Another day another question, where is the top of my tower?

I built a 7 x 7 tower approx 25 blocks high, made out of stone and wall pieces so a lot of mining and crafting went in before I even started building.

I log in today and the top 20 layers of blocks are gone!!!

I guess this is a regen bug? because on the ground floor of the tower was my beacon which still has plenty of fuel

now I’m worried about my crafting area with all my machines as that is to the side of my tower where it was built into a mountain, is that likely to be regened as well?

Although I recall a task with a plot marker? or similar, thought that was to expand out my claimed area to stop others building near me??

Edit to add: My mineshaft to the bottom of the world is gone. I clearly did not understand the concept of the plot things, I thought they extended from bottom of world to the sky. Obviously not, so a griefer could build a floor under my base to prevent me from mining?

2 Likes

they could, but it’d regen as well. Whilst the plots are on a 3d grid, you are not allowed to claim any plot above or below another persons claimed plot. so the plot “reserves” the whole column, though only the plots themselves are protected from others and regeneration

5 Likes

Hey there @Jzilla, welcome to the forums!

The tutorial system is still underway, but in the meanwhile you’re in the right place;

The first thing to note is that Plots are on an 8 x 8 x 8 cuboid grid. When you place your beacon you basically claim 8 blocks in width, height and length.

To expand your claimed area after your Beacon (not Campfire) has been placed you’ll need to create a Beacon Plotter at your Crafting Table, with 1 Timber, and 1 Stone (not rock);

There’s also a Beacon Plot Remove, which speaks for itself. It removes plots where-as the Beacon Plotter adds them. One you have a Plotter in your hand, you’ll see all the claims of yours as other peoples in the area - you’ll also be able to add to your claimed area, like so;

Note that you cannot plot above or below someone else.

There are other ways to find out if where you’re placing your next block is plotted or not. When you have said block in your hand, you’ll see the area you wish to place it highlighted in either green, red or yellow;

• Green - The block will be placed within a claimed area (either belonging to you, or another persons beacon you have access to)

• Red - The block cannot be placed here, either due to being obstructed, or because it is in another players claim area you do not have access to.

• Yellow - The block will be placed in an unbeaconed area, and will be fair game for anyone else to take. Blocks placed in unbeaconed land will also degenerate after several hours of inactivity in that area.

Finally you can also see what is claimed by tapping it with a tool (I suggest hitting things with a totem, as it won’t cost you any tool durability);

I hope that helped. If you already knew all this then hopefully it’ll still be helpful to other players.

10 Likes

thanks guys, great help!! I understand now.

I managed to plot a few out tonight, they seem awfully small, I guess that means you need a lot of plots to protect anything of a decent size, although i have got about 30 to use seems it would make things easier for players if they were bigger but you got less of them.

I can see two of my walls are actually outside the plot of the beacon, it’s not quite centered, and now that its considerably shorter I think I will move it over rather than have to use 4 plots to cover it

have to say these are some of the friendliest and helpful forums I have seen! Thanks again for such detailed help.

Cheers

9 Likes

its better with small plots i think so roads dont need much plotting
and you can take away not used plots above builds and reuse them elsewere

while you build hold the plotter so you see where the lines are of the borders