Allow me to introduce myself

Hi Everyone,

My name is Luke and I’ve just joined the team at Wonderstruck to work as the new Game Designer on Boundless.

I’m really excited to be a part of the team because I’ve been following Boundless since it was released on Early Access under a different name back in 2014, and I am delighted that I have the opportunity to work on not only a great game but with a great team too.

I’ve been making games for a few years now so I thought it would be a good idea to give you all a brief look into my background. I started working in games for EA in Guildford as a QA tester on Bulletstorm, Battlefield 3, Crysis 2 and a few other titles before I went on to work for Criterion Games as a Game Designer on Need for Speed: Most Wanted and Need for Speed: Rivals. I then moved onto a company in Kent called Dovetail Games, where I spent the last two years working as the sole Game Designer on Euro Fishing and the next version of Train Simulator.

I’ve been very fortunate in my career so far and I have thoroughly enjoyed working on a variety different games and genres. Now I am excited to have joined Wonderstruck and I am looking forward to working on Boundless and being a member of this community.

As Boundless is being developed in a very open and public way I look forward to browsing the forums, hearing your ideas and collaborating with you to bring those ideas to life.

Finally because I am a Game Designer, I always get asked what are my favourite games, and it’s always a tough one to answer because there are way too many to mention and it changes on a daily basis. But if I had to pick 3 games right now, I would pick Metal Gear Solid (PSX), Shadows of the Colossus (PS2), and most recently Witcher 3 (PC).

Have fun everyone and thanks for reading! :slight_smile:

Luke.
@herbertsworld

35 Likes

Hey Luke!

Congratulations on the new role and welcome to the forums! Look forward to seeing what additional magic and ideas you bring to an already fantastic game!

1 Like

Welcome to the team, Luke. I look forward to your future works!

Also, and this is vastly important, which is best: Mystic, Valor, or Instinct?
Follow up question, why Mystic?

4 Likes

Hullo fresh meat- I mean Luke.
Welcome to the team and community!
does this mean your going to be giving us new lovely leaks for us to enjoy?
Also they’re making some witcher 3 gwent as a stand alone game. your thoughts on that?

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome Havok40k.

Oh that was a tough choice but I chose Instinct because:

1. Yellow was my favourite version
  2. Pikachu
  3. The Simpsons
  4. Everyone was going Mystic or Valor so thought I’d join the minority

Maybe you can answer why Mystic because I am curious? :yum:

2 Likes

Thank you Stretchious. Right now I am just settling into the team and absorbing as much information from the team and the community as I can. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there Elenwyd! Thanks for the welcome. :blush:

I am sure there will be some juicy details from me about Boundless at some point in near the future. Let’s see what Ollie thinks. :wink:

I really enjoyed playing Gwent as a side mini-game but like Triple Triad from another popular series, I am OK to miss the standalone version but I am certainly happy it exists.

1 Like

Welcome, Luke! Looking forward to the design magic you’ll be cooking up for us! :smiley:

1 Like

I chose Mystic, now here where i live, we started playing the game before it even came out here (Norway) so i guess you can call it ‘‘Preview’’ :smiley:

Here are some reasons why i chose mystic.

I like Blue
I found Blanche hot.
I like her jacket :smiley:
Articuno looks awesome! :smiley:
and…

that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A pleasure to meet you sir, I am G-sage. Excited to see what you bring to boundless, I hope you do well.

1 Like

Welcome to the boundless team! I’m looking forward to seeing what content you release and playing with you in game. Btw team instinct ftw!

1 Like

Hi there SadSoup and thanks for the welcome. Hopefully I’ll be able to explore a world with you one day. :slight_smile:

Thanks G-Sage. :blush:
As you probably guessed I am excited too.

1 Like

Welcome mate i hope you will like it here and that you will feel appreciated by us

2 Likes

I’m not sure that is a positive thing to say :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But welcome nonetheless^^

Also about PoGo. Blue here as well. Just because Knowledge is everything^^
What others choose should be secondary for your choice but that’s just my opinion^^

1 Like

Well, better Instinct than Valor… I guess you can stick around!

Silly joking aside, I look forward to seeing your future work! I’m sure you know @ben left some large shoes to fill both as a game designer and as a well liked member of this community, but based on your listed credentials I anticipate you will do wonderfully!

Now, as for a real question… now that I’m sure you have had a chance to take a look at where Ben left off, what features do you anticipate starting work on first, and is there a feature you particularly look forward to working on?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi there KuroKuma! Those games are like marmite. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Personally it was a great experience for me. I managed to work in a AAA environment and in a massive development team with studios all over the world. I learnt what it was like to work in that environment and how to deal or not to deal with a lot of chiefs pulling the game in different directions.

It is a totally different atmosphere working on a project with a smaller team and with everyone keen to make something special. :grinning:

3 Likes

I’d say they’re more like ice tea but the lable says coke^^
but yea surely not bad games if you like the burnout series^^

1 Like

Definitely. I didn’t get the chance to meet Ben but I am sure I will get that opportunity at some point in the future. The industry really is that small and I am sure our paths will cross. :smile:

I hope I can fill at least one of those shoes. I can see Ben was at the core of a lot of things here and really helpful to everyone on the forums so I’ll do my best.

It is too early to tell at the moment what I’ll be tackling first. This week has been around getting myself up and running, meeting the team and getting a feel for where the game is at and where it needs to be. I’m making notes as I go and I have a few things I would like to tackle sooner rather than later, but it will be up to Ollie and the team to decide what we do next.

Lastly, never put silly jokes aside. :yum:

3 Likes

10/10. Good hire, @james :sunglasses:

8 Likes