Append permanent personal property to the game

Oh I agree with that. As far as keeping your stuff! It could simply move to backup. Which shouldn’t cost much data other than the profile you already have anyway. I think they devs should put in a in game universal store. One we can visit and it be like a hub. Kinda like the lockers in borderlands. Our stuff can be stored there.

Perhaps having something like the Sanctuary where we spawn, where every character gets an area maybe 4x4x2 or something in size that even if you stop playing, is always safe for you, dont think it would take that much more data and it would be linked to your character,one of the biggest reasons I see people never coming back to this game is simply because they stopped playing for abit and lost everything they had.
The Data cost of this, if it remains small shouldn’t be very large, perhaps even link it to the sanctuary, so each sanctuary has another “portal” to your Sanctuary room, which u can move between and the sanctuary, allot of ways they could do it.

Your points are absolutely right and I have nothing to interject to aside from this, which I did cover under the quite lengthy section of going over server cost.

Effectively, assuming the world format stored on the servers is identical to the client format and can be compressed, a world can be stored within virtually no size whatsoever, and for a large corporation with datacenters dedicated to storage like this (hundreds if not thousands of terabytes of storage), the size I can estimate for a large private world (~5MB tops) is virtually imperceptible. I have no doubts that storage concerns would be present at all. I also go over simulation / computing concerns in that large section I wrote, so I won’t reiterate them here.

Here's some math to back up the space requirements.

For perspective, say they allocate a measly 1TB of storage to player sanctums, let’s make some numbers:

• 1000 active players who build there.
  • There’s 1000 players who joined and haven’t touched the place.
  • 500 of these active players have something no larger than the default sanctum, which according to the in-game data takes about 31KB. We’ll be generous and assume they got creative, and say the file takes 100KB.
  • The remaining 500 players will, for the sake of showing this off, have massive builds with thousands of blocks. These world files will take 5MB, or 5000KB.

Now let’s do the math:
100KB for 500 players = 50MB of world space
5MB for 500 players = 2.5GB of world space
1000 inactive players with default 31kb sanctums = 31MB of world space

That’s a total of 2.581GB of world space. So even with 2000 players accounted for, we still have 997GB of space left to spare.

But let’s not stop there. Let’s go extreme. How many players with giant worlds (5MB in our example) would we need to take 1TB? We would need 200K players all with worlds containing thousands on thousands of blocks.

Now given that this company has the proper infrastructure of a game company this large, or petabytes worth of storage, hundreds of millions of players could all have multi-thousand block worlds and it’d still be a safe amount of data to have stored without worries of “Is this taking too much space?” coming up.

How large do you think the company is? I don’t know the details, but I think I read somewhere they have a total of like 17 employees.

They don’t have any infrastructure themselves, the game runs on aws, buying a petabyte of fast storage on aws doesn’t sound cheap. But I haven’t actually checked the prices. 2k players sounds also quite low. They also can’t really compress the data if it has to be accessed with low latency, on top of that I think aws cold storage had a delay of 30-60 seconds when retrieving the data so the cheap petabytes won’t work here.

I’m not saying that it’d be impossibly expensive, but there is a cost.

edit: Yup I don’t think glacier would do the job here :smiley:

edit2: Don’t take this as an objection, we’re actually on the same side, here’s my post about storing the items and the storage concerns that came up

1 Like

Put everything under as few beacons as possible and use greater beacon fuel. I’m sure you can get a friend to help keep you fueled. I’d be happy to help.