Are there any plans for Boundless this year?

Yes, things change, mutate, and adapt and time goes on lol. In good ways and in not so great ways. You guys should stand up for what you believe in or are against. :fist_right: Respect.

Curious question for anyone (not sarcastic, not condescending, etc): If new games are desired, new content, new assets, QoL updates, better UIs, more customizations, ongoing general updates
what method would be acceptable for gaming companies and devs to fund them? Where should the funds to pay the artists, animators, programmers, level designers, lore/story creators, advertising and so on come from?

People want great games with updates, but are resistant to most methods of funding them. The initial purchase price doesn’t fund the on-going maintenance and development of games. What is acceptable? MTX? DLCs? A % fee taken from the sales of user created content? A fee to access to new content, perks, & customizations? Subscriptions for everything? (I’m sure there are other things I haven’t listed)

3 Likes

I’m fine with many types of microtransactions, anything not going much into P2W territory - cosmetics and such. Though some could argue on this point (the P2W) I think Boundless hit it out of the park with Sovereigns. While not happy about not being able to choose the planet they orbit, love everything else about them. You ALWAYS get basically what you are buying on paper (or digital code I guess, haha) - a world of a certain type with certain biomes. Though the RNG on a smaller scale can be frustrating
 and addictive. :laughing: But I do not see them as a loot box type mechanic.

DLC, great with me too, though not quite as thrilled with day 1 stuff I suspect might have been part of the game otherwise. But expansion packs well after release are great IMO, give me incentive sometimes to come back to stuff.

Fine with subscriptions too.

Oh, and definitely fees from user-created stuff, benefits both creators and devs I think, more stuff for players, win-win all around.

3 Likes

For a single player game, I think DLC is fine. You pay for what options you want to play the game with and if you are good with the base game, then you do not have to spend any more money.

MMO games like Boundless do not really support a DLC model since we all are in the same universe. If DLC gives me the ability to craft a certain block then how does that block display to those that did not pay for the DLC? Can you sell items created using DLC to players that did not buy the DLC? If the content is something like a new mob, then are there planets with the DLC mob where players without the DLC have no access? I think in a MMO a reliable source of cash for development and to pay for the ongoing server costs is a subscription. Beyond that I agree with @bucfanpaka that you have to be careful with microtransactions to avoid the P2W. I will also agree that things like sovereigns and cosmetics in Boundless do stay on the right side of that line. However, there are always going to be players that think that anything you can get using real world money and not through in-game work is P2W. I personally think this ignores the fact that an MMO needs funds on an ongoing basis not only to continue development but to just keep the game running. That, it seems to me, is the problem with Boundless right now. There is not a reliable cash flow going to the organization that is paying to keep the game running.

5 Likes

100%.

I would keep a Sovereign (or a few) if I could choose the planet it rotates around and it included a free portal I could set up to connect to the known worlds. Even better if it was part of Gleam Club Plus/Pro so that I could pay one price (like a subscription) instead of trying to remember planet fuel, Gleam Club, portal fuel, etc.

I do wish Boundless had a store like MC or Roblox where people could buy/sell/trade assets/blueprints. Imagine if we could create/trade world themes like MC. That would be awesome.

2 Likes

The usual methods would’ve been fine with me
 The problem is that this game never generated the kind of mass appeal to make any of those viable. If they needed to raise $2mil from a half-million people, our contribution would’ve been roughly $4 apiece and everyone would be happy. Sell an in-game outfit, sell a digital soundtrack, and you’re done.

But with the game’s population persistently hovering in the thousands, no method ever would’ve worked except all of us buying an Oortian backer package. And I think we can trace that problem back to the lack of initial content
 and I think we can trace that problem back to the lack of initial funding. It was like trying to start a car with no battery. If they had the $$$ to develop a better core experience from Day One, Boundless would’ve gone on a completely different trajectory.

Continuing with the car metaphor, consider their initial approach to funding - the old checklist that they used, where they committed to developing a feature only after they had raised the money to cover its cost. Imagine if Tesla never got any infusion of capital and they took the same approach. “Good news! We’ve raised $5000 this week, so it looks like we’ll be adding steering wheels!” But they still haven’t got enough for seats and doors?.. What kind of car is that?

If they had started the game on more stable footing, I bet this would be a whole different conversation.

