Airships [And other misc vehicles that seem pointless next to airships]

That can apply when giving the player the ability to craft anything whether it be a flying ship a house or even a statue

1 Like

That is portals. just think of it like this

Warps: 1 time uses to random areas or area determined by token
Portal: Connected to another portal by applying that portals token into the portal frame.

that would be the point of not having it, so you cannot just go wherever you want whenever you want it, you have your house or safezone and is free to venture as far as way as you want from it, but if you die you lose the things you havent saved, is exploration is all you care about it wouldnt be needed to have a mobile home. also there is not much exploring and there arent any danger from just flying over everything that could harm you, being the biggest difference.

on a side note, if they actually did it, although i hope they wont, i think they should be insanely fuel heavy, and when you ran out of fuel your ship would crash and get destroyed, Muhahah!!

1 Like

But there would be exploration, you wouldn’t stay on your ship all the time. There would be the issue of fuel which you’d have to find in order to travel in the ship (and that’s after you collect all the things needed to make it in the first place), if you want to upgrade you’d need to explore/mine/fight, it would just give you a closer base to turn to while you’re exploring and it’ll help you get to new areas to explore since you won’t have to worry about how far you are from your base and whether or not you’ll head in the right direction to even make it back to your base.

1 Like

While Warps CAN have a set exit, they don’t necessarily have to.

I think it would be cool to discover landcapes with your airship and then crash because a titan/protector throws something at your ship :slight_smile: Or take your guild, fly to a titan, land the ship and kill the titan and then use the ship to transport the corpse to your base.

But I understand and get your point (and it’s a good one). Also what do you think about normal ships?

1 Like

I thought it would be a must to have the ship be able to be destroyed or even harvested by other players therefor a need to hide or have a way to protect it would be needed

also i thought it would be cool to have the ability to even make special parts to give better detail and optimal space for the ships would require someone with that skill to make it

my hole flying thing would be an ability that would need shards to achieve and also wouldn’t be able to fly till like tier 3 or 5 which id hope there would be flying monsters then

i would love to fullfill my long life dream of becoming a pirate by sailing the seas in oort online while singing sea shanties. but given the amount of water that can be in the game i think it would be needed, if they made a world with a lot of small islands then it would be needed so you didnt just swim. i dont think the ship should work as a home or a storage, just as means of transportation. that would sail at the same speed as a player would normally be able to run.

just small cool looking ships. nothing fancy like a huge pirate ship.

1 Like

A lot of these points are based on failed methods on other games, or are based on “People would never explore and we’d loose the benefit of exploring on foot.” To be frank, these are very invalid cases.

BTW: I am redacting my agreeing with a point to point based ship travel after thinking about it.

Let me go over the pros and cons to help clear a lot of this up. Mind you, Cons are limitations, not points that make them bad ideas.

Pros:

• Ability to lift off with a few friends and make way to a discovered location or to find a good plot of land to set down on.
  • Ability to carry items off your person on a safe platform to loot more before having to return home.
  • Replaces the agreeably over powered jet pack ability. As opposed to an air ship, you can immediately escape any danger by flying off, however on an airship, you must run back, getting away from the danger, find your ship, then climb aboard, AND sail away before the NPCs chase you onto your own ship.
  • A place someone can watch over a battle field and coordinate their friends on the ground from by guiding them with an eye from the sky.
  • Reaching the higher towers and mountaintop houses.
  • Providing a service to other players by offering a trade of sorts for rides. Also a good way to encourage alliances, or a new dynamic for guild battles.

Cons:

• Speeds would be faster than walking, but slower than swinging/match most speeds of ground mounts.
  • Ship requires both fuel AND air resupplies to sustain altitude and during active flight, these levels decrease. [Leaving a ship docked while you are offline does not drain it].
    -Engine requires manual operation. Example: Requires two engines, one for each side. You have to go back and forth between them to adjust their speeds to go straight/turn, or constantly maintain a steering wheel if you only have one engine.
  • Build is limited to a certain size /block amount per balloon/engines. You must build more balloon addons and engines to make it work again if you make it too big or expand on size. Expanding size ever makes the ship slower due to weight and momentum/inertia.
  • Ships can crash if they drive into walls/mountains or attacked by titans/other NPC Attacks.
  • Ships can be boarded by NPCs that have the chance to jump on, or that can fly.

