All The Meteors!

Meteors are a lot of fun. Here’s what I love about them:

• They dynamically appear as you’re exploring
  • They temporarily alter the terrain when they impact
  • They give one-of-a-kind rewards

As we’ve seen with the winter event, it’s possible to add other types of meteors to the game. In this thread I want to suggest adding even more meteors to the game permanently, as well as a novel way of summoning them so that they don’t dilute the monster-filled meteors.

First, here’s some new meteor ideas to demonstrate what else meteors are capable of. These can be permanently available, part of limited time events, or anywhere in between.

Lush Meteor
Upon impact with the ground, causes flora to sprout in a large radius. An ancient lush meteor might cause a gigantic ancient tree to sprout out of the ground. This would be great on planets like Houchus where it’s not possible to get ancient trunks. An earthy lush meteor might cause a glut of mushrooms to spawn. all over the area.

Satellite??
Is this a meteor? Oortian debris in space? Whatever it is, it’s full of ancient tech. You might have to fight off its defense system first. Buried inside you’ll find some one-of-a-kind technology. Maybe it’s 1 piece of a machine in a color you can’t get any other way. Get 4 of them to complete the machine and show off! Maybe it’s a new kind of coil that attaches to furnaces. Or a one-time use coil that lets you ignore power to make 1 recipe. Maybe it’s spark links in colors other than blue. Whatever it is, this is the only way to get it.

Spear Meteor
These meteors are so pointy that when they collide with the ground, they create a huge tunnel leading deep underground. They then shatter, creating makeshift tunnels underground. Great for players who don’t have AoE tools yet but want to explore a lot of underground surface quickly.

These broad categories scratch the surface of what meteors are capable of. Now, how do we summon them? It would stink to have the existing meteors diluted since we need them for Oortstone. And it would also not be great to have meteors constantly crashing into the planet. So we need an opt-in system.

One idea is a new Gravity Augment for the totem. When you see one of these meteors passing in the sky you can shoot it with the gravity augment. That will cause the meteor to crash in a nearby region.

Share your thoughts, as well as more meteor ideas.

12 Likes

I like the basics here.

My suggestion would be this, have the unique meteors only fall within four one-hour segments throughout the day (to account for time zones.) Not only would the remaining 20 hours be for oort farming, but those four hours every day would become huge community hunting events.

I like your meteor types as well.

Other ideas:

The skull of a giant beast crashes…Fossil meteor - Drops fossils and maybe tallow and hide (now that everyone needs tons of them for the new blocks)

Meteor of Ore…Large amounts of high level ore

Gem Meteor…As above, but with gems.

Also, during those hours, you could have meteors on T1-2 worlds as well. Critters are scaled down, but so are the rewards. 50-stacks of random color blocks, low level tech and fossils, tallow and hide, various leaves. Maybe even a drop of some mid-teir items like Waxy yams. Or some low level gear, like copper and Iron, but with baby forging on them, like light radius or 4-meter gather.

1 Like

Rift meteor could create a gigantic rift in the ground on impact.

1 Like

+100 these ideas!

I can see it now.
Meteor hits the ground land around it turns to ash fire and lava need atmosphere protection just to get close to it. Portals open all around it releasing monsters from the monster realm
Destroy the meteor in the center use those portal blocks to open a portal to the boss realm. Wearing my full suit of armor holding my trusty sword.

3 Likes

Yeah, meteors in the sky and gravity augments. It would be pretty awesome to drag meteors out of the sky like that. There could even be less natural meteor strikes that way.