Are there any plans for Boundless this year?

I miss prioritizing investing in inventory space over atmosphere protection lol

2 Likes

Weirdest part was when they actually incorporated Lance perks into the character tree during a later point in Early Access… and then the perks suddenly got yoinked and the weapons never materialized.

WHAT WENT WRONG? I can only assume that voxel lances aren’t sharp enough to actually poke anyone.

1 Like

100% this. Said it before, but as the old saying goes, the opposite of love isn’t hate, it’s indifference.

… And I think that is a lot of why the silence from the devs bothers some of us so much. I’m trying to give the benefit of the doubt, that perhaps there is a legal reason, perhaps some important and perhaps even good (deal in works) factors we don’t know about. But most likely, as said before, they are probably just tearing a page from the ol’ corporate playbook - go quiet and get what you can before it all shuts down.

If so, this hurts, because I think a lot of us saw this team as different. A year and a half ago or so and before, I was promoting this game all I could, talking about how much this team cares and listens, how obviously it is a passion project. That sort of thing means a lot to me in a world so greedy and money obsessed. Yes, you have to make a living, I don’t begrudge profit motives but not as big on things where that is the ONLY motive (Zynga stuff comes to mind here… anything pure formula-following money-milking copycats). And on the big teams, I know you’ll usually have both, the creative and passionate types often in there doing work, then the money people at the top making big decisions. Anyways, the devs I personally like the most and try to promote the most are ones who strike me as having heart/passion for what they’re doing, and are following a dream - like the guy behind the Peace Island project for example, started with nothing, and even now will risk alienating potential buyers by taking strong stands on issues he believes in. So now I’m left thinking - well, ok, maybe it WAS a passion project and they are hurt by it too, so distancing themselves? Or was it all a really good act, playing it that way, maybe people like me not only annoyed them but were nothing but a big joke to them behind the scenes? :frowning: I don’t know, probably will never know so trying not to come firmly to the worst conclusions… and have to repeat again, still so happy for their own sakes they got the Larian deal and I do believe them regardless of any of what I said there to be good, hardworking people who deserve success going forward. Won’t say I won’t walk away with a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth, but also will try not to let it make me cynical about other teams and projects going forward.

6 Likes

If it helps, I really don’t think so that was the case. If nothing else, they’d have to have been pretty damned good at marketing themselves to get enough people to believe it if it wasn’t true, and that’s not a skill we’ve seen in abundance here.

Jokes aside, I genuinely believe it was originally a tech demo that turned into a passion project, and was never focused as a primary route to making/scamming money. Some of the stuff that was built in the dev world was far too good/creative to have been something done by people trying to sell a game, and must have been done by people who love builder games.

2 Likes

I forgot you have the balance sheet (maybe you should post it) and can see the millions of dollars they rake in each day after all the expenses. I guess for years while they were using outside contracts to help fund development it was just really a money grab.

As for caring… you’re clearly right that all their long hours were just because they were bored and had nothing to do since they were raking in those millions off all of us… I’m sure the Larian contract was just the same thing - boredom.

You’re so blinded, man. It’s blatantly obvious that one of the following is true:

1. They are unable to communicate with us due to something contractual
  2. They do not care to communicate with us by preference

In either case, they are 100% done with Boundless for the foreseeable future. Let’s just all agree that they’ve moved on and call it a day.

3 Likes

I don’t think that was the right word.

Johnson

For sale: tiger repelling rock
Before you say its bogus, do you see any tigers?

I’m curious how much of the “missing content” would have been implemented had the dev team not had to spend literal years playing mediator? How many times did a plotting war stop development? Or any one of the major communal implosions, for that matter?

How about having to revamp the beacon system to put in reclaims because “pirates are bad”?
(That’s still an advertised feature, and we just had a thread about how cool it would be to be able to save builds for people… unironically, no less)
How much time did that shift take away from features and future development?

