Are memory or packet scanning tools allowed?

I would love this

Also I don’t know that portal directions would violate ToS.

Really the only things I know of that are definitely not allowed are:
Trying to see through walls when mining
Hiding grass to make gathering easier
Trying to dupe money or items

From what I understand, the player has to be near the portal for such coordinates to be exposed. Emulating player action (e.g “lie” to the server you are near a portal) is not allowed. Which totally makes sense. But I think there might still be a way without violating ToS. That clause totally makes sense and is pretty standard I believe. I haven’t done any exploration yet, just educated guesses.

(not commenting on anything else here, just this line), wouldnt actually be possible per-say, the closed-storages dont send any data to the client until interacted with so wouldnt be able to search in those, and client is only sent “nearby” storage entities even if open so wouldnt be able to tell you about seeds that are >X m away

5 Likes

You could do it by making your own database of all portals

Even if you could make a tool to tell us X region is on a cooldown(2hrs iirc) it wouldn’t make platforms irrelevant. If anything it would make them more relevant. People use them to see where they land better and to traverse easier not just to spawn them. And next tier wouldn’t matter as the size of the meteors are dependent on the amount of people when the meteor is triggered. But knowing a zone is on a cooldown before even going there would me you’d save the hunt leader coin as they wouldn’t be opening a portal to a zone on a cooldown.

Dunno what exactly you mean by this one. But you can already inspect other characters and see their skills etc.

1 Like

Assuming I know a where a storage unit is (X,Y,Z). Assuming the contents is only exposed when opening. You can still store the data locally whenever you interact. Wouldn’t be an ideal solution but still better than nothing. Major shortcomings off the top of my head are:

• If you changed storage contents when the tool wasn’t running, there would be data mismatch.

• There would be data mismatch if storage is shared and another player change the units contents.

The tool would rely on a database to query info and interactions just update entries.

1 Like

I’m going to share a perhaps unpopular opinion.

I’ll start by saying I have the utmost respect for people who have so far used third party tools for the benefit of the community, and they have done so in a way that is consistent with the following moral belief.

Nobody should be encouraged in any way shape or form to download third party software of any kind. Every download of an executable should be seen as a risk that jeopardizes your privacy and your information.
Every download of an executable should be taken with the utmost scrutiny, let alone running that executable. No matter how much a community has vetted something, or how trustworthy anyone claims to be. In general, in society, we should be teaching people NOT to take this risk. And we should not be rewarding downloads. Even in the hypothetical (and likely) situation where every hypothetical boundless mod is a good thing and not malicious in any way, we have done something unfortunate–we have taught people (who may come from various ages and backgrounds) that it is okay to just trust strangers and download stuff.

I am going to also address “but Alwin, what about X which already exists” concerns.

• In the case of grabbing exo colors, a small group of willing individuals do the work and take the “risk”, then share the info over forums, so that no one else is encouraged to download and run the executable
  • In the case of meteor mod, it is indeed unfair during gleambow, but mostly beneficial to non-modders during normal meteor hunts. Personally I do not encourage people to download the (very useful) tool, but to edit files manually and use Steam verification to reset. From my POV I read the python code and I believe reading/understanding 100% of the source code is sufficient vigilance to download and run something, which is not something everyone is readily equipped to do.
  • In the case of several third party websites, indeed website-based security concerns exist, and I am not an expert on that. But I believe that there is a somewhat less dangerous risk there. And importantly, none of the Boundless third party websites prompt you to download software.

So, aside from the “fair or not fair” questions, I just think the tools should not be available, even if I made the outrageous assumption that there is 0 risk in the tools themselves. It encourages a behavior I think we should discourage.

8 Likes

I think that’s reasonable.

Hunting would be crippled without meteor mod though. Perhaps the devs can put something like that in the game?

I solo hunt with no issues on ps4 so no clue how not having meteor mod cripples hunting

5 Likes

I agree, that’s why developers usually say download at your own risk. But if we want to be black and white about it. You don’t know what Boundless game exposes you to either. The little Python utility only uses standard library if i remember right, so you can be confident you aren’t exposed to anything. In a sense it is more secure than using Boundless. Boundless game is reliant on a large set of dependencies (to the uninitiated these can be considered “mini-programs”). It is closed source. It uses Websockets and UDP. Boundless devs might not be even aware that they have a vulnerability. That’s why you constantly hear about popular applications having huge password leaks. I see no reason why tool developers are to be less trusted than game developers.

Anyway, I wont be releasing anything publicly I think. People seem to be set in their way.

1 Like

Don’t mean to be rude. But just because you are happy with the way hunting is implemented doesn’t mean other people should be denied tools that make it more enjoyable or efficient for them. I wont release anything but I just find it odd people want to boycott essentially QoL for PC because PS4 doesn’t support or they feel intimidated by it. I can’t imagine going boycotting console exclusive games.

Honestly, that’s probably for the best. One day in the future, maybe people will realise that trying to maintain some ultimate overarching fairness (which Boundless already doesn’t fulfil) is a Sisyphean endeavour and you’ll be able to release useful tools and mods to the community. At the very least, you could inspire development of the API in new directions.

Until then, you should probably just view it as a fun side project to see what you can do, and report anything to the Devs that you think could be used for malicious intent. Seems safest.

1 Like

I never said they should be denied. I asked how hunting would be ruined if someone didn’t have that mod(was an implied question as it wasn’t said as a word for word question like i just laid out here(i spell it out here now because of how this community gets)) DK is also a ps4 player so he has no access to it as well. Unless he’s completely transitioned to PC(think he was wanting to play on pc can’t remember anymore) so I’d prefer if you didn’t make assumptions

1 Like

Assumption makes an ■■■■ out of you and me. Sorry for that :smiley:. The way it is ‘ruined’ (strong choice of words) is, when people try to hunt in mass, you can have people standing around for 15min (depending on the leader) with no meteorite in sight. Then run into a new region that is dried up by a solo hunter and stand around for more time. There might be a new player in those masses and I would be turned off by long idling.

Didn’t think that was an actual mod. Only meteor mod i know of is the one that makes the tails bigger and able to be seen from a further distance.

You can increase the range at which the meteorite icon is rendered at (50 by default up to 1000 is the mod i think). And you can see if it has active players from further distance.

All the more reason boundless on PC is superior i suppose. Would be cool if they could work mods in like Bethesda did

1 Like

You only receive entity updates from like 600 blocks away max (source: Meteorite Rules? - #8 by Simoyd). I don’t think such a tool is viable without having hundreds of characters logged in with MITM spread across all the planets. But that’s just a hunch I guess. It’s always possible there’s some data in there…

Again you’d need to farm this data somehow by moving characters around. (to be clear simulating game inputs is against the TOS)

doubtful. this is all server side but it’s possible

I agree, would be easier to just read the blocks from memory and show a transparent overlay on top of the game client window.

packet forging was used for the price harvester

They choose to control relevant things server side. Although there may be server bugs, I think the security model is pretty stable overall.

portals change and it wouldn’t be useful if there’s a significant chance to find a dead portal along the path every time you use it.

I totally agree with all this. Running mods through virustotal is a good idea. I also want to point out that almost every mod for every game has custom executable code in it.

4 Likes

@Wieghant are you not aware of this?

I only see one mention of it and no links in the thread, so …

The answer to the question in the title is yes. They’re used regularly, and openly distributed on the forum.

Several of the possibilities you mention have been done and it’s already known there’s enough data available to map resources.

Sounds like a self defeating arrangement :rofl: Always checking would basically always trigger them?

1 Like

I linked it to him earlier in DM. thanks though =D

yeah exactly. it’s not viable. hehe