All your emoji are belong to us

Trolls are going to troll. Players will build things you don’t like. Get over it.

Some of these emojis will look nice on signs for shops. Some of the symbols will be able to add new shapes to the game. We can have a perfect circle on our floors now. The different signs have different textures.

Just because we are getting these now doesn’t mean we won’t get more that are Boundless themed in the future. Those will be a lot more work.

7 Likes

Why…well because people can. Remember the build on gellis behind the market. Imagine if he could have just made an emoji the size of that right behind you.

I can see people truly ruining the vibe of a city with their tastes. At the moment an ugly building is one thing but the possibility of a gleam tower covered in ugly ass emojis is now very real.

Honestly bring on rental planets lol. My only hope is they end up the same as LED blocks. Everywhere for a few weeks, then the sheer ugliness becomes apparent and they all disappear

2 Likes

How does a wood decorative block have the same negative affect as directly as a sign? How did adding filigree have a bad affect? If you argue that a player can shape them into something offensive then that is against the CoC. If they are used to wall in another player, then that again is against the CoC. If the argument is that iron or wood might not fit a theme, maybe that is true. But an emoji can be used to imply a message or statement just like a sign. A wood block is just a wood block, in and of itself, it communicates no message or meaning.

2 Likes

Thankfully signs don’t render from afar so I think that will help as well.

And indeed I think it will be OK after a while

2 Likes

I’m in two minds. I love the possibilities this brings… but I’m deinitely worried it’s going to take away from the immersion of the game for me. Giant smiley faces and such just don’t seem fitting… I’d have preferred, as someone else said if things like the cars, guns etc that we don’t have in game weren’t on there too.

BUT as Aenea says the rendering distance on signs means we probably won’t see our neighbours giant smiley face from our base… but we shall see!

Also, I agree that this is gonna bring a lot of possibilities, even just with the simple shapes and such…

Wait and see I guess!

They’re not really my thing either. A little bit too garish and ill-fitting my tastes.

That being said, I don’t particularly begrudge their addition. At this point, I’m basically just waiting for privately owned planets. When they come I can just choose not to use these emojis (even better if there’s a setting to outright disable them for that specific world).

I’ll only have to deal with them if I visit public worlds, and typically I already go to other hubs with the expectation of being visually assaulted anyhow…

I thought Vurtadelic was joking, but there actually is a middle-finger emoji in the list… o_o

This is so going to change the landscape of the game. I’m actually starting to be afraid of the things I’ll see while visiting other places. We already have people who tread the CoC line, making giant walls of lava that go to sky-limit, so that you can see them from miles away. Now we’ll start seeing people making stuff like “the poop castle” with poop emojis everywhere. That’s going to work-out well.

Who cares, right? Just report that stuff, right?
We’ll see how much the devs will enjoy situations like that.

Sure, a lot will certainly be useful, but IMHO, most have no place within the Boundless universe, as they refer to real-life stuff.

Really thinking this shouldn’t make it to Live as it is. The devs should work on an actual Wonderstruck-made list of Boundless-emojis, with the compass logos, the glyphs logos, the Oort letters.
Or at the very least, refine that list and remove the stuff that’s doesn’t fit at all.

But that’s just my opinion.

4 Likes

Makes me sad this game is on xbox, on xbox you just move over to a new tab using the trigger and it just shows you the list of emojis

not sure how this will work in game but you can hit windows key + ; and get image

to enter emojis, otherwise you need to look up the alt codes and hold down the alt key + number on the keypad and release the alt key to enter an emoji like alt + 0153 = ™

Any chance that we could have some custom emojis approved to appear in game?
Asking cause I think the big guilds or settlements might want their glyphs or some sign to represent their guilds/towns

7 Likes

OR, maybe Wonderstruck could work with @Stretchious to add something similar to what he made on BoundlessCrafting for the guild-glyph generator!
That would be awesome.

4 Likes

Well that could be reported right? You just said that the item by itself is not bad but people can turn it into something bad.

We already had sings and if you got creative could do some ASCII art and imply whatever the hell you wanted.

1 Like

I do have an issue with that line of thinking, mostly because (last I checked) Boundless doesn’t actually have someone who’s job is to clean-up messes and drama. It’s the devs who have to spend their precious time doing that.
So giving more ways for trolls to troll and being like “eh, just report them” without thinking of who has to deal with the reports, do you see how that might be problematic?

But hey, maybe I’m wrong.
Maybe everybody will be all nice-nice and we’ll never see anyone dare put-up a poop or skull emoji next to a religious emoji.
Right?

RIGHT?

Yes I know but again if people want to troll they can do it nothing stop them ( And you my friend sadly know that by experience)

Emojis are not creating the trolls.

2 Likes

You can report what is offensive or trolling sure. But if they put out a flag that happens to be a country that a player may have had a bad experience with or maybe their country is at war with them , is that offensive? Is that trolling? If I put a sad face next to a mall. is it trolling? If I put a gun or knife sign out near someone that may have experienced violence or is anti-gun, is that trolling? I may have no idea what the person seeing the sign equates the meaning of the emoji. It could be purely accidental. But what I do know is if players are asked to start removing their emoji’s we are going to get all the free speech arguments again.

Is it worth the time the developers will have to spend to determine player motivation instead of working to improve the game?

1 Like

I’m going to post this as a reply to OP but this goes for everyone.

1 Like

Oh yeah. That would work well to solve a sign-with-emoji-related issue. “Caaaaalm down, it’s just an emoji, it can’t hurt you.”. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

As I said in the other post, I can’t believe we are having a discussion like this one thanks to some emojis.

2 Likes

Given how controversial (and in the context of a game, totally unnecessary) religious symbols are, I was pretty surprised to see the Roman Cross, Star of David, Star and Crescent etc in the emoji list at all.

They just added the regular emoji list :star_of_david: you have those in the forum, in your phone and everywhere

1 Like

Sure. I just meant that it was a surprise they didn’t go over the list a little and take out things that are either frequently used to be offensive (middle_finger), or ones that are more likely to cause drama, such as religious symbols.