1 Like

I do think this creates some unnecessary confusion and angst among players. You end up having to remember too many things and they are paid for in different ways and places. A single subscription that functioned as gleam club and covered the cost of 1 planet being fueled and maybe even 1 free portal is steady income. Of course this does not help players like @bucfanpaka that manage a universe of sovereign planets. but if they had a way to link your sovereigns to your steam or PSN account so that you could essentially get invoiced, that might work.

I also think the game could have benefitted from player mods. If the developers needed to concentrate on mechanics, then allowing players to create items to fill their builds and create more items to craft and sell into the economy could have been really good for the game. Might have kept a few more players interested.

1 Like

The thing is that all games don’t have to be live-services which require new content, new assets, or any of what you mentioned.
I personally don’t expect any of my future games to have anything beyond bug fixes. If they wanna do QoL updates, neat.

I look at “It Takes Two” for a great example of a game I paid, installed, played, loved, uninstalled, and will be keeping fond memories of, to the point where there was no hesitation when I voted for it to be GotY. If you have a best friend or are in a couple, get this game. Gob-approved.

I look at Warcraft 3. It had bug fixes and QoL updates. I paid for an expansion pack which in of itself was the full “new content, new assets, QoL updates, better UIs, etc” package for the price of basically another game. The creation tools were the additional cherry on top that made me keep playing it for a decade. But it had no in-game store. No loot-boxes. No DLCs. No subscription.

I look at The Witcher 3. Free bug fixes, QoL updates and small additional quests
 and 2 expansion packs overall doubling the size of the original full game.

Then I look at Boundless. A game I paid, installed, bought Gleam Club and Cubits again and again (to the point where I wouldn’t be surprised if I spent more than 1000€ on it), had A LOT of fun with, but became extremely frustrated with it because at the end of the day, the experience is incomplete, unfinished, and it’ll stay like that until SE pulls the plug, and Boundless will always live in my memory as that unfinished product I had fun for a while but then became frustrating.

So of course, you’re going to tell me “the 3 other games you mentioned are not MMOs” and I’ll reply “did Boundless really have to be an MMO?”
Think about how many people don’t play because they wanna meet other players, but because they wanna build and relax (and let’s be honest, if you go in-game, you’re not going to cross path with a lot of players). Think about update 249, which was supposed to allow us to run dedicated servers

The fact is that most new games are now being released buggy, unfinished, as live-services / MMOs, with in-game stores, possibly with loot-boxes, with RPG-gotcha mechanics, often open-worlds, etc.
Something has been lost. That’s not a good ‘mutation’ or ‘evolution’.
The only hope remains within the developers who are able to stand against this, like the boss of Hazelight Studios (It Takes Two).

1 Like

How were games funded 20 years ago? The problem we have today is that publishers are no longer wanting to spend on investment and are now stifling the creative process in the pursuit of profit over quality. An example being Grand Theft Auto V which has been out for almost 9 years with no single player expansions. GTA Online has created a revenue stream, via Shark Cards, that Take Two milk at the expense of any creative or meaningful content being released. Instead we are moving on to the third iteration of the same game instead of something new. To my mind, there’s not a hope in hell’s chance that this has been a decision of the creative people. This is simply bean counters being the unimaginative snake oil salesmen that they’ve always been.

Loot boxes, NFTs, etc have and will continue to stifle creativity in the pursuit of cheap financial gain. And gaming will suffer as a result.

3 Likes

This is rampant & I agree it’s annoying. As long as there are buyers that accept it, I suppose it will continue. Game studios have no incentive to change if it’s “working” for them.

Selling a copy of a single-player game was enough to fund other games in the past and I assume costs were much lower. Those games were developed, completed, and sold. You didn’t expect a new map in Castlevania, you didn’t expect new weapons in Mortal Kombat, etc.

Subscription models have been around for a long time and that seems to work well for a lot of MMOs as far as funding goes. Boundless as an MMO where people can play with family & friends is a good thing - I don’t see a problem there. If people want a local, single-player version too, I think that’s good too. Regardless, being this far into development with no updates to characters, cosmetics, creatures, weapons, etc is surprising. These days, games receive a bit of a player boost/hype/renewed interest with each update. Without that and without advertising, they don’t exist.

