and inspiring. I just take issue with this implication that something wrong is being done.)

1 Like

This is not true though. Just because you don’t need to do something doesn’t mean you don’t do it. I’m completely self sufficient and yet spend hundreds of thousands of coin in other player’s shops.

2 Likes

I have a terrible suggestion… treat 3x3 aoe’s like bombs… in the sense that they kill what they break, but they don’t break seams like bombs do. It would open up the market for off- hand tools, make good forging even harder and make other aoe types more attractive for actual rock gatherers.

I am not a fan of my own imagination here, but just thought I’d put this idea out there…

Well, a lot of people play this game, not just you only.
We all have our own feeling about the game.
I respect your opinion but your suggestion for us is really just a pure nerf.
Or make this game even more annoying by changing current recipe again.
Rock leveling issue i really don’t feel it affect the game a lot.
The reason i bring the forge system to this topic is because this is more serious issue than Rock leveling method.
A lot of people quit because of forge change. A lot of issues are caused by forge change too. Also the current market’s situation, forge system apply huge impact on it as well.
Compare to these, rock leveling method only slightly affect the game, and bring more convenience for players. I don’t say they shouldn’t remove it. But it shouldn’t be now or before they add more contents to the game.
Without this method, the current game lack of contents, and people need to spend more steps to do the same contents which is really annoying.

1 Like

That’s the thing tho, there have been recipe changes and nerfs left and right. Did it solve some of the really big issues this game has? Not really so I am absolutely not surprised that people feel negative about existing recipe changes that will make some things, yet again, more difficult and/or more grindy.
Then add the fact that your main reason is that you want people to buy cubits instead of occasionally tediously shoving oodles of rock in some machines which not only makes the game more grindy (the recipe change) it also makes sure they have less cubits to spend. There are people who have a real life limitation on how much money they can spend on videogames, it might be an idea to let that sink in. Don’t you think I would rather do a few quick clicks and have 1000’s of cubits added to my account if I had the money?

People with not a lot of time but a lot of money can just buy the cubits, people who can’t work with limited funds but lots of time can do grindy stuff like filling those crafting tables with rocks for awhile. If that’s not balanced then what is?

Jealous you don’t have the time and they have more plots/cubits than you? Then put your money where your mouth is and spend money and buy the same amount of cubits, no need to be jealous anymore.

It’s always so easy to come up with things that won’t negatively impact you, it’s much harder to come up with something that does the same for everyone…

And also, your so called ‘warning’, the game needs more content, also needs way more craftable items and we know they are working on that, they can change those recipes that haven’t been released yet to solve this issue, if they even feel it is an issue, because frankly, I don’t. That is probably even easier to implement than changing existing ones and even if that’s not the case, they are just as easy to do am sure with the positive that a new recipe will not give players a negative feeling that a current recipe change would.

So let us indeed think about the dev’s time and about the succes of this game, if there are too many certain mats in the game they are quite capable of adding new recipes that use those instead of upsetting a lot of people with either a lot or some backlash. Implementing newer and better things can pull in players, changing existing things feels like a nerf and could push players away

4 Likes

Fully support adding more materials to crafting patterns!

Rather than adding more materials to existing recipes, give us more useful (and perishable) things to craft!

1 Like

Your attacks have turned personal and I think you should step away from this thread. You do not have even the slightest clue about my motivations even though I’ve stated them in this thread. Thank you for your input.

I’m sorry, but I fail to see any attack, never mind personal.

3 Likes

What attacks? Only seeing a Q&A thoughttrain beeing typed out.
Also i dont see any reason why ppl should care someone has more rock than someone else or have a higher character level. A world is made up for what 99% rock?

1 Like

Mods please close this thread

1 Like

I think people just share the different opinion against yours.
I see nothing wrong here.

Adding the rock to the recipe really won’t solve anything.
The thing you are asking is adding “rocks”
Its not the difficult materials in this game.

Will it increase the “difficulty” and make this game more “grindy” ?
No, it won’t. It also mean’s nothing will really change either.
It juts more “Annoying” for players.

This idea basically just asking players to spent more time to stock rocks.

I can say most experienced players now they don’t even need to use the rocks leveling method to level up their character anymore.

However, if dev choose your idea, now even people who never used rock for leveling, they are forced to stock rocks too.

On the other hand, people who needs rock to leveling they really don’t have to craft gem first.
They can always use rock to level up their character to level 50 first, and then they craft gems.