Now for most of the points that simply say: “So add it because we can/it would be cool?” or “What would be the point with this, this and this?” I personally find these completely invalid. The point of suggestions is to toss something into the pile and discuss their merits to give the developers a better idea of what might fuel the community’s use of the game in the long run. If that means jet packs, then so be it. Or if it means the developers decide to remove all locomotion/vehicles all together, so be it. But simply shooting ideas down due to some misplaced personal bias or vendetta with other games, is not constructive criticism.

I do not believe this would take from the exploration aspect of the game, mining is necessary for so much, so you’re only killing yourself by riding an airship all the time, never touching the ground, or especially avoiding any trips to collect Oort shards that are by the way, a great necessity idea for fuel. If you think it’d take from exploration, then don’t make yourself one…

3 Likes

Wait, so can I actually create a portal gate that will lead ONLY to a specified location? This is essential to an idea of a little settlement I have in mind.

So apparently things that are convenient cannot also be fun
and if you find one thing to be fun (such as flying) nothing else can be fun (such as fighting)
and to answer your question
no that is not flying
would you use a sword if it only ever did 2 damage per swing and even an average cow had 3,879,432 hit points?
would you ride a mount if every 2 blocks it traveled it would have a 85% chance to buck you off and stomp you to death?
no
because those are ridiculous analogies, just like yours :confounded:

and you are wrong, nobody would even play the game at all if it wasn’t fun, and people will stop playing if just getting around detracts enough from that fun
and why is convenience a negative? Especially when one must EARN that convenience through hard work. Doing so produces feelings of accomplishment and pride and having an airship (especially if it is customizable) can act as a physical symbol of that hard work.

3 Likes

Exactly my thoughts. Flying makes some things easier but try to mine with an airship (and it’s also fun)

1 Like

No that wouldnt be fun, but then again it was an argument that you claimed flying to be fun. i never claimed that hitting things an infinite amount of times was fun neither did i ever claim using mounts was fun that is also just convenience. so lets say you get your airship yeah? you will just fly above the head of every single enemy in the game and ‘‘explore,’’ lets say a cave with a ton of enemies in the way, you would normally have to fight them, but you could just land the airship on top of it, dig down, and then ninjaloot the chest inside. without fighting anybody.

if you add flying mount then ground exploration will die out, unless you make it some sort of endgame guild thing, that would be the only case i would agree with it, but personal airships? no thank you.

also it seems i was spot on, you want it purely from convenience, you want a vehicle, which atleast moves at playerspeed and is flying, making it invincible… cause that is ultimately the biggest problem, most of the things that can hurt you will be on the ground so even when using a normal mount you can still get attacked and die, but in an airship? not really.

[quote=“Lilem, post:53, topic:1021”]
Wait, so can I actually create a portal gate that will lead ONLY to a specified location?
[/quote]Yes, you can learn more about the planned portal design Here. Please note that Portals and Warps are two separate rifts, the former being a permanent fixture, the latter being temporary.

I’m still thinking they would be hella cool, but as a flying mount it might be too much. As long as you have to park it and leave it behind to go mining and exploring on foot, I think it can work out. I think there is a lot of confusion between other players on exactly how it should function.

So, in conclusion: Airships = hella cool idea, provided it does not take on the roll of “All Terrain Vehicle” and make any other vehicle pointless. My suggestion of making it point to point was only in attempt address this concern. I understand there are some pretty stalwart opinions on how they should work, but I’m of the opinion that the dev’s should figure all of that out, not us. :wink:

Neat, thanks :smile:

On a side note, I don’t really think flying machines/mounts are a good idea. Someone previosly compared this issue to the one WoW had, and I totally agree. Not only the existence of flying mounts makes the world look smaller (you get around much faster, you don’t encounter anything on the way), it also will nullify one of the main purposes of the game: exploring.

If an Avian race will have the racial ability to glide downwards from a high point, then it’s fine by me, because it’s not really flying. But having a mount that carries you around, avoiding any interaction with the world and players? I personally don’t like that.

1 Like

I weras the one who made the WoW comparison, which is why I feel airships should be a player built version of WoW’s point to point taxi system. Instead of the griffins or wyrvans, we would cruise in lighter than air luxury :wink: Also, Horde has airships going between its major cities, that’s exactly how Oort should do it! FOR THE HORDE!!!

alliance had underground trams. much cooler.

Yeah, I’m the one who said the thing about public transport system too :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like