Or how about everytime someone got upset and grudge-built a gleam tower/city that then required staff to mediate/remove?
How many times was this issue resolved in less than a day? And how many hundreds (if not thousands) of players have done something like this over the years?

How about no longer being able to plot over someone else? Wouldn’t that be an awesome feature, especially for our own builds? Didn’t we used to be able to do that? Why aren’t we able to now?

How many hours of development labor has been redirected at the community to resolve interpersonal disputes?

How many times has a dev posted a comment and immediately been yelled at/jumped on/shown vitriol?

How many times have you guys posted their quarterly financial reports?
Stalked their personal social media accounts?
Messaged them privately here or on other social media to let them know you don’t agree with their decision or wording or?

2 Likes

You’re right. Fixed. Not enough coffee yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is an epic :pig2: for sure! I shall see your pig and raise the ante by one sheep :sheep:

4 Likes

I have zero clue what’s going on here. Someone tell me what’s going on in this thread.

please, what on earth is happening? I couldn’t follow a single thing.

3 Likes

5 Likes

okay, what in Laniakea is happening? seems like earth wasn’t enough of a question :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Brief summary -

Fans are mostly :pleading_face: and :cry: trying to get an answer if development has a :pray: or if it is :coffin:.

Some :rage: and :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: too.

Devs are :zipper_mouth_face:.

Evil Paka is evil. :smiling_imp:

13 Likes

TLDR: Devs are :zipper_mouth_face:, thanks for the answer, don’t have to post the image I was planning on to confuse everyone else >:)

4 Likes

I don’t believe this has ever been the case. The system reserves your plots from mantle to max sky height. Seems like this is more simple & faster to load than allowing a mix of user plots, vertically.

6 Likes

Yeah… man… you are so right that it takes a certain amount of blindness to take a comment about ridiculous claims on a “direct threat to their income” and turn it into me being blinded on the situation around communication.

It is also takes a certain type of blindness to have missed the communication that did happen that stated exactly what they were facing. Why would they need to communicate anything else until the situation changed? There is no reason because a smart person would instead take any of that free time and try to solve the original problem - not pander to a group of people that seem to keep wanting people and the Devs to act exactly the way the want them too.

Also, I’m not sure how the Devs could be 100% done with Boundless when somehow they keep checking the forum and fixing critical bugs when needed. Whether it is for contract obligations or not - some are still here. I guess it takes a certain blindness to not see that either.

I’ve yet to see any person here that doesn’t know the exact dire situation the game is in. Nor anyone that isn’t happy one bit about the excessive silenced based communication style the Devs have chosen. Nor anyone that seems to think the game will all off a sudden go back to being all rainbows and hopeful beliefs that we had on release day. So you or others must be blind when you keep trying to call out those that prefer to just play the game as it is.

I get it is very important for those that have “quit” or don’t like the games status to keep coming to the forums and try to ruin the day for others because the Devs won’t do as they say, or everyone else won’t “quit” like they did… but actually, the people that are playing the game and just enjoying it for what it is, are not as stupid as you like to think we are. We just have a different perspective – we see the negative things happening that aren’t going to help the game, but seem to be able to move past that disappointment. I’m sorry that you and others are blinded by whatever beliefs you have about the situation and can’t just enjoy what we have - a game that will either continue or stop.

Sure there is a strong possibility that the Devs/SE are just waiting for their contracts to end and the Devs letting their AWS reserved instance pricing to stop before they shut down everything. Maybe they have figured out that they can’t survive in the long run and are keeping things on life support. In the end, though, the game is still playable and those of us that are will be fine with whatever happens in the long run… until that happens we will keep playing - because we can see a bigger picture and context -just enjoy the game.

2 Likes

I wish there was a downvote option for posts like this.

2 Likes

Good news is boulders gate is slated to be out of early access sometime this year.

baldurs gate 3 lol so nostalgic hahah
whats next for wonderstruck heretic 5 hahahahaha