Al our US Midwest friends that play

After seeing the Saturday thread the other day, I noticed quite a few midwesterners chiming in. Being the weather nut I am, and growing up hurricane filled environment, I like to track a lot across the country.

Today looks nasty as hell. my son and I watched a system drop 3 twisters In one go and they say it’s going to be like that all day. Hope you all stay safe. There’s a few things I miss about the southeast and Midwest, but these weather patterns are not one of them, even if storm chasing is an adrenaline junkies favorite thing.

3 Likes

Rainy weather in Arizona today. I’ve never seen a tornado here but we do get some crazy microbursts of the type they’re now calling a “reverse tornado” apparently.

My friend just flew into dallas-ft. worth area last night for a week’s vacation though. So here’s to hoping the real trouble stays north of him.

Growing up in Missouri and Oklahoma twisters were pretty common. Sometimes things got pretty scary.

1 Like

Saw those tornadoes near Crescent, OK earlier, quite an impressive hook echo on the radar with that, scary stuff. :frowning: Hope everyone here is ok.

I also love to follow the weather and track storms… I follow several meteorologists, always was fascinated by this stuff, would watch The Weather Channel a lot as a kid. These days, where I live, I’m particularly interested in snow chances (good, as it is fairly uncommon here, enough to be a treat) and flood risk (very bad, living on a river!). Got a bad feeling about this hurricane season, see the Gulf is already pushing 90 in a few spots, temps early on were running high, now a heat wave coming to add more fuel to the fire… I used to live in FL, so obviously a big deal there, but even now, here in the NC mountains, just as worried about them as the remnants can come up and flood us.

Lived in the northwest Florida panhandle long enough to go through 12 named storms. Ivan was the last one for me, to the point I decided we were leaving the state as soon as we could. Few years later we ended up in Washington state and I’m so happy about it.

The way Michael strengthened last year was reminiscent of Opal back in the 90s except Opal weakened substantially immediately after its strengthening phase. It’s only going to get uglier down there as climate change gets worse. Before I left we’d already lost about 13 foot of coast line over the course of a decade. That doesn’t sound like a lot but go out to ones yard and measure 13 feet and imagine it being water there where it was once land.

That’s the weird thing about hurricane seasons, they tend to go in 10-13 year lulls and when they activate again they’re stronger in all ways (intensity, size, speed, damage) mid 90s mid/late 00s and now the ‘17-19 seasons look to be pretty record setting.

Wife grew up in Charlotte so the first few times after we got married we would evacuate up there from Florida. Didn’t take but twice and we realized it made no sense because the storms damn near followed us so we just started riding them out and that sucks with children. During Ivan there was no power for weeks and Michael , hell Elgin Air Force base is still not fully functional.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, it is just going to get worse. :frowning: Probably much worse, and maybe faster than expected. Can even see the changes here in the mountains, with this horribly wet pattern the last year… starting to regret buying a place on the river, beautiful as it is.

The '04 season was the really bad one for us, we were in a town about a half hour west of Daytona, Frances and Jeanne were particularly bad. Out of power for weeks and weeks. House came through ok at least. Had to finally go live in a hotel for a bit though, just became too much. What kept me sane without the power was, books of course, but I also had one of the older GBAs, the battery powered ones, with an Afterburner backlight installed on it. Since we did stockpile batteries, I at least had some entertainment!

With Michael, did you watch that video of Brett Adair, who drove right into it near Mexico Beach? I watched it live, I thought I was going to watch that guy die on camera! :open_mouth: I’m surprised the camera kept going as long as it did.

I worry with my parents both still down near Tampa, neither is right near the coast, but still…

1 Like

That dude was a damned moron! My wife was actually doing her preceptorship and a pediatric clinic in Panama City for 2 yrs so we made a lot of good friends between there and Mexico beach. It was absolutely insane. Some had their houses escape unscathed while others had Ford F-250s pushed in to their living rooms and kitchen from the tidal surge and another one had a couple of boats parked on top of their roof.

People that haven’t been through that can’t even begin to imagine what it’s like. It sounds horrific but there it’s just a way of life. Comes a point where you’ve got to realize it’s not safe, but not everyone can afford to just up and leave.

1 Like

See on my Twitter feed about the absolutely crazy temps in parts of Europe today - hottest ever in some places it looks like. Hope our Boundless dev team and other folks here over there aren’t melting into puddles today, yikes! :frowning: That is downright dangerous for folks not prepared… but this is the the way our future is headed… ugh…

Well, for our storm trackers here, looking more like Dorian could be a real issue for some folks - hope nobody here winds up in the path! :frowning: If we were still in DeLand, I’d be sweating bullets right now, if the current track holds (though it is almost sure to shift a good bit) that area of the state may see some of the worst. Plus, it could cross the state and go out into the Gulf, make landfall again.

Eye looks pretty impressive already… :open_mouth:

I live in Wichita and we have so many tornado warnings that people barely take notice. I used to play a ton of golf and I played at this course with a hotel next to it. The tornado sirens would go off and all the people from out of town would be rushing back to the hotel on their golf carts while the locals just kept playing. nuts lol

Hope the Boundless playerbase that was affected by Dorian stayed safe

1 Like

caddy

1 Like

hahaha great movie

1 Like

Hehe, yeah, one of my favorites to quote. :laughing: I can’t tell you how many times in the main forum someone is asking for something and I REALLY want to post Smails “You’ll get nothing and like it!!” but that might tend to annoy some folks… :joy:

1 Like

:rofl:
you’re right…the younger ones would have no idea where the phrase comes from and get mad

1 Like