After Boundless... I think I'm done with games that

This is a video game in a virtual world. Like any video game, things are temporary. Your stuff and everything you do will only last as long as the servers do. If you play video games to build a lasting legacy, you are being unrealistic.

3 Likes

I vote for Sanctum storage. Love the idea of leaving my blocks and tools there so I can get to them easily. .

Some people think they’d just get a box they can put stuff in and when they switch alts they can just easily equip stuff between characters.

I vote for Kirinvar’s idea:

““Strip machines + storage items from beacons when they expire and put them in some out of universe storage where they can be reclaimed later but only if the beacon expires naturally (player removing the beacon doesn’t count) and the beacon has been fueled for at least 4 weeks (campfires don’t count).
Also the out of universe storage should only be reclaim, not deposit.””

1 Like

So you expect the living memory card the company to pay for you not playing? Nah Bruv. You should definitely be paying to keep your stuff on here. Normal mmos that is just char data sure, keep em free. But in a game where they would have to keep all your beacons and plots of memory? No way. By doing that they would have to pay to open tons of new planets because of all the beacons that are not going poof.

1 Like
  1. Already paid.
  2. Beacons still go poof
  3. I dont think I’ve seen anyone suggest builds be permanent.
1 Like

Here are my two cents, for what they are worth.

If you just don’t come back and your stuff is looted, IMO, that’s on you. Getting four weeks in your beacon is easy.

Maybe remove spark and power requirements for higher tier fuel?

IMO, the best way of keeping this from being an exploit is to a) make it an intentional action and b) put in a delay.

First, If you want to “store” your stuff, you can. Anything processed or created goes “ZZZZZIIIIIIP” into storage. But you need to take down ALL of your beacons, for all your alts, not just one.

Secondly, there is a week delay before you can get access to anything you stored again. You can play earlier than that, but you can’t get access to your old stuff until the time limit expires.

As for looting old beacons and beacons running out, this should stay. It’s part of the game loop and, frankly, it’s fun. Most of the beacons that expire are abandoned anyway.

1 Like

I’m not sure about all the fuel lengths, or aside from GC how far it can go out, but some people have jobs or other responsibilities that can keep them away for more than 4 weeks.
Soilders are deployed for months at a time. People go on mission trips, even corporate jobs can keep people over seas for their companies for months. Some of these examples can be over a year or more.
While I actually like the idea of fueling beacons to clear out those that have abandoned the game, I do believe there should be a system in place to protect the people who cannot get on for “just 5 minutes to refuel.”

16 weeks (4 months) for the top tier advanced beacon fuel (the shadow orb one) I believe.

I do think that if someone wants to leave the game for over 4 months, doesn’t want to pay for GC, and doesn’t want to bother stashing the more valuable items / machines in their characters inventory, then it would be fair to argue that the person probably doesn’t care about the game enough to bother about losing stuff, emergencies aside.

Let’s not forget that one can always give permissions to a trusted friend on their beacons so that the friend can fuel it for them in case of emergencies.

2 Likes

Let me just stop in and say boundless gives you 3 weeks with basic fuel to not have to log back in takes me 3 min to log back in and put fuel on my beacon. Yea I dnt see a problem.

I played ark for a long time I had to log in and fly over all my stuff before 7 days or I would loose it took about 45 min to load and fly around in the game plus o had to feed stuff took a hour just to do that.

So I love boundless 3 min to fuel my beacon I’m sold

Also when a beacon falls it would be cool for a blue meteor to crash into it with all the contents laying there for an hour waiting to be pillaged.

1 Like

Oh there is such a mechanic,its called gleamclub.
If your compamy sends you away from home and not pay enough to buy a. Gleamclub for that time then quit that company

3 Likes

Lol :joy: right

Should beacon contents be saved somehow?

Yes

Should players be able to loot expiring beacons?

No.

Here is what’s going to happen to a majority of players. They’ll end up taking several months to a year off or so while they wait for new content, forget to refuel their beacon since they’re not playing the game so it’s the last thing on their mind. Lose everything. Then lose motivation to play again since they lost everything, especially if someone else now owns all their stuff.