2 Likes

This 100%. And this is where it probably comes down to a generational difference. Kids growing up now don’t know anything other than paying for loot boxes, game currency, skins, etc. It’s normal for them and will continue to be so. It’s frustrating because you realise that anyone that has been playing games since the 80s isn’t an immediate consideration with regards to these modern business models. We don’t matter and will just look like moon howlers to kids. The big publishers will continue to exploit this so long as parents continue to fund kids wallets!

Of course, it’s not just kids that are gullible in this regard. (Hello, Star Citizen!)

1 Like

The one positive trend I see is Game Pass - I know there are a lot of fears about monopolization on MS’ part, but IF IT STAYS AS IT IS (the way they are running it and current pricing) it actually IS a very good thing for gamers. 4 months = the cost of just one full priced big game these days. And part of it is related to this too -

This is a much safer bet, way to get more people playing than trying to go it alone for a small crew; strike a deal with a big company that can afford a few fails to get some gems that might otherwise be hidden on their service. This is why I pushed the Spartacus thing before. I’ve seen multiple complaints online that it is getting to where indies really need to hire the type of PR firms they can’t afford and might not take them anyways to get the exposure they need. It is HARD to get that - yep, a few get lucky, small teams or a single person catching the eye of a big streamer or such then going viral, but that’s the exception and seems more rare these days. See so many cool looking games flying under the radar, little attention on social media.

Get a deal to go on Game Pass day 1, guarantees a certain level of exposure, plus no risk to try for subscribers. Of course, you’ll have to have a reputation already and/or a pretty good working product in works to pitch it and get that deal
 so not an option for an unknown just starting up most likely. But if Turbulenz had Boundless in development right now, 100% no question to me - strike a deal for Game Pass exclusivity and launch on day 1, PC and Console. Lose a lot of players who try it, yep, but enough still stick that then we WOULD possibly be in the territory of microtransaction sales being enough to sustain more development (and MS might be willing to keep it on there and support it even if not, being a cross-platform unique offering that has strong “stickiness” with the players who do stick with it).

1 Like

I got a feeling that the lower player population than other games of its kind, may be why they don’t prioritise it - If they’re even still working on Boundless. From what I’ve seen on the forums, I’m starting to doubt that they are. The silence speaks to “drag out time to get as many sales/gleam club/etc. as possible.” as there’s no positive reason to keep this silent.

Unless they come out of nowhere with a 2.0 update, of course
But that’s probably wishful thinking right now. Yet it wouldn’t be the first time; No Man’s Sky did that. But No Man’s Sky also had a spotlight the size of the sun, whereas Boundless really doesn’t.

Absolutely. She’s had her house right next to me on Dzassak since she started, I think. Extremely nice, the few times I’ve spoken with her.

1 Like

No it is not. They did not “bait us” with one model and switch it to try to take advantage of us.

That’s attributing an intentional action to try to take advantage of people. This is the common context that a “bait and switch” reference is used in. There is no data to show that view point or any technical justification for it. In fact, the technical reasons are clear on why they had to change that model out temporarily.

You could certainly argue that it was a bad decision and made no sense since people were used to using on character and ended up with another for the initial start. Also, they certainly could have communicated much better to everyone about why it happened until waiting for someone like me to ask the question.

Good news or bad news, the only thing I hope for at this point, is any communication from the devs.

1 Like

I tried to post this on the other thread before it got closed, but I’d like to put this out there anyway.

Given the fact that the universe has expanded so much with sovereign planets I don’t think it would be a bad idea to have a way for builds that have contributed so much to the economy and community to stick around even after the original owner has gone.

I’m thinking something like beacons and portals having their fuel topped up when footfall goes over a certain threshold. This would make some of the more beautiful large-scale builds persist as monuments to players of the past, and keep high-traffic malls and hubs around for those who rely on them.

3 Likes

I especially agree as it’s starting to feel like the game is on its last leg. The game should be less punishing.

4 Likes

Subscription 100% and a way for subs to be traded for in-game currency

1 Like

:thinking: like OSRS

2 Likes

I’ve minted a fresh batch of Robecoin! Get yours today for the low low price of all of your oort and worthless coins đŸȘ™ :wink:

Also selling tubes of anti-fungible cream for those sick burns :fire: :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes just like osrs or even wow, ff. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes