Are titanium tools worth the hassle?

Ive been trying to get to the point where I can mass craft titanium tools and it just feels like they require WAY too many resources to craft. I would be ok with that if they were better then gem tools but as far as I know they arent right? What reason would anybody ever have to go through the trouble of crafting titanium tools? Correct me if Im wrong but I’m pretty sure this is what is needed to craft just ONE titanium hammer:

26 gold ore
52 copper ore
26 silver ore
26 iron ore
16 titanium ore

not to mention the large amount of spark needed to craft each portion. I feel like my calculations are wrong because of how insane those requirements are so if somebody could check that for me that would be great.

1 Like

From what I can gather, there seems to be no reason to craft titanium, other than for the crucible and furnace, or if you’re interested in using titanium blocks in your build. Titanium appears as an off-white, slightly yellow alternative to silver.

I agree. I think I’ll just hang on to my finished titanium blocks until theres a reason to craft with them.

1 Like

I think titanium was designed to be for people who can’t get their hands on gem tools. I imagine once the game is released gems will be in shorter supply due to the higher demand. Not only that, but once portals are balanced we won’t be hopping to any planet we like with as much ease as we do now.

Then again, even if you’re bound to a starter world, with no access to gems, why wouldn’t you just make gold tools instead? Has anyone tested the difference between the two? From what I can gather, a gold hammer can mine everything a titanium one can.

2 Likes

A gold hammer can mine everything, full stop.

I suppose a titanium hammer might do the same in less hits (on average) since gold hammers do 6 damage on a block with a chance somewhere from 25-50% to crit for double that amount. Titanium might very well do eight or twelve damage, but I wouldn’t know since they cost such a stupid amount of spark from having to alloy. You do silver-steel-steel for 360 spark then gold-copper-copper for another 360, then you need TWO of each of those to alloy for ONE titanium ingot, along with ANOTHER 360 spark for a total of 1,800 spark for ONE INGOT! Of which you need 20 and another 1,440 spark to get the two refined titanium you need for a tool, along with a yet further 720 spark.

Total it all together, and a single titanium hammer will set you back a ludicrous 38,160 spark, compared to the mere 4,320 a superior gem tool will cost you. You’d have to be a lunatic at this point to use titanium ANYTHING.

Total titanium tool cost:

-80 copper.
-80 iron. EDIT: Apparently silver alloy only takes one iron, so 40 iron instead of 80.
-40 silver.
-40 gold.
-20 titanium.
-all the fuel necessary to smelt the above 260 pieces of metal. EDIT: Similarly, 220 pieces of metal.
-38,160 spark.
-A perverse titanium-lust induced frenzy driving you to sacrifice,

5 Likes

TL;DR: Cook, you either calculated too low on everything or you calculated for mass crafting. Either way, VERY NOT WORTH as things stand.

Note: A mass-crafting of compressed hard coal will net you about 500k spark, but I am NOT about to spend ~40% of that on mass-crafting titanium tools! LOL!

3 Likes

A gem spanner it totally worth it and requires titanium to make. It heals your machines 30 points.

5 Likes

Hell, I’m so interested now, I’ll have to make one Titanium hammer

I used titanium hammers, they last long, and they 3 hit every block. But they are not worth it, maybe only in grapple and slingbow forms if you cant make gem versions from them.

1 Like

So the are more durable than gold ones?

Yes, a little, I dont remember how much more, but at least a little. :slight_smile:

I’ve been working a few days now to gather the materials for a 50 batch of refined Titanium… Good lord is it expensive!

3 Likes

For the amount of materials it takes to make these tools, it should last as long as silver + gold combined, becoz to make a titanium it pretty close to making both a silver and gold tool at the same time. If it only lasts a little longer than gold, then its totally not worth it.

2 Likes

Perhaps it would be more worth it if it had gold’s crit-hit chance as well? Though I theorize that where Titanium will really shine is in the upcoming forge :wink: this is the reason I am stockpiling refined titanium.

4 Likes