The “solutions” people are offering to prevent this from happening. EG farm for hours to get longer beacon fuel or buy gleam club are not things regular people who are just losing motivation to play are going to do. The game is just going to slip away on them while they have nothing in their inventory and everything in their beacon.

I’d say that your home beacon gets saved and if it’s saved you need to place it before placing a new beacon and the rest of your beacons go poof when the time expires.

Also when you’re playing beacons shouldn’t be differentiated between your characters and you shouldn’t need to run to your beacons to refuel them.

2 Likes

Valuable items should decay slower to give players time to loot the plot.

Also, if anyone is going AFK for a long time I am offering to keep your beacon fueled for 1,000 coins a month. Krollbar’s Beacon Refueling Service :wink:

1 Like

I agree with what you said, and tried to articulate what you said as well as you did, but you hit the head with the hammer perfectly.

Yes players should be able to loot expired beacons and no beacon contents shouldn’t be saved.

If someone is quitting, then they clearly don’t care enough about the stuff they have acquired in the game. I think if someone is going to be absent from the game for a very long period of time then there are far more important things for them to worry about than whether or not pixels in a game are going to be saved that they spend hours gathering up or building.

Just my thoughts on it cause I’ve lost a lot of stuff in this game to world regen cause I spent too much time away from it. I think in the Beta I lost well over 2000 rough gems of each gem. It stings, but I just shrugged it off and got to work on recovering back from the loss.

I am pretty content with what we have right now. So… :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

It’s so easy to fuel beacons, too. If someone is leaving a game for months at a time, I doubt many will be back anyway.

I know I personally keep an eye on my beacons, and I’m a GC member even! If it’s important enough to someone, they won’t let it slip.

Why cant someone take a break from any game without being labeled a quitter, that they dont care, or that they’re not dedicated enough? Not everyone wants to play the same game repeatedly for days/weeks/months straight and breaks inevitably happen.

The biggest joke though is saying that these people dont care. They’re all paying customers. They cared enough to open their wallets/purses.

2 Likes

And all those people have three non-paying options and one paying option to resort to:

• get friends to fuel their beacons
  • use low tier beacon fuel and log once a month to refuel, or use better fuels and log less often
  • stash the things they don’t want to lose in their characters inventory to keep it safe in case fuel runs out

and, of course, the paying option,

• gleam club

They either get to care about their stuff, or to ignore all those options, not both. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: Could we have additional options? Sure, but that doesn’t mean that the existing ones are insufficient.

2 Likes

I have taken days, weeks, and months off from playing this game. I’ve lost stuff because of it. It was my fault. Even by losing stuff I don’t want people’s stuff to be recoverable if they left and their plots were claimed by Wild and stuff was world regenerated.

What I don’t want to see again in this game is the pin cushion effect where you have all these beaconed places that are empty for weeks and months at a time that never get worked on, never see any amount of play from and just take up valuable space on a game world that someone else could use and play around with. That happened in Alpha and Beta and it was incredibly irritating to deal with cause every 100 blocks there was a beacon placed. Beacon fuels did stop that.

We honestly don’t need an in-game method to save people’s belongings because they wanted to take an 8 month vacation from the game to then come back and play like nothing has happened. There are a lot of rippling effects in this game for stuff like that and one of them is the flooding of items into the economy from a player that was on hiatus for long periods of time. Not exactly fair to everyone else that was sticking around and playing the game.

It’s not fair even to the person losing all their stuff outside of character inventory either but that’s why there are beacon fuels and Gleam Club available. Not even going to mention any guilds of players that could look after your stuff while you’re away from the game. The options and solutions are there, don’t need to waste developer time on something that isn’t going to move the game forward in having more content, better balance, better server stability.

I think it makes a little sense to protect your stuff in a creative way inside an actual creative building game without a developer making a feature for that.

3 Likes

Players flooding the market when they come back?

Like one of the first responses said, you already can have 320 SMART STACKS of items saved by just muling up your alts.

Waste developer time?

Do you know how long it would take to implement whatever it is they would implement?

Waste valuable world space?

Again, no one has suggested that builds be permanent.