As result it won’t change anything, but it will make players feel like wth is dev’s thinking ?
How come we need to stock that much rocks if i just want to craft some gem products lol .

Will this idea minus the number of people who use rock to leveling ?
No, it won’t.

Rock is still a Rock, people can just use a low tier aoe tools to grind at low tier planet for tons in just 10 - 20 mines.

Its just a pointless idea, it won’t change anything, but bring more “annoying” to players.
Simply, it just waste everybody’s time for nothing.

1 Like

What attack are you talking about? You’re seeing things that aren’t there, just like you see problems with the game that aren’t there :joy:

They come from a background of highly monitized mobile game background where the only game mechanic is pay or wait. They’re also bad at it as shown by completely flubbing the evaluation of AOE in a previous thread.

Just move on.

1 Like

Statements like these do not add anything to the discussion and they hurt my feelings and make me want to walk away from a toxic community. But I try and remember the good members of the community who encourage me to stay. I’m trying to help the game and if you don’t agree with the approach then let’s talk about alternative approaches and if you don’t agree with the thesis then challenge the thesis or don’t comment in the thread.

Coming in here to call me names or devalue my contributions derails the conversation so that people who want to have it can’t have it. My AOE evaluation is pinned by the modding community and visited regularly. It’s also a constant work in progress and will one day grow into a build calculator that anyone can use to find 1-shot strategies for any planet. It’s hard to feel like that work is rewarding when people who are more interested in hurting my feelings than having a conversation step into my threads.

Yes its not fun if quite some people dislike your suggestion. I had a bad time with it when most people disliked mine about wardens given the option to remove unused beacons. So I gave up on that, as i rather have ppl being happy about how it is. Changes are just hard on people. Especialy if they feel there is no benefit to them.

Okay, the first one you quoted is a misunderstanding, it’s more of a generic you than actually meant to mean you yourself (zoals ‘men’ in Nederlands, je bent NL toch?).

The second of mine you quoted I posted AFTER you accused me of personal attacks and told you you’re seeing things that aren’t there. That I combine that with my own opinion that where you see a problem with this game I do not, well, if that hurts your feelings, I’m sorry, but if you fling accusations around you must not be surprised people react to that.

Now this one tho of yourself it actually trying to be mean. You basically tell me I’m not a good member of the community, and yes, this one does hurt my feelings. So are you a good member of the community if you do the things you accuse others of?

It’s admirable that you’re willing to help the game but the last few suggestions you made came across like you want the devs to keep nerfing things and/or make things just more annoying, more time consuming, etc., etc. which I and many others aren’t much a fan of since that has already been happening.

As for expressing my opinion, well I did, twice in this thread alone, the 2nd after you flung around that certain people keep going against you blabla.

I’ll repeat it. There are ways of changing things without it coming across as nerfs or making things more annoying/time consuming. I mentioned them. You don’t agree, you feel it will take away from the devs time 'cos you think they have to come up with something new to solve this ‘issue’ even tho I stated that they can change recipes that we do not yet know about which most certainly are in the works while we’re discussing this and then you come with a ‘warning’. You have to understand the way you worded that post is what kinda ticked me off, you came across that you think you know better and it most certainly came across as not accepting someone else’s opinion, the very thing you are now also accusing me off.

Why not think of ways to improve the game that are easy to implement but that doesn’t touch existing things?

Where did I (or anyone else?) call you names? And the only mention I made about your contributions is that indeed I feel you want to make the game less fun, more grindy and time consuming than it currently is.

Which is an excellent post and I never said anything to the contrary.

I’m never interested in hurting somone’s feelings, ever! I replied several times on-topic, you started with the generic ‘some people here’, blabla which I felt was also meant for me, that you then get a reply from me which was written in a bit of an angry mood as reaction to you, well, you have to accept that that’s what happens when you behave like that. But nothing in that reply was actually an attack, and yet you reply now with ‘remembering the good people’ obviously not counting me, so who is hurting who’se feelings exactly?

1 Like

Yeah that can be crappy, but one also has to understand that once you fling accusations and warnings around like this OP does that people will reply to that as well. I keep feeling that whenever I reply to these messages my opinion is being dismissed by the topic starter because they think they know better.

I do remember your post tho and people just didn’t seem to fully read what you meant which also seems to be an issue sometimes. Also believe that language can be a slight problem, not everyone here is a native English speaker after all…

Ah well, perhaps I should do with this forum what I’ve done with many in the past, not use it all that often…