Anti-motion sickness circle request

Hi!

Both me and my girlfriend got into boundless recently, however, we both have motion sickness from it (we get it from most first person games). Luckily, there’s a (weird) solution!

The game Viscera Cleanup Detail has an ‘anti-motion sickness feature’. This basically just draws a fairly large circle in the middle of the hud. I don’t know why this works, but it does. Could this be added to the game?

If you would like any screenshots for how it looks like in Viscera Cleanup Detail I’d be happy to make them.

Thanks for your consideration.

8 Likes

Does it mean it only kicks in while in first person view? Would 3rd person view make it easier for you while you are waiting for the circle solution?

Saying that - even if it would, 3rd person view is not best choice for some in-game activities.

1 Like

Do you get this problem when playing at a different field of view or FOV?

1 Like

Yeah, we both do, even with different FOV. But we’re also both pretty sensitive (i.e. get sick in cars all the time).
Third person helps indeed, but as you said it’s not optimal (but is an ok workaround for now :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Have you tried turning off “head bob” in the game options?

1 Like

Yep, first thing we do when we play games :slight_smile:
Thanks for the suggestion though, appreciate it.

Some additional details:
We’ve also tried lowering the mouse sensitivity, which helps for her a little bit.
We don’t really get motion sick while exploring so much, but when building it is a problem. This is due to the fact that you move the mouse around much more while building, and everything you see moves faster as it’s closer by.

So basically if there could be an option to have the crosshair to have an additional quite large circle, that would be awesome!

2 Likes

Motion sickness is caused by a disagreement in your brain between the inner-ear and what your eyes see. It’s an evolutionary trait designed to make you vomit in case you’ve digested hallucinogens and are seeing things in motion that your inner ear isn’t registering. The only reason I tell you this is in hopes of helping you understand why some things work. The stationary circle gives something still for your eyes to see so that your brain doesn’t think you’re hallucinating.

Some of the things you can do is to move farther away from your screen, use a smaller screen, or adjust the lighting in your computing area so your eyes can more easily acquire the fact that you are not moving.

Good luck!

6 Likes

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/BenLewisEvans/20140404/214732/Simulation_Sickness_and_VR__What_is_it_and_what_can_developers_and_players_do_to_reduce_it.php has a bunch of references that might be interesting reads for various approaches, too

1 Like

Have you tried a controller? I feel like using a controller in Boundless make the motion much more smooth.

1 Like

Could you post some screen shots of this?

It’s not something I’ve heard of before. I also get motion sickness so it’s definitely something we’ll experiment with.

1 Like

Thanks for the consideration!

Wow, that is the strangest thing. And it’s working for you. This is the first time I’ve come across this feature.

1 Like

Out of interest, do you or your girlfriend get motion sickness when you have nothing equipped in either hand?

1 Like

Oef, no idea. We’ll have to try. It’s going to be hard to say as it’s a gradual process (you start feeling a bit off at first, it’s not instant), but I’ll try to find out.

1 Like
  1. You find that you feel fine playing with empty hands.
  2. You try to break a block…

Sorry, no offense meant. Just a thought on the situation here.
I know quite a few people with motion sickness but I have never associated it with problems while playing games. No one I know with the condition have mentioned that.
I guess we never stop learning.

Not that simple. Motion sickness normally arises for me when I play for a while when building, as everything close to you moves quite quickly. Of course I could unequip everything and move the mouse around quickly for half an hour, but I’m not even sure that would work, as I’d probably be moving, as well as paying attention, in a much different way than if I was actually playing. If there was an option to hide your hand while still building that’d be easier to test.

I have a similar problem when a game makes use entirely of procedural texture. I start feeling a headache and nauseous after a short while. And it happens only with procedural textures, most other games I am fine. I am not sure why either. I don’t have a problem with this game (hopefully never).

The purpose of the question was to understand if the animation of the held items and equipment was triggering the sickness.

If it was the issue then we could experiment with an alternative style of held item animation where they simply snapped into position rather then animating. Clearly this wouldn’t be as nicely presented but would make the game playable for people with the issue.

3 Likes

I understood that, just couldn’t help myself but think of it that way :blush: :innocent:

From a bit of poking around, motion sickness while playing games is due primarily to a hypersensitivity in the brain where the fact that you’re perceiving your perspective as shifting without your inner ear detecting movement triggers a built-in reflex that would normally make you vomit up the hallucinogenic substance(s) (that your body assumes you ate, you know, seeing movement without actually moving?).

The ring works for a lot of people because it gives your brain something stationary near the middle of the screen to fix on, so that it can sort-of maintain the understanding that it isn’t actually seeing REAL movement.

5 Likes