All the GOOD~!

I fell into the trap that I always try and avoid: Focusing on Feedback without the Positive. I have made several posts that are feedback/suggestion driven but have not noted the MANY awesome things within the game! Ugh, not cool.

So as a new player here are things that blew me away!

1. Grappling Hook - I built this item and have been having a blast! My favorite moment using the grappling hook (aside from random swinging and jumping for fun) would be when I aggro’d two of the Wildstock accidentally (the BIG ones) and was going to be killed. They were charging at me from two sides, I had no where to run! I was in the wild! A quick panic, then I threw my grapple up into the tree above me and narrowly got out of range. It was awesome and a lot of fun :slight_smile:

2. Caving - The caves are fun and dangerous. I had a great time jumping around and swinging to different ledges with my torch in hand. I actually got lost! I don’t usually get lost in caves/structures, I can usually find my way back out. However, because I was having so much fun searching around and trying to find cool stuff, I didn’t bother keeping track of how to get back out. Caves are fun!

3. The Wildstock - They are so pretty! I love the big ones with the cool antlers :slight_smile: I want to be their friend …even though they currently trample me haha!

4. Portals - I don’t usually like fast travel options. I feel like they ruin games! Why warp around when you can walk and enjoy the scenery? OHhh, but Portals changed my mind. They are cool looking and functional. Find a portal placed by a player is a cool discovery and looks like a rift in time! I love encountering them through the world and wondering where they will send me off too…and if I will be able to make it back! haha

5. Colors - I know that more are coming (which is exciting) but I love being able to build things of different colors (like shelves) based on the material used! I am excited for more, but enjoying and loving the feature of my multicolor’d shelves :smiley:

And of course, the builds :slight_smile: While that is not a dev feature, the builds that the players have put down in the game are awesome. I had so much fun discovering Pixel Town and the other Markets :slight_smile: Sooo much inspiration!

Have a great Monday!! cheer

15 Likes

Thanks for the comments - they’re really appreciated.

We read all the comments, feedback, suggestions and criticism posted to the forum (and Steam forums) good and bad. We don’t shy away from any of it. We’re constantly trying to understand complaints and workout how best to resolve them. But as you can imagine this is hard work! So it’s refreshing every now and again to get a little positive feedback - it helps replenish our dev-SP!!

14 Likes

Tagris,

This is an excellent thread because it’s very easy to hop into a game and think of ways to improve it without considering the things that make it unique and brilliant! I would like to follow up on your comments to add some things I love so far as well!

I purchased the game 2 days ago and have 20 hours logged already :confused: (thank goodness for weekends) Very few games can hold my interest anymore, I have 400+ Steam games and can hardly get into one for more than a couple hours so this is something new to me.

I love all the ways that Boundless is DIFFERENT than any game I have ever played

1. Leveling: The leveling system is unlike anything I have ever experienced. I LOVE the idea that even your basic movements like sprinting and creeping are things that must be learned. If you want to be a engineer in real life you are going to invest all of your time (experience) into learning how to create things. You spend all your time on this, and you are probably not going to be very good at martial arts because that’s not what you are spending your time learning. The responsibility of assigning stat points has never weighed so heavily on me. 10/10

2. Graphics: Obviously beautiful!! One thing that amazes me is the complexity of the game fitting into such a small game size. The game is so incredibly optimized that it wastes no processing speed on anything unnecessary. Maybe these devs could take a crack at Windows 10 :smiley:

3. Community: The low player count is perhaps my favorite part of the game. This seems strange… but I realized it yesterday. League of legends is known for having the saltiest community known to mankind. Why? I believe this is because with 27 Million active daily players there is no need to make friends because you will likely rarely if ever play with the same players again. In this game however, there is so many ways you can help each other. When you see someone, it’s exciting. It’s like I’m in an immersive VR solo experience and it’s a shock when I see someone else in my own virtual hideaway. All my encounters thus far have been a delight. 10/10

4. Grappling Hook: What Tagris said. Brilliant

5. Portals: Couldn’t say it better myself

6. Potential: Not every game is “set up” for the future. Some games seem “finished” and aren’t a good platform for future changes. Boundless however seems like an excellent foundation for anything the devs could possibly add. I can’t explain how I feel but I just feel like every little addition will only enhance the flavor of an already polished game.

7. Developers: I mean come on, how cool is it that the developers are this active and involved in the game and forums?! Very rare, and doubtlessly very appreciated.

8. Social: Never seen anything like this. You can’t make friends without finding them first? At first this was frustrating. Especially since my brother and I started at the same time on different servers (oops) But the journey to find each other (to find any specific person for that matter) is a huge part of the game. 10/10

There are many more things, perhaps I will post again later.

I encourage others to follow Tagris in letting the Devs know the things they did RIGHT. This information is as valuable or more valuable than suggestions because it helps them see which aspects of the current game are most appreciated. These aspects can be molded INTO the suggestions rather than throwing in random suggestions and then shaping them into the game we love.

TLDR: 11/10

9 Likes

oh boy here comes my opinion…

two years ago I looked at this game and already wanted to back it. At that time I didn’t have a pc, just a ps4. they politely replied and said early access was only for pc. Two years went by and I came across a lot of money (yeah, a lot). I actually forgot what the name of this game was so I spent 2 hours (yes 2 hours) looking for the game before I finally remembered the email I sent the previous question about early access to. So I started out as a Wayfarer and now I’m a Master level backer 2 months in. (maybe just maybe ill get the level 8 backer status.)

1. my first opinion, I believe the game should be easier to find, maybe they need to do another sneak peek of the game or advertise, I literally spent forever trying to remember what it was called and wasn’t even sure what to google. maybe it is easy to find but still, SHOW THIS BEAUTIFUL GAME OFF MORE.

2. Give the playstation users early access, I believe this game will take off, even if its 6 months or longer away from done. also let steam users know that they can heavily back the game for more cosmetics.

3. The ideas and friendliness of the community is almost over-powering. its amazing. most communities gang up on each other and are not friendly at all. You can ask any question on this forum and get a rapid nice response, even from the devs. This being said make sure everyone can see everything in the current and past updates. there is so much cool stuff in there that even I miss. (such as future items, cosmetics)

4. This game has something new around every corner. Its not just the same thing over and over. Every time I want to build a structure/base, I find a new spot where I want to build one. I just never have enough time or plots. You could give me a million plots and id still not have enough.

5. The creativity in this game is over the top. I spend hours in this game just creeping in other peoples cool houses/structures just to see whats inside. I also get a lot of ideas that way. DEVS, KEEP THE NEW COLORS/BLOCKS COMING. you can never run out of ideas with variety. The devs also upload new things coming to the game weekly, which is awesome. You can literally see their progress day by day.

6. Anyone else climb up mountains just to jump off into the water below? I cant tell you how many stacks of tools ive massacred just to jump off something really high and TRY to make it safely into the water below.

7. This game literally made me quit playing first person shooter altogether, I am probably one of the top ten halo fans, ive got altleast $15,000 worth of halo/bungie/343 collectibles and art. There has been no game to make me stray away from those games, except BOUNDLESS. That in my opinion is the best feat a game has ever accomplished.

8. being able to show off your own builds and make your own towns makes this game worth more than any other sandbox game in my opinion, that and all the reasons above.

CHANGES I BELIEVE NEED ADDED OR MADE

A backpack for storage.
the backpack has to be held by one hand.
It can hold 9 (different) items like a smart stack. but does take 1 inventory slot.
you can set it down as storage. (good for early in the game, you can make it with cloth)

OTHER ITEM IDEAS

1. ladder or rope (to climb)

2. a key pad or keys for doors or storage. (that way certain people can get into things others cant)

3. a chest (for storage)

4. blinking blocks, letter blocks, dice, different face blocks, and Oort language blocks

5. B a l l s to kick around on the map (will make for fun games later, like soccer, etc)

6. massive plotter (place down more than one plot at a time)

GAME IDEAS

A. I know water and lava blocks make people unhappy sometimes but they can make some awesome builds. Grief<Happiness

B .the idea of being able to turn off column reserving would make a lot of people happy. this would be a game changer

C. Instead of there being so much experience between levels, make more levels. go to 120 or something with less experience between. also would be nice to get a random or certain free item for each level.
for instance.

level 1-2. you get a free iron hammer
but
level 49-50. you get a titanium hammer

This idea will keep people on the game longer trying to get a free item and pushing them to level. I’m not saying give a hammer each time either, just an example.

D. fishing. fishing would open a lot of doors. you could have scale blocks for builds (like reptile scales) and a new kind of food to eat.

E. More actual waterfalls in the game, waterfalls that drop a long distance, would help make greater builds also.

F. Cave systems that go through mountains. (right now a lot of the caves are at ground level or in the ground) put some caves high up instead of all down low.

I have more ideas but I think these will help

MY BIGGEST IDEA FOR THE GAME IS FOR TOYS IN THE GAME, AND FRIENDLY GAMES YOU CAN FIND THE LINK FOR THE POST HERE

5 Likes

Ooooh I like this thread! Here are a bunch of the little details I love about this game (as opposed to the broader gameplay, I mean, which is equally amazing but I think has been stated above already):

1. Cuttletrunks! Everything about them is the perfect combo of hilarious and weird. Like, their floating-around animation, which is somewhere between a prancing horse and a person doing noodle-fingers. I love hiding in a mountainside cave and then watching them noodle around trying to find me. Oh and that HONK noise! I love how it’s inflected with shades of emotion, so you can tell when they’re alarmed/affronted/quizzical. My compliments to the cuttle-chef. :heart_eyes:

2. Ice Slipperiness Ok, storytime! I started playing “for real” like the day before all the wildstock in the universe decided they hated us. So, Day One, I log in and do the “kill 10 wildstock” objective no problem. Day Two, THE ENTIRE SPECIES IS OUT FOR REVENGE :open_mouth: This was on Berlyn, on an icy plain amidst icy, cave-y mountains. I got one-shot a bunch before I caught on and started running away to shoot them from afar…so now here’s me, there’s this FURIOUS blue wildstock, and here we are on an ice rink, both of us running in all directions and sliding uncontrollably everywhere while trying to avoid all the caves and Serpens-es :laughing: Good times. And now that HROO! sound that the lower-level wildstock make reliably makes me freak out. :scream: WHERE WHERE KILL IT AAAAH

3. Multi-block-spanning textures I don’t know the technical term for this, sorry. But the single thing that kept me from ever playing Minecraft was the way that tiling of identical squares makes everything look weirdly unnatural. It was just…ugly. Here, by contrast - the “top” face of metamorphic rock, with the swirlies. I made a floor of raw meta rock, all aligned like that, and it was the prettiest thing. :heart: @jesshyland if you made those, you’re my hero. (If you didn’t you can still be my hero but you’ll have to share it with whoever did)

4. Hand-specific item selection wheels nuff said

5. That lighting on Munteen and other worlds that gives grey/metallic things a purple aura it’s pretty! …and, in general, having worlds with crazy color schemes is so much fun.

6. Pink UnicornCat I mean all the concept-ed new customizations and races are awesome and all but I don’t know how I can ever abandon Pink UnicornCat :heart_eyes:

8